Understanding Idaho Tag for nonresident

Hello there, I've been hunting montana the past few years but am going to take a year off to guarantee a tag there in 2026. I want to hunt Idaho next year but want to understand the process first. The idaho fish and game website states that the nonresident tags will open for purchase on 12/10/2024 this year. With that being said, when on that date (is there a specific time?), will all the tags for all zones be available to nonresidents, and you just go on, select your zone, A or B tag, and purchase that simple? Are there only a certain number of tags for each zone? Are those types of tags something that sell out immediately? Are your odds of getting to purchase the tag the same whether online, calling in, at physical location, etc?

jchamwv

FNG
I believe to purchase online you have to create an account, then the morning of the drawing you login, get assigned a random number, and wait for your turn to draw (if your lucky). And from what everyone says every year, the system will crash.

OP
T
If you do it In person or over the phone is that more reliable? If in person, how does that work with the online queue simultaneously going at the same time?

Fullfan

WKR
On line, log into your account just prior to the sale. You will be placed in a virtual waiting room; at 10 Idaho time you will receive a random number around 13k. And you will wait and watch as all the tags you would like be sold. Good luck getting through on the phone too.

OP
T
On line, log into your account just prior to the sale. You will be placed in a virtual waiting room; at 10 Idaho time you will receive a random number around 13k. And you will wait and watch as all the tags you would like be sold. Good luck getting through on the phone too.
I appreciate you airing your frustration with it, but just looking for some real insight on how to best deal with it. I travel a lot for work so if in person has a real advantage I’d like to know how that works

OP
T
I appreciate you airing your frustration with it, but just looking for some real insight on how to best deal with it. I travel a lot for work so if in person has a real advantage I’d like to know how that

Fullfan

WKR
I appreciate you airing your frustration with it, but just looking for some real insight on how to best deal with it. I travel a lot for work so if in person has a real advantage I’d like to know how that
If you want a tag, be in Idaho on the 10th at a vendor. But then again there in no 100% way to guarantee you will still get the tag you want.

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
He's telling the truth. You can go stand inline at a vendor but there are no guarantees there either. Might be 20 in front of you or none. Their system crashes also.

OP
T
That’s what I am trying to figure out… at the vendor are they using the same online system, meaning you are in the same line regardless of if you are online or at a vendor?

elkliver

WKR
welcome to the Sh!t Show! Idaho's non resident system is stuck in limbo between a first come first serve and a random draw. with a bit of random system crash thrown in I guess as long as they are selling out of tags, there is no reason for Idaho to fix it...

OP
T
If I do go to a vendor, are you only allowed to buy tags for yourself, or can I get a tag for my wife if she is not present?

nphunter

WKR
It depends on the tag you want. You login to their website and get placed into a queue. You want a low number, preferably under 1K to get a good tag. I was like 8k last year and still picked up a decent tag for both deer and elk. There are a few tags that the numbers were greatly reduced a while back that sell out very quick. A lot of the northern ID stuff lasts most of the first day for deer and elk. Anything South or East goes the quickest. Open country is easier to hunt, ID is all steep and everything north is thick and steep so people don’t hunt it as much. Elk and deer numbers are still good hunting is just harder and the weathers typically worse up north as well.
Figure out where you want to hunt first and have a plan A-G just incase the first few tags are sold out. Personally I’ll be after one elk tag and if I can’t get it I’ll just do deer. I also have great elk hunting here in OR and ID is just an opportunity for me to kill a second six point bull with my bow each year.
You don’t have to have a license prior to the sell but do have to buy it when checking out with your tags. You defiantly want to create an account prior to the 10th.

nphunter

WKR
Also just because a person has a low number doesn’t mean they’re getting a good tag. I know guys who have been like 200 in line and bought a whitetail tag that was still available a week later. I believe you can buy your wife and kids tags either online without logging out or at a vendor. I’ve purchased both my boys deer tags, I think youth tags are separate though and don’t even count toward capped tags.

I’m pretty sure mentor/youth tags are good for the whole state as long as they are hunting with a mentor with a valid tag in that same unit. So if you get a tag you just buy them youth tags if there between 10-17. At least this is how it was a couple years ago, youth also have different regs for Orange and can harvest does in some units.

OP
T
Thanks to everyone that has responded. Is there a location where it says HOW MANY tags a certain zone will have, and then is that broken down by resident/NR, etc?