Untethered horses

def90

WKR
The horse maps listed above are just management areas and wild horses can be found in many other places outside of these management areas. Pretty much anywhere between Grand Junction up through Craig and in to Wyoming. Some down in the Southwest corner, pretty sure there is a wild horse herd around the Alamosa area.

JoshOR

Lil-Rokslider
I was on the SF Flathead in Montana and a loose herd came through our camp. They were an outfitters and just were loose grazing. A couple had bells around their necks, most were branded. Was surprised to see them but must be the norm. They rolled in the dust in some well used spots, hung out for a minute, then crossed the river and headed out.

Mike 338

WKR
One time I ran into a skinny mule in the mountains. No halter and it kept its distance when I approached. More than likely, it was always hard to catch and just got away from its owner who got tired to trying to catch it and just walked away. So many resources on horse training. Not sure why people don't take advantage of them.

One time my mule picked her lead knot she was tied up at night and went "a wandering. When I finally found her a couple miles away, someone removed her halter thinking they were doing her a favor. I guess that was a judgement call but it sure made things difficult to ride her back. I occasionally run into Mustangs. The whole herd may be curious and approach me to about 30 yards but no closer.

Difference between feral and domestic... I don't know. I've seen plenty of feral horses in peoples back yard that they've been feeding for 10 years.

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
White hair from poor fitting saddle up on the withers also indicates a broke horse.

Or one that walks into your wall tent is a clue.

A significant proportion of any of the "mustang" herds in Nevada and Idaho were not born wild - every economic downturn sees people releasing their hay-burners out into the wild when they can't sell them. A number are escapees. But an unappreciated amount also get taken into the wild by stallion mustangs. They can and do steal domestic mares that are loose for their herds, cutting them out by nipping, biting, and body-checking them.

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
A significant proportion of any of the "mustang" herds in Nevada and Idaho were not born wild - every economic downturn sees people releasing their hay-burners out into the wild when they can't sell them.
It's too bad they shut down the canners (not sure if they're still outlawed). Ive seen people keeping horses
way longer than they should and would ship them if they could get a few hundred bucks instead.
One guy told me "It was 25 below that morning and I went out to check on the old boy . Figured sure he wouldn't last the night. He was frozen to the ground. Darned if he wasn't still alive. har, har, har!"

The guy should have been horsewhipped.

It's too bad they shut down the canners (not sure if they're still outlawed). Ive seen people keeping horses
way longer than they should and would ship them if they could get a few hundred bucks instead.
One guy told me "It was 25 below that morning and I went out to check on the old boy . Figured sure he wouldn't last the night. He was frozen to the ground. Darned if he wasn't still alive. har, har, har!"

The guy should have been horsewhipped.

Completely agree.

It's arguable that the single worst thing to happen to Nevada's mule deer and antelope populations, was the shutting down of the canners. Feral horses are absolutely hell on their habitat, even in rugged, steep country.