Unit 64 Out of season Caribou, Porcupine herd.

AndyB

WKR
Anyone have any info on this unit this year, has the weather been a factor in transporters not taking people out of Fairbanks into the area?

Floorguy

WKR
I think the lack of a unit 64 has been a factor in transporters not taking people into the area more so than weather.

AndyB,

I just got your PM. Could you please do me a favor and post it on this thread? That has to be some of the most ridiculous stuff I have heard of in a very very long time. Maybe ever, with regards to hunting and people being "taken for a ride". Please post it for all to see.

Wow...

Anyone hunting unit 6, likely wouldn't be starting their bush flight from Fairbanks. However, based on the PM and details within, that you sent to me, this guy may have been trying to hunt on the moon from the sounds of it.

Please, could you post the underlying details for all to see? And the "outfitters" name, if you have it?

OP
AndyB

AndyB

WKR
Anyone hunting unit 6, likely wouldn't be starting their bush flight from Fairbanks. However, based on the PM and details within, that you sent to me, this guy may have been trying to hunt on the moon from the sounds of it.

Please, could you post the underlying details for all to see? And the "outfitters" name, if you have it?

Hi Nick, Thanks for replying to the thread.

A friend of mine booked a hunt with an outfitter, around a year ago.

He was told he was hunting a 'special' new unit,64 in Alaska with out of season caribou tags, this March. I assume it was brooks range as he was told he would be hunting the porcupine herd. He was supposed to fly out 2 days ago for his hunt via Boston, anchorage, Fairbanks then out to hunt with a transporter/bushplane.

Anyway long story short, his outfitter told him a week ago that the bush planes had stopped flying people out because it was un seasonably warm, the snow was melting and it was too dangerous to land, and that the caribou had moved out of the area.

So, trip cancelled and no refund. He had paid in full, £3600. He had also spent another 5k on kit for his hunt with the outfitter, but its not getting anything back from the 3600 for the hunt that stinks the most. Outfitter told him it was standard practice not to get any refund what so ever.
Is there guide association or state dept that you could recommend I try to speak to next as it sound to me like he's been had big time.

Thanks, Andy.

I've left out the outfitters name and whereabouts for now as my friend is still supposed to be receiving all the kit he bought through him, shipped, as the hunt was cancelled. I'm away form the pc for a few hours but will check this when I return. :)

Thanks for posting that!

This sounds like one of those emails from Nigeria asking for money to bail them out, or about someone winning a large sum of cash.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
are you talking about GMU 26C?

Air service out of Coldfoot or Happy Valley or Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay?

elkguide

WKR
I've never heard of any reputable outfitter not honoring the down payment or otherwise for the upcoming season if Mother Nature inserted her hand. If this guy is really not giving your friend anything back, please let all of the rest of us, and every other forum out there, know about them to avoid any of us getting taken.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
25A is not an ideal geographic location to reach the Porcupine Herd in spring. They are in Canada this time of year and will begin their migration north and west starting around early June. Whoever this pilot is seems like he might be blowing the proverbial smoke up the arse!

I'd also like to know who this is, because no one flied into 25A for spring caribou.

LB

Hi Nick, Thanks for replying to the thread.

A friend of mine booked a hunt with an outfitter, around a year ago.

He was told he was hunting a 'special' new unit,64 in Alaska with out of season caribou tags, this March. I assume it was brooks range as he was told he would be hunting the porcupine herd. He was supposed to fly out 2 days ago for his hunt via Boston, anchorage, Fairbanks then out to hunt with a transporter/bushplane.

Anyway long story short, his outfitter told him a week ago that the bush planes had stopped flying people out because it was un seasonably warm, the snow was melting and it was too dangerous to land, and that the caribou had moved out of the area.

So, trip cancelled and no refund. He had paid in full, £3600. He had also spent another 5k on kit for his hunt with the outfitter, but its not getting anything back from the 3600 for the hunt that stinks the most. Outfitter told him it was standard practice not to get any refund what so ever.
Is there guide association or state dept that you could recommend I try to speak to next as it sound to me like he's been had big time.

Thanks, Andy.

I've left out the outfitters name and whereabouts for now as my friend is still supposed to be receiving all the kit he bought through him, shipped, as the hunt was cancelled. I'm away form the pc for a few hours but will check this when I return. :)

You NEED to post the outfitter name!

OP
AndyB

AndyB

WKR
25A is not an ideal geographic location to reach the Porcupine Herd in spring. They are in Canada this time of year and will begin their migration north and west starting around early June. Whoever this pilot is seems like he might be blowing the proverbial smoke up the arse!

I'd also like to know who this is, because no one flied into 25A for spring caribou.

LB

Your inbox is full Larry, :)