UM RokStok + metal bottom metal issue - probably user error

fwafwow

WKR
I received my High Desert bottom metal yesterday. I will just focus on the one issue that is probably user error - which I know is my (fully justifiable) default when something isn't working.

When I installed the new BM into my UM RokStok, all was good with the action screws at finger tight. When I torqued down a bit (not even 30" lbs), I can't get the trigger to pull or the safety to engage. So sort of the opposite of the "slam fire" or ND issue that others have posted about in the RokStok, Stocky's VG2 threads. When I switch back to the OEM BM, the issue goes away.

I have spoken to Thomas at High Desert and he has been extremely responsive, and concerned. At his request, I shared with him some of the other posts I had recalled dealing with the shims. Note - in that regard, I had originally installed 3 shims and still could not get the magazine to seat, so Thomas sent out more shims. I had not tried to use the trigger or safety with the shims, so I will try using the 3 provided (and additional) shims to see if the trigger and safety issue go away. But I have promised to return the BM to Thomas and will do so without firing the rifle.

Note - after re-reading some of the other posts, one of the threads talked about a tolerance issue with the trigger relief cut. Please see the attached pictures where some of the Cerakote has been removed at the bottom of the trigger relief cut. Could that be the issue?
IMG_2280.jpeg IMG_2281.jpeg

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The only two stocks, with multiple samples of each, that have had issues for me using high desert bottom metal are the Stockys VG2 and the RokStock.

Factory, Mcmillan, Manners, AG composites, and Mesa brand stocks, with multiple samples of each, have had zero issues and none required shims.

Rokstock and Stockys VG2 have required shims on all of mine, 4 VG2 units and 3 Rokstoks units so far.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Thomas was very quick to offer me a refund.

I thought about ordering UM BM, but I think that would mean new magazines. Maybe I just leave well enough alone, which I think someone cautioned me about before (maybe @atmat ?)

amassi

WKR

I thought about ordering UM BM, but I think that would mean new magazines. Maybe I just leave well enough alone, which I think someone cautioned me about before (maybe @atmat ?)

Correct the um bm uses their proprietary magazines which also stick out of the stock quite far.
As said above throw your plastic bottom metal in there and rock on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atmat

WKR

I literally almost posted on this saying “don’t go trying to solution a problem that doesn’t exist” in regard to replacing bottom plastic. But I didn’t want to rub salt in wounds.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Last edited:

swavescatter

Pain in the butt!
Soon as I get my day 1 Rokstok order I’ll reach out to Thomas. I have one of his bottom Metal kits waiting. He’s local and always willing to meet up and get me taken care of. Great guy - even installed my CR-1 riser for free on my ember stock.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My high desert BM needed all the shims to work with the rokstok. I hate how spongy the factory plastic is when you’re trying to torque the action screws.
Someone posted some shim washers recently for <$10 for a 50pack that fit and take up the space left in the factory mag metal insert.

Edit Amazon link: https://a.co/d/8xkAS8x

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Single large High Desert shim on rear screw will fix the auto fire issue without keeping the mag from latching.
-J

Attachments

• IMG_2665.jpeg
    IMG_2665.jpeg
    708.3 KB · Views: 31

atmat

WKR
I think you may have posted that previously and I disregarded!

EDIT - I remembered correctly.
Post in thread 'Stocky’s Hunter VG Tikka stock'
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/stockys-hunter-vg-tikka-stock.321460/post-3340798
If it ain’t broke.

My high desert BM needed all the shims to work with the rokstok. I hate how spongy the factory plastic is when you’re trying to torque the action screws.
I don’t like the sponginess either, but it doesn’t fail/affect performance, seemingly works better than all other options, and comes in $120-200 cheaper than the other options.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think i've seen this mod referenced before, but is the idea basically to take up some space so you're compressing the factory plastic less when torquing?
The idea is they fill in the gap between the molded in metal screw hole and the bottom of the plastic. So when you torque it down you aren't distorting the metal down (which might be the sponginess you're feeling?) or risking tearing through the unsupported metal.

I had to shim my factory plastic bottom metal when torqued to 60-65 in lb to make the HCA mag latch. Mike at HCA said there is a tolerance window that is fairly wide on the tikka end so he had to pick a number and it doesn’t always work without a shim.

I did find larger diameter washer with a small hole is best. I sunk a washer or 2 right into the plastic stock around the metal sleeve. That shouldn’t be an issue on RokStok but I still think a larger surface area would be better to avoid any movement.

When was your High Desert bottom metal made? Have you had it a while??

I only ask because I bugged Thomas for a long while about a bottom metal from him that would take the KRG Midas trigger. I got it in, installed it in the Rokstok and it was a perfect fit. He asked if I’d needed any shims cause he made it intending for it to not need them. No shims for me. Maybe the process and fine tuning the BM has taken place? Just speculating based on my sample of one.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
When was your High Desert bottom metal made? Have you had it a while??

I only ask because I bugged Thomas for a long while about a bottom metal from him that would take the KRG Midas trigger. I got it in, installed it in the Rokstok and it was a perfect fit. He asked if I’d needed any shims cause he made it intending for it to not need them. No shims for me. Maybe the process and fine tuning the BM has taken place? Just speculating based on my sample of one.
If you are asking me, I just received my BM on 10/15, so brand new. I don't want to speak for him, but Thomas said that his BM isn't intended for after-market stocks. He mentioned he was going to update the website, which now states "These stocks are designed work with factory Tikka stocks. The will also work with McMillian, Manners, AG Composites, and Mesa Precision Arms. A gunsmith may be required when installing a bottom metal on Boyds, Stockys, and the Unknown Munitions Rokstok."