UM Hinged Scope Rings

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
7fd7641f20e36d0342cbf3bb002fc94c.jpg

When you see the rings on the table they look big but on a rifle they looks great. The fit and finish is perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dturbin22

FNG
c56dee7d806e8bb54a49830d4df35971.jpg

The Tikka version that uses the Tikka rail is coming soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Can’t wait to get my hands on these, anything UM makes is best in class. These look awesome!

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
May as well tag in, I’ll try to field what questions I can.

As far as twisting the scope, the rings are machined in matched sets as UM mentioned. There are custom machined .02” shim stock spacers between the upper and bottom ring when doing this. When you pivot the top clamp over, it goes from zero contact to 100% contact, keeping it from rotating.

The two photos below help show this. The bottom of the first pic has partial shims shown. The second shows where they go when boring them.

434EFA45-BC5E-4A52-B055-245705B7E973.jpegBE80D11E-7176-45DC-8E7C-9EC9A17BC5A6.jpeg

What’s the benefit of having a gap in the cap? Weight savings but allows you to engage a wider section of the scope tube?

A dumbed down version without the hinge and bubble for half the price of these would be popular. If a machine shop would just copy the TO84, put threaded holes in the bottom for an adjustable threaded recoil lug/pin, and sell them for $75……. They would win rokslide
These rings look super cool, but $200 for rings is above my pay grade.

A dumbed down version without the hinge and bubble for half the price of these would be popular. If a machine shop would just copy the TO84, put threaded holes in the bottom for an adjustable threaded recoil lug/pin, and sell them for $75……. They would win rokslide
These rings look super cool, but $200 for rings is above my pay grade.
Yup.

They look sweet, I will probably try them out on a tikka I am thinking of rebarreling to 7 prc. I dont think the 200 bucks is out of line really, hawkins rings are right in that ball park and I have used those on my last 2 guns and really like them.

Dobermann

WKR
Well .... I got all excited, then checked the webpage to see that the highest option will only be 1.25" ...

I'm in the camp of modern positional/field shooting, where 38 mm / 1.5" - maaaybe 35 mm / 1.38" - is the way to go.

@Unknown Munitions: any chance of higher rings in the future?

Last edited:

morgaj1

WKR
May as well tag in, I’ll try to field what questions I can.

As far as twisting the scope, the rings are machined in matched sets as UM mentioned. There are custom machined .02” shim stock spacers between the upper and bottom ring when doing this. When you pivot the top clamp over, it goes from zero contact to 100% contact, keeping it from rotating.

The two photos below help show this. The bottom of the first pic has partial shims shown. The second shows where they go when boring them.

View attachment 490909View attachment 490910
Very interesting design. I understand the spacer used in production, but don't understand how this design does not pinch the scope tube.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Very interesting design. I understand the spacer used in production, but don't understand how this design does not pinch the scope tube.

It does pinch the scope tube. It essentially has zero contact until it’s fully cammed over. The spacer isn’t there when you’re installing it onto the scope, which lets it tighten down that little bit further and fully grip the scope body.

Ken