Unit 64 Out of season Caribou, Porcupine herd.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing about this outfitter sounds legitimate. As has already been stated, no outfitters are typically operating in that area this time of year. Not saying you couldn't find someone to fly you out on skis but it would be highly uncommon. 25a is the middle of the Arctic, to claim that warm weather is melting the snow and making it to dangerous to land is assenine. You can look up some Temps and see this was a BS claim by the outfitter.

The caribou that may be hanging around the area will all have shed their antlers months ago. So if your friend way looking for a trophy bull he would be out of luck. I guess it would still be an adventure in the Arctic though.

I'm wondering what was in the "Kit" your friend purchased through the outfitter? Hopefully a -40 degree sleeping bag and an Artic Oven tent. That area can regularly be the coldest in the state. I hope your friend gets his gear.

Any reputable outfitter will honor the money paid towards a hunt at a later date or next season in the even of a hunt getting canceled due to a weather event or being shutdown. Has your friend tried to reschedule the hunt date? Say for August or September.

Keep us posted and definately let us know what outfitter this is as soon as you're comfortable doing so.

OP
AndyB

AndyB

WKR
Nothing about this outfitter sounds legitimate. As has already been stated, no outfitters are typically operating in that area this time of year. Not saying you couldn't find someone to fly you out on skis but it would be highly uncommon. 25a is the middle of the Arctic, to claim that warm weather is melting the snow and making it to dangerous to land is assenine. You can look up some Temps and see this was a BS claim by the outfitter.

The caribou that may be hanging around the area will all have shed their antlers months ago. So if your friend way looking for a trophy bull he would be out of luck. I guess it would still be an adventure in the Arctic though.

I'm wondering what was in the "Kit" your friend purchased through the outfitter? Hopefully a -40 degree sleeping bag and an Artic Oven tent. That area can regularly be the coldest in the state. I hope your friend gets his gear.

Any reputable outfitter will honor the money paid towards a hunt at a later date or next season in the even of a hunt getting canceled due to a weather event or being shutdown. Has your friend tried to reschedule the hunt date? Say for August or September.

Keep us posted and definately let us know what outfitter this is as soon as you're comfortable doing so.

Will do, I can say he is not an Alaska resident though just in case people are wondering.

elkguide

WKR
As soon as my friend has received the rest of the gear the outfitter is supposed to be sending him, I'll post him, :)

From the sounds of the rest of the story.............. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.

Sounds like your friend got scammed........ BIG TIME!!!!!!!!

Would be nice to hear the rest of this, many people are working the in's and out's of their upcoming season and some of them may be trying to plan a caribou hunt.

colonel00

WKR
Subscribing as apparently I missed this thread the first time around and it sounds like a train wreck.

popcornemot.gif~c100

pgk

FNG
WTF ever happened with this? The Porcupine herd spent most of the winter in the vicinity of eagle plains, nowhere near Alaska, so this has to be BS. Was this guy planning to hop the border illegally? Definitely some kind of scam here.

pgk

FNG
25A is not an ideal geographic location to reach the Porcupine Herd in spring. They are in Canada this time of year and will begin their migration north and west starting around early June. Whoever this pilot is seems like he might be blowing the proverbial smoke up the arse!

I'd also like to know who this is, because no one flied into 25A for spring caribou.

LB

If my quick search is correct, 25A is Arctic Village and a decent portion of the herd spent the winters of 13/14 and 14/15 around there...so "they are there" however I don't know AK hunt regs whether or not they can be hunted there by anyone other than subsistence. They were also in the vicinity of AV during late summer 2015 and made a run for the Eagle Plains area where they rutted in fall 2015. They spent this winter (15/16) basically in the Ogilvie/Peel/Eagle Rivers area. I'm not clear on this hunt's proposed timeline, but suffice to say it still stinks...

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This is total BS, guys...dont waste your time even considering it.

Caribou in that region have several distinct and very separate migration patterns to separate regions. Where they are in winter and spring and summer is widely variable and the only times we concentrate on are fall migration in august and september...otherwise winter and spring habitats aren't even in the same general vicinity.

LB