Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
Shaw has portless barrels on their website now in .223 Wylde FYI

I picked one up and hope to have it up and running in time for deer season here in PA.
Mark me down for one as well. Same here for making a PA-legal deer rifle. The race is on for my Shaw barrel and my Jolene S to cap her off.

Still expect to get a spot check if the PGC sees it in the field......

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
You guys are doing a great job of encouraging them to keep building these! Looking forward to see all these build ideas.

I put this together for a guy that wanted one as a packable rifle option to carry while bow hunting.

I used mostly stuff on hand including a Wilson Ultralight 5.56 I'd barely used (barrel from first build pictured in this thread). I didn’t have much experience with the barrel, but did a quick sight in off my tailgate at 25 yards and it put Remington UMC 55 grain and 73ELD-M next to each other and the two 73ELD-M through the same hole. Should be a great shooter and apparently not too picky about what it shoots.
20241017_114753.jpg

The three circled shots were the UMC slighters. The hole next to the top circled hole is the two 73ELD-M shots.
20241017_144946.jpg

Got my 6 ARC upper thrown together. Not meant to be the lightest possible and I had a hard time finding a barrel weight that was built light. They all favored full. I didn’t want to commit to two solo uppers since the arc might not chamber and extract great. Used a BCA side charge upper and a BCA 16” barrel in a mid weight profile. I don’t have and lower stuff yet so I’m sitting about 2 pounds heavier there and I have a 20 oz scope with the mount it’s almost 32 oz.
At 8 pounds 10 oz now and that will come down 2 plus pounds.

The exciting part is how this thing shoots!
5 shots (2-6 on barrel after a sighted and adjust) measuring 5/8” center to center. Adjusted down and took on more. Touching bull so called that good and went to 425 yards. Dead centered a plate with one shot. 12” plate. Moved to 571 and took two shots both hits. I don’t have a bipod mount so that’s off a molinator bag.
108 ELDM factory.
IMG_4707.jpeg

Then I shot 5 of the factory 103 eldx. Had one shot I rushed. Other 4 also measure 5/8” center to center. This was after I was adjusted for ELDMs. Aim point was bottom right intersection of yellow and pink IMG_4709.jpeg

If I end up anywhere close to 6.5 pounds I’ll be super happy. My next closest rifle is pushing 9 pounds.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Got my 6 ARC upper thrown together. Not meant to be the lightest possible and I had a hard time finding a barrel weight that was built light. They all favored full. I didn’t want to commit to two solo uppers since the arc might not chamber and extract great. Used a BCA side charge upper and a BCA 16” barrel in a mid weight profile. I don’t have and lower stuff yet so I’m sitting about 2 pounds heavier there and I have a 20 oz scope with the mount it’s almost 32 oz.
At 8 pounds 10 oz now and that will come down 2 plus pounds.

The exciting part is how this thing shoots!
5 shots (2-6 on barrel after a sighted and adjust) measuring 5/8” center to center. Adjusted down and took on more. Touching bull so called that good and went to 425 yards. Dead centered a plate with one shot. 12” plate. Moved to 571 and took two shots both hits. I don’t have a bipod mount so that’s off a molinator bag.
108 ELDM factory.
View attachment 779327

Then I shot 5 of the factory 103 eldx. Had one shot I rushed. Other 4 also measure 5/8” center to center. This was after I was adjusted for ELDMs. Aim point was bottom right intersection of yellow and pink View attachment 779328

If I end up anywhere close to 6.5 pounds I’ll be super happy. My next closest rifle is pushing 9 pounds.
Is this set up as a gasser, or manual extraction?

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
If that is a non gas build with the BCA upper I'd love to hear about it. Thinking of turning my 6.5 Grendal into a straight pull, mostly so it is quieter with a suppressor.