Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

Taudisio

WKR
Has anyone thought about a folding bolt handle for the Solo 300? I thought there might be something like the Primary Arms folding magnification lever that could be fitted but I'm coming up short after that. I wouldnt hate trying something like that to keep the bolt from rubbing/opening on my gut when walking in the brush.
Carrying it for the later half of spring bear, I never had an issue. Have you bumped yours out of battery?

I have another idea for a bolt in the works with a gunsmith…

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't carried it a ton yet. Mainly at the range and no issues at this point but it just feels like knocking the bolt out of battery is possible.

I do a lot of tree stand hunting on private land so it won't be an issue there. But, I do walk through some pretty thick crap on public land, moving the rifle all over so I don't get hung up, and that's what my concern stems from.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
As far as a bolt getting knocked out of battery, I"m sure it's probably a little different for each of us and even varies on what we're doing at the time.

Overall you'll probably find it to be less of an issue than you think it might be. When I have my rifle slung on my pack and getting through thick, tough terrain it does happen on occasion from bouncing around against my pack frame (right handed carry), but so would some bolt rifles from the brush.

I've gotten into the habit of an occasional tactile bolt check if there's a round chambered. If there's no round chambered the hammer spring tension holds it closed anyway.

It will be interesting to see Taudisio's creation 👍

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
So I am in my final configuration. Not as light as it once was, but more useful.

The previous red dot wasn't super easy for me to use in bright sun and my eyes were really working OT at 100 yards so I decided to go LPVO. A 1.5-4X range with an actual reticle should be perfect for my hunting area.

Also went from a tiny sling to a ms1. The adjustability and comfort were worth the couple oz.

Attachments

• PXL_20240729_174436694~2.jpg
    PXL_20240729_174436694~2.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

gtriple

WKR
So I am in my final configuration. Not as light as it once was, but more useful.

The previous red dot wasn't super easy for me to use in bright sun and my eyes were really working OT at 100 yards so I decided to go LPVO. A 1.5-4X range with an actual reticle should be perfect for my hunting area.

Also went from a tiny sling to a ms1. The adjustability and comfort were were the couple oz.
That's probably about where I'm going to end up. As light as possible on everything except I'll probably keep an NX8 1-8 on it.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
The magnification range matches up with where I hunt (Northeast). I might shoot a deer at 5 yards or maybe 200 yards... Mostly 25-75 yards. My Leupold weighs 9oz. Can't argue with that weight.

robtattoo

WKR
As far as knocking out of battery, I spent most of the week before last with mine riding in a Kifaru gunbearer (I ditched all my slings a while back) either hiking around the hills, or riding my little TW200. I took several spills off the bike, including jamming the rifle forend into my chest hard enough to crush the carbon tube & have to rip splinters out of my tit. I slipped &slid down a couple of muddy hills & banks & generally treated everything I had on or with me like shit.
Didn't knock it out of battery once.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
As far as knocking out of battery, I spent most of the week before last with mine riding in a Kifaru gunbearer (I ditched all my slings a while back) either hiking around the hills, or riding my little TW200. I took several spills off the bike, including jamming the rifle forend into my chest hard enough to crush the carbon tube & have to rip splinters out of my tit. I slipped &slid down a couple of muddy hills & banks & generally treated everything I had on or with me like shit.
Didn't knock it out of battery once.
Note to self: Do not fall on a CF forend.

Maybe my PVC forend isn't such a bad idea after all...

robtattoo

WKR
Note to self: Do not fall on a CF forend.

Maybe my PVC forend isn't such a bad idea after all...
Crushed forend... no biggie. $25 to the ChiWanese ebay people, job done.

Pulling long, barbed, razor sharp splinters out of your own tiddy with wet, filthy fingers & Leatherman pliers? Yeah. Literally as much fun as it sounds.

Pigs don't hear screams though. 🤣

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
The magnification range matches up with where I hunt (Northeast). I might shoot a deer at 5 yards or maybe 200 yards... Mostly 25-75 yards. My Leupold weighs 9oz. Can't argue with that weight.
The leupolds I get as the weights actually low I more mean the typical strike eagles, NX8s etc that all weigh 18-25ozs.
Same reason as jbradley. I'm going to try out a few different optics on it though. A compact ACOG is another option. If I could find a good fixed 4x, I could try that.
Do you actually find the 1x etc any more useful than say a low end of 3x etc of most common variables? I ran a 1-8 on my AR and found I could run a 3-9 for absolutely no loss in functional range. No problem shooting in close range on pigs in the bush here in NZ at 30ish yards range. Maybe it's a personal preference thing but I really found the functional gain of a 1x magnification in a scope was minimal especially for the weight it added over the commonly available and cheaper 2.5-8s or 3-9 type optics. Nowadays I'd likely just try pick up a fixed 3x optic for a sub 100 yard rifle.

Trackselk

WKR
Anyone happen to have the dimensions of these 17.xx oz 16" barrels? I'm out of town and LRI is ready to go after my green mtn blank, but they want dimensions. I was hoping that they'd just use the previous ones that they had shaved down as a guide, but no luck. I have a faxon at home, but not sure if they are as thin of a profile the 17.xx ones? Thanks for any help, really wanting them to get this thing in line.

David Walter

FNG
Classified Approved
My upper in 300 HAMR is for sale.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Anyone happen to have the dimensions of these 17.xx oz 16" barrels? I'm out of town and LRI is ready to go after my green mtn blank, but they want dimensions. I was hoping that they'd just use the previous ones that they had shaved down as a guide, but no luck. I have a faxon at home, but not sure if they are as thin of a profile the 17.xx ones? Thanks for any help, really wanting them to get this thing in line.
My unported Shaw, 17.8 oz:
Shank ~0.8"
Tapers to 0.6 at about 2.5"
Hits 0.5" at about 7"
0.5" from there

My Wilson, 19 oz (ported)
Shank ~0.9"
Tapers to 0.48" by ~4.5"
0.48" from there.
(Apparently the 0.75" gas block and muzzle add some weight).

I'd guess that the Wilson profile without the gas block and fat muzzle should get you in the 16s. The Shaw gets you in the 17s.

Look forward to seeing this barrel!

(The shank dimensions are its length, not diameter)

Last edited:

Trackselk

WKR
@Thegman
Thanks! I ended up sending in the faxon dimensions. They had the shoulder for my can, so it made it easy. I guess I could have them match your Wilson before the shoulder. How's it shoot?

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
@Thegman
Thanks! I ended up sending in the faxon dimensions. They had the shoulder for my can, so it made it easy. I guess I could have them match your Wilson before the shoulder. How's it shoot?
The Wilson shoots fine, it's o.d. is only minimally smaller than the Faxon pencil barrel which is right around 0.5".