Under Armor Hunting Drops Bowmars

OP
G

gauge

Lil-Rokslider
I started this thread and it think it got a little off track but that can be expected on a issue like this. What I really wanted discussed was UA's handling of the issue. We all agree they knew about this video long before they decided it was an "unethecial" way to hunt. Also, with a quick IG search you could see UA actually shared Josh with his spear. I know everyone has different opinions about if they botched it or not.

For those of you who said Brian didn't discuss the celebrating on the GB, listen to the podcast all the way through. Somewhere towards the end it was discussed in length. I personally thought GB done a pretty good job at challenging Josh in the interview while still being respectful. Again, with a polarizing issue like this you can't please everyone.

Hopefully some good comes form this, and if nothing else, it should make us as hunters more aware of what we face when we think hunting is a right. Our "rights" are one social media post away from being challenged everyday. Remember that this fall guys....

Kilboars

WKR
As Joe Rogan pointed out in Cam Haines podcast, at least UA has a hunting division that does cater to hunting.
You don't see Rebok, Nike or Adidas with hunt apparel.

Kilboars Hunt Club

I started this thread and it think it got a little off track but that can be expected on a issue like this. What I really wanted discussed was UA's handling of the issue. We all agree they knew about this video long before they decided it was an "unethecial" way to hunt. Also, with a quick IG search you could see UA actually shared Josh with his spear. I know everyone has different opinions about if they botched it or not.

For those of you who said Brian didn't discuss the celebrating on the GB, listen to the podcast all the way through. Somewhere towards the end it was discussed in length. I personally thought GB done a pretty good job at challenging Josh in the interview while still being respectful. Again, with a polarizing issue like this you can't please everyone.

Hopefully some good comes form this, and if nothing else, it should make us as hunters more aware of what we face when we think hunting is a right. Our "rights" are one social media post away from being challenged everyday. Remember that this fall guys....

I listened to it, I'm not sure I would call it a challenge, but he does mention numerous times why UA would act the way they did, I didn't catch an instance where he talked about joshes conduct in the video, it's a long podcast so I may have missed it, and I do have to answer calls at times.

Listening to it again I actually think Josh Bowmar is an even bigger tool, and is really really full of shit. He sounds like a little kid who got spanked after he did something wrong.

To your question about UA, I don't like how they worded the letter, but I respect the fact that they can choose what to do with their business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pramo

WKR
I'll never understand the "hey, hey, hey look at me I'm shocking!!!!" aspect of people especially when it comes to social media. Under Armour is in the business of making money not supporting some jack wagon looking for some fame, that will hinder the ability for UA to make money.

If your in public or going to post all over the web then have some dignity with what you post and how you act. If the guy speared something great, how about he never tell anyone and enjoy the meat...

UA is not anti-hunting they are anti-idiot representing their brand

jm1607

WKR
UA is not anti-hunting they are anti-idiot representing their brand

I 100% agree

Alot of hunters have some idea that to be pro-hunting you have to approve of all-hunting and hunters, including all the dumb asses out there

PA 5-0

WKR
So, for all the UA lovers/Bowmar haters, hangin your hats on Josh's celebratory actions post kill, I have a question.

For the record, you folks are OK with UA releasing a statement TO THE WORLD that this quick, clean TOTALLY LEGAL bear kill "was reckless and we do not condone it.." ???

From where I sit, there is no middle ground. It's pretty black and white. You either support LEGAL HUNTING, or you don't.

And for those that stand with UA, please remember your position when UA releases their next statement saying your Rage broadhead splashed too much blood or your Berger bullet broke too many bones.

jm1607

WKR
So, for all the UA lovers/Bowmar haters, hangin your hats on Josh's celebratory actions post kill, I have a question.

For the record, you folks are OK with UA releasing a statement TO THE WORLD that this quick, clean TOTALLY LEGAL bear kill "was reckless and we do not condone it.." ???

From where I sit, there is no middle ground. It's pretty black and white. You either support LEGAL HUNTING, or you don't.

And for those that stand with UA, please remember your position when UA releases their next statement saying your Rage broadhead splashed too much blood or your Berger bullet broke too many bones.

Over the years I've watched alot of hunting TV shows and alot of hunting Youtube videos with things I don't condone or support in them, all of which were legal. With that being said, I do support legal hunting (obviously). I mean, if I didn't then why would I apply for sheep tags in Arizona when I could fairly easily go down to the remote Arizona borderlands and poach a sheep? So.. I'm not sure why it has to be so black and white. That's like saying you have to believe in 100% of the things Trump does or you aren't a true republican.

I'm absolutely ok with them releasing that statement, I don't agree with it but again its their business.

I think it's unfair to say its black and white because I don't think it's even close. I don't support hunters that use helicopters to hunt tahr in NZ, land the helicopter take two steps on the mountain shoot it then let the guide get it. I don't support high fence operations, I don't support guys taking photos of them fake ****ing dead animals in the ass, and I don't support people that shed unfavorable light on our community by acting like jackasses.
I don't support guys who grab their bow 2 days before the season screw on some BH's and start flinging sticks all over the place leaving God knows what wounded in the mountain. I'm not going to go out of my way to hinder those activities as they are legal, but if someone asks I'll give my opinion, and its that those people are jackasses and don't represent hunters as a whole.

Again I have no beef with the spear or the bear, or the bait or anything, I have a beef with him filming himself act like an idiot, then... Post it to YouTube Now I like him even less as he acted like he never wanted a ton of people to see it ... Then don't post it to YouTube guy.

I would love to see your gear list PA because I guarantee there are companies that are far more anti then UA ever will be.

And I'm not a Bowmar hater, even though I think he's acting dumb, and I don't even like UA's clothing.

Just because you don't agree with something doesn't make you a hater, it means you have a different opinion, last I checked this was America.

I Thought This Was America - YouTube

Last edited:

PA 5-0

WKR
I'm not going to go out of my way to hinder those activities as they are legal,

Yet you support UA doing that very thing.

"Just because you don't agree with something doesn't make you a hater, it means you have a different opinion, last I checked this was America."

Come on Brother, I'm all about free speech and differences of opinion. But it's a big jump to go from offering a difference of opinion to deeming a legal act "reckless". UA just did that on a global stage. If anyone thinks our hunting heritage wasn't just punched in the face, you are denying reality.

This isn't about a spear or Josh or a drunk dude butt humping a dead deer. It's about a billion dollar, publically traded, global company denouncing your sport and your heritage.

This thread has me thinking we're about two steps away from being England.

Yet you support UA doing that very thing.

"Just because you don't agree with something doesn't make you a hater, it means you have a different opinion, last I checked this was America."

Come on Brother, I'm all about free speech and differences of opinion. But it's a big jump to go from offering a difference of opinion to deeming a legal act "reckless". UA just did that on a global stage. If anyone thinks our hunting heritage wasn't just punched in the face, you are denying reality.

This isn't about a spear or Josh or a drunk dude butt humping a dead deer. It's about a billion dollar, publically traded, global company denouncing your sport and your heritage.

This thread has me thinking we're about two steps away from being England.

I support UA's right to run their business as they see fit. Again I DONT AGREE with how they went about it or how they worded it, but in not going to burn my UA stuff or sign a dumb ass petition to have UA take Sara Bowmar back.

I do think that certain types of hunting are reckless when placed in front of the media, hunting is a brutal thing at certain times, and when you shine the light on the brutality only, with no context it doesn't translate well to people that didn't grow up hunting.

Trapping is a good example. I've trapped all my life, but I would never post a photo of an animal in a trap, or a video of how I dispatch animals, I will show them the work that goes into setting a trap line, the work that goes into processing the animal, the work that goes into tanning and stretching a hide, and the finished product.
Trappers and houndsmen were their own worst enemy buy giving the anti's more fire power against them in the form of photo's and videos.

"Look at these fat lazy hunters making their dogs tree this poor bear and walking up and shooting it"

They didn't get to show the 10 miles plus those guys put on in that day to get that bear tree'd. Why? Because the hunters failed to create context.

I don't blindly support every legal hunting method or hunter, I am not going to try and explain why guys choose to hunt game under a feeder on a high fence hunt in Texas, because I don't know why they do it its legal but not my thing. I'm not going to explain why some trappers decided to never check their traps in a timely manner or chose to continue to run their trap lines in high traffic areas where they kept snagging people's dogs. Now there are so many regulations it's not even worth doing. I absolutely do think that showing non hunters certain hunts or aspects of hunting is reckless, case in point California and Oregons bans on types of bear hunting, numerous states bans or severe limitations on trapping.

Absolutely Anti's want to take away all our hunting, that doesn't mean we have to feed their fire and make it easy for them. We can't just keep yelling " it's legal, it's legal it's legal" we will turn around and soon nothing will be legal.

Last edited:
I support UA's right to run their business as they see fit. Again I DONT AGREE with how they went about it or how they worded it, but in not going to burn my UA stuff or sign a dumb ass petition to have UA take Sara Bowmar back.

I do think that certain types of hunting are reckless when placed in front of the media, hunting is a brutal thing at certain times, and when you shine the light on the brutality only, with no context it doesn't translate well to people that didn't grow up hunting.

Trapping is a good example. I've trapped all my life, but I would never post a photo of an animal in a trap, or a video of how I dispatch animals, I will show them the work that goes into setting a trap line, the work that goes into processing the animal, the work that goes into tanning and stretching a hide, and the finished product.
Trappers and houndsmen were their own worst enemy buy giving the anti's more fire power against them in the form of photo's and videos.

"Look at these fat lazy hunters making their dogs tree this poor bear and walking up and shooting it"

They didn't get to show the 10 miles plus those guys put on in that day to get that bear tree'd. Why? Because the hunters failed to create context.

I don't blindly support every legal hunting method or hunter, I am not going to try and explain why guys choose to hunt game under a feeder on a high fence hunt in Texas, because I don't know why they do it its legal but not my thing. I'm not going to explain why some trappers decided to never check their traps in a timely manner or chose to continue to run their trap lines in high traffic areas where they kept snagging people's dogs. Now there are so many regulations it's not even worth doing. I absolutely do think that showing non hunters certain hunts or aspects of hunting is reckless, case in point California and Oregons bans on types of bear hunting, numerous states bans or severe limitations on trapping.

Absolutely Anti's want to take away all our hunting, that doesn't mean we have to feed their fire and make it easy for them. We can't just keep yelling " it's legal, it's legal it's legal" we will turn around and soon nothing will be legal.

Thanks for writing that man, you hit the nail on the head for how I think of it. Like'd ur chopper comment and high fence comment earlier as well.

rodney482

WKR
Did you enjoy Rinella's trapping show? Should have he aired that?

elkyinzer

WKR
I will just say the GB podcast with Aron and Brian discussing the issue was on point, one of the first ones that held my attention all the way through. The one where Brain interviewed Josh and Sarah wasn't too bad either. Good job fellows.

OP
G

gauge

Lil-Rokslider
I really feel like this thread topic is dead, but I wanted to share this video for those who have not seen it, Ascent by Clay Hayes. As the GB podcast discussed, context is king when you have the content to make a hunting video. The production cost is probably higher than Bowmar's are spending, but just think of how their video could have been viewed differently if it was shared with this context.

Very well done.... Ascent - Traditional Bowhunting Muleys with Clay Hayes - YouTube

rodney482

WKR
Here is what I got from it.

If you are going to show the public what we do and how we act then edit the hell out of it and make it PC. Not a bad stance but I have mixed feelings about the subject.

I also agree with Aron that UA clothes suck but they have given to several hunting organizations and should get a little slack.

The industry has had to change the way we show things (evolved). I remember when we almost never showed the butchering of animals (and never ever gutting). Now the meat is the first thing you see.

We can not get too excited on film because killing an animal needs to be somber (we just took a life)

At what point do we just stop showing hunting on TV or water it down so much that hunters lose interest?

When I watched Josh's video I thought nothing about his jumping around.. I also did not think OMG here come the anti's. I dont recall one person (pro hunting) that came out objecting to it... Until UA cut ties with his wife.

I will just say the GB podcast with Aron and Brian discussing the issue was on point, one of the first ones that held my attention all the way through. The one where Brain interviewed Josh and Sarah wasn't too bad either. Good job fellows.

Did you enjoy Rinella's trapping show? Should have he aired that?

I have not seen it? I don't have cable TV so if it's just out then no I have not. What season is it on?

I love rinella and he is one of the best faces for hunting we have IMHO, but I'll refrain from comment until I see it.

There is no way around it though, trapping can be a gruesome thing, even a lot of hunters don't like or understand it. It's just something you have to grow up with I think.