UM barrel program

Has anyone had a barrel done from UM? I’ve used one company for all my chamberings and I’ve had 0 complaints on quality or performance, however the price for everything is way up there. I’ve used the UM guys for so many components and parts and they get so much of my business but I’ve never used their services. What draws me in is their barreling service is significantly lower in cost for all that you get. Can anyone give some feedback if you’ve had a chamber done by them and how well you like the work?

Axlrod

WKR
They did one for me a couple months ago. I sent them a Bartlein barrel and a Tikka receiver. Spoke with Blaine several times throughout the process, he is very knowledgeable. Everything turned out excellent, gun shoots well.

I had McGowen send them my #3 in .257. UM cut the receiver threads, chambered in 25-284, and mounted to my Tikka action. Open communication throughout the process and the fit/finish and results are spectacular. It took me 2 rounds to zero and the next 18 are shown here. If it wasn't for mirage and a disappearing 1.25" dot at 100 yards, I would've done better.

Attachments

• 08022024 2.jpg
    08022024 2.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 22

TxLite

WKR
I had McGowen send them my #3 in .257. UM cut the receiver threads, chambered in 25-284, and mounted to my Tikka action. Open communication throughout the process and the fit/finish and results are spectacular. It took me 2 rounds to zero and the next 18 are shown here. If it wasn't for mirage and a disappearing 1.25" dot at 100 yards, I would've done better.
What was the cost for that vs just getting a prefit made by McGowan and shipped to your door for DIY install?

What was the cost for that vs just getting a prefit made by McGowan and shipped to your door for DIY install?
Barrel from McGowen was $435.13. That included 5/8x24 muzzle threading and cap, because they were about $70 cheaper than UM for this service. UM total was $440, including custom chamber/throat to fit 3.14" OAL, so all in it was around $875.

The same barrel as a prefit from McGowen would've been $605 plus tax ($42), shipping (?), and my time. I also would've had to source barrel install tools from folks on here or purchase myself.

For me, the extra cost to have the experts at UM do the install was totally worth it. I may DIY a prefit at some point, but for my first semi-custom I wanted it done without any self-imposed drama.

TxLite

WKR
Barrel from McGowen was $435.13. That included 5/8x24 muzzle threading and cap, because they were about $70 cheaper than UM for this service. UM total was $440, including custom chamber/throat to fit 3.14" OAL, so all in it was around $875.

The same barrel as a prefit from McGowen would've been $605 plus tax ($42), shipping (?), and my time. I also would've had to source barrel install tools from folks on here or purchase myself.

For me, the extra cost to have the experts at UM do the install was totally worth it. I may DIY a prefit at some point, but for my first semi-custom I wanted it done without any self-imposed drama.
Ok. The reason I ask is I’ve got a brainchild 16-18” 6 creed that I’m considering buying a barrel for. The McGowen prefit comes out to $467 shipped with their current sale so I’m considering doing it.

How much are you paying now? Seems like you’d need to do 3 barrels and want cerakoting for the savings to stand out at least compared to some prefit options out there. If they knock off an additional $80+ / barrel to do a bead blasted finish or even no coating, then it gets interesting IMO.

Who does the barrel chambering at UM?

Last edited:
You can also ship your action to McGowan and have them spin it on. They'll also custom throat it.
PBB will also.
The cost for the same barrel, installed by Preferred with lapping included, is $765 plus shipping. $700 without lapping, and I'm not sure if UM does this when they chamber or not.

After listening to Jake on the podcasts, he was passionate about the process and quality UM delivers with their chambering and installation, and hey, its Rokslide so I went with them. Couldn't be happier with the result.

Ok. The reason I ask is I’ve got a brainchild 16-18” 6 creed that I’m considering buying a barrel for. The McGowen prefit comes out to $467 shipped with their current sale so I’m considering doing it.
Yeah, the 15% off adds up for sure, and if you can confidently DIY the barrel, I'd say go for it! The only thing I'd do different is have the barrel fluted. The #3 is pretty heavy.

How much are you paying now? Seems like you’d need to do 3 barrels and want cerakoting for the savings to stand out at least compared to some prefit options out there. If they knock off an additional $80+ / barrel to do a bead blasted finish or even no coating, then it gets interesting IMO.

Who does the barrel chambering at UM?
Apologies, I don't recall the fellas name that chambered mine. However, he was a very nice guy and was happy to answer questions. It wasn't Blaine, but all my email communications were with Blaine.

I selected bead blasted matte stainless for my barrel, and that was handled by McGowen.

The cost for the same barrel, installed by Preferred with lapping included, is $765 plus shipping. $700 without lapping, and I'm not sure if UM does this when they chamber or not.

After listening to Jake on the podcasts, he was passionate about the process and quality UM delivers with their chambering and installation, and hey, its Rokslide so I went with them. Couldn't be happier with the result.

I'm not saying none do but lapping barrels isn't something that typically happens after a blank leaves a barrel manufacturer.

I'm not saying none do but lapping barrels isn't something that typically happens after a blank leaves a barrel manufacturer.
Gotcha, and I don't know if UM laps barrels as part of their chambering process. Preferred will do it for an upcharge, but several guys on here have said it's unnecessary. I don't know enough about it to say either way, but I've heard its kind of a gimmick, similar to "trued and blueprinted" custom actions. However, I'm not an expert.

Gotcha, and I don't know if UM laps barrels as part of their chambering process. Preferred will do it for an upcharge, but several guys on here have said it's unnecessary. I don't know enough about it to say either way, but I've heard its kind of a gimmick, similar to "trued and blueprinted" custom actions. However, I'm not an expert.

Preferred is a barrel manufacturer, so they are lapping or not lapping their own barrels. Lapping is a basic expectation of most any reputable barrel blank, thus it is not customary for most current gun plumbers to do it because most any barrel blank they are charging $350+ to do machine work on has already been lapped.

I'm not familiar with any barrel blank mfr beyond preferred that sells unlapped barrels. Mcgowan, Wilson, xcalibur, etc are all lapped.

Last edited:
Preferred is a barrel manufacturer, so they are lapping or not lapping their own barrels. Lapping is a basic expectation of most any reputable barrel blank, thus it is not customary for most current gun plumbers to do it because most any barrel blank they are charging $350+ to do machine work on has already been lapped.

I'm not even familiar with any barrel blank mfr beyond preferred where lapping is an option. Mcgowan, Wilson, xcalibur, etc are all lapped.
Good to know and thank you for the information