Starlink for basecamp?

dwils233

FNG
I'm curious if anyone has invested in a starlink setup for their family camping and/or basecamp applications for hunting, and their experience or feedback.

I'm loathe to bring internet into my hunting and camping experiences, but I'm pragmatic enough to know that it would provide some degree of family comfort/permissiveness for extended hunted or fishing trips without cell service (we're talking 10+ days)

I've put real consideration into a starlink mini setup, paired with my power bank to at least do short check-ins with my wife and kids for longer trips....but I also really like being disconnected. I also wonder if it could enhance my ability to work from the field during the summer, spending a half day working remotely and the other half camping/fishing with the family for a couple days.

OP
D

dwils233

FNG
IMO this is the worst idea I’ve ever heard. No offense.
No offense taken. I don't think it is a great idea, and I imagine I share the same instant disgust you have.

BUT then I think...I could take my kids on a week plus camping trip and only need to take half days off to do emails and meetings, essentially doubling my available vacation time while being able to increase the amount of outdoor time I could spent with my family. Right now, it's mostly three day weekends. My work itself doesn't keep my tied to a desk, only internet access does really.

I've got some co-workers who work 1/2 days on thursdays and fridays all summer- they use starlink for morning work and then fish all afternoon in a national forest.

Do I want internet all the time? God no. Do I want the ability to stay in the field, away from my family, longer? yeah, that pretty appealing.

At the end of the day, my wife will be the one who makes the final call really- if she says that communication access is what she needs for me to skip town for weeks at a time- I think that its reasonable I respect that and try to resolve it. I also know the world has changed, and while my dad could pull off disappearing like that, it's just a different time now.

I just bought the gen 3 since it’s on sale now for $300. Used it now on 4 outings and it was the best investment ever. The speeds are faster than you’d expect and i really do like being connected to the normal world to a certain extent. It’s hard with work having to be so disconnected for long periods of time and this will help immensely. 10/10 recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmyth

WKR
I've had Starlink since it launched and take it with me on all of my trips. Before Starlink I could only get away for a week at a time and would have to drive to town every couple days to respond to my clients emails and return calls. I was always stressed out that I was going to miss an important call or email. Each trip would cost me thousands of dollars in refunds, chargebacks, returns and lost opportunity. Now with Starlink I can hunt multiple times per year. I set up my Starlink at my basecamp and every evening I'll turn it on so I can respond to emails and return any urgent calls. I understand that not everyone needs to be "connected" while hunting and that's ok. Now that I have Starlink I can hunt multiple States each year and not have to worry about the financial impact of losing my income while doing so. I'll be hunting cow elk in AZ, bull elk in NM, Cow elk in WY, assisting my bother with his bull tag in WY and will wrap up the year hunting mule deer in AZ. I'll go early and return when I'm ready. Starlink has been a game changer for me.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am posting from Starlink while on my elk hunt...

It might not be a great idea for lots of people. Heaven knows, I needed a break from social media and the internet this summer. So, if hunting is a break, then don't take it.

But, it sure is nice to be able to work, VERY REMOTELY, and hunt. When I am hunting, I barely take time to stop to eat, so I don't think it will be a distraction. But, for many others, it would be.

Starlink will definitely come on more hunts and trips with me. It will be the reason that I can get out more, while working remotely.

Those with Starlink, have you had any issues getting LOS with satellites? How does VOIP do with Starlink—any jitter or latency?

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
Following cause I’m having a similar internal debate. I like being disconnected, but if I could respond to emails I could probably stretch my trips a few days longer.

fmyth

WKR
Those with Starlink, have you had any issues getting LOS with satellites? How does VOIP do with Starlink—any jitter or latency?
No issues with LOS. You will download the Starlink app to your phone to control the unit. The app has a feature that allows you to point your phone up and do a 360 deg scan of the sky. If there are obstructions it will show on your phone screen. I did buy a 100' cable to allow me to place my tent in the shade but still get the dish into an area wo obstructions. I've had some latency issues a few times but was still able to complete my phone conversation.

No issues with LOS. You will download the Starlink app to your phone to control the unit. The app has a feature that allows you to point your phone up and do a 360 deg scan of the sky. If there are obstructions it will show on your phone screen. I did buy a 100' cable to allow me to place my tent in the shade but still get the dish into an area wo obstructions. I've had some latency issues a few times but was still able to complete my phone conversation.
Nice, thanks! Im almost an empty-nester and was planning on getting a Starlink too!

I do.

I was able to extend a few of my hunts last year because I was able to knock out work stuff in a few evening and weather days. Biggest asset to it is WiFi calling. I had a few calls I had to be one

They are power hogs though so plan on small gen set unless you are rolling with big batteries

j3h8

Lil-Rokslider
If needed/wanted for extending your ability to be in the field due to work/family with internet addiction, go for it.

If you simply need communication with the family get an inReach or similar that allows text communication. You can also invest in a cellular booster if you're near your rig.

My first experience with Starlink was last fall on a boat between some islands off Kodiak! Some cool shit to FaceTime with the wife and kids to show them everything at night when we got back. I don’t work remotely or own a business. So inreach works for right now.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
What app are y'all using to make phone and facetime work with Starlink Mini?

I have an Iphone 11 Promax and Starlink Mini.

Do you guys that also have Starlink Mini think folks that haven't seen it know how big it is?

I use mine at work sometimes but usually still use my Verizon Mifi most of the time. We have a lot of trees in SC especially at the resort islands where I work.

I'm planning to bring it to the North Maine Woods in October.

I feel like 2 pitfalls or potential disappointments for folks that haven't interacted with it is the size of the dish and the amount of power it will suck out of your power bank.

It's really fast tho.

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
I've used the standard and mini in various remote areas, mostly for work. I recently bought a standard unit for camping and hunting, in case I need connectivity. Works better than it should in all situations I've put it in.

In my experience, the question you should be asking is:
how do I power this for my needs?

fmyth

WKR
I run a 12v fridge and my Starlink with the cheapest Jackery unit available at Harbor Freight. The fridge is plugged in 24/7 and sits under the vestibule of my Kodiak tent. I run the Starlink for an hour or two each day/night and it pulls very little power from the Jackery (starlink dish defrost feature turned off). I'll bet I could run it for eight hours without charging the Jackery. The Jackery is connected to a 100W Harbor Freight solar panel but the little Jackery can only accept 58w incoming. If the sun is shining the Jackery will be 100% when I get back to camp after dark. Occasionally I'll run my Honda EU2000 Generator at night for an hour or two to top off the Jackery and charge our phones/Inreachs and Anker battery packs. As soon as one of us makes a kill we fire up the Honda to cool down the 7cf chest freezer we bring so the others in the party can keep hunting and not worry about the meat/ice etc. If I had it to do over I'd buy a larger Jackery or similar power bank. I didn't want to spent too much and take the risk of someone stealing it all while I am hunting. None of this is necessary but I am at the point in my life that I'm will to pay a little more money for convenience. If I didn't have the 12 fridge and 7cf chest freezer I could leave the generator at home as the solar will keep the Jackery charged up for my 1-2 hours of daily starlink use.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-09-14 at 12.06.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-09-14 at 12.06.23 PM.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2024-09-14 at 12.06.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-09-14 at 12.06.56 PM.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Screen Shot 2024-09-14 at 12.07.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-09-14 at 12.07.10 PM.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screen Shot 2024-09-14 at 12.08.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-09-14 at 12.08.02 PM.png