Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

Taudisio

WKR
How do you like the pa microprism? Ive been tempted to get one myself.
Doing well with it! I have to remind myself it is not a proper scope when trying to shoot cloverleafs, but every time I pull the rifle up, it reminds me that it’s not a red dot either! This was yesterday, second shot after a wind correction (fist shot went just right shooting across hillsides).

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
Doing well with it! I have to remind myself it is not a proper scope when trying to shoot cloverleafs, but every time I pull the rifle up, it reminds me that it’s not a red dot either! This was yesterday, second shot after a wind correction (fist shot went just right shooting across hillsides).

Nice shot! Looks like it works.

Taudisio

WKR
Nice shot! Looks like it works.
I think my biggest problem with it is shooting in the 200-275 yard range. According to the ballistic drop, that’s the bottom of the chevron to the top of the post which is 300. It’s a fairly large area to try and gap with ultra precision. Using the bottom of the chevron, most of your target is covered up. If it was a simple duplex with the BDC marks, I don’t know what I could complain about.

robtattoo

WKR
I finally made it to the range yesterday to check out how this .300 Ham'r would do.

Loading 125gr TMKs over blah-de-blah gains of CFE-blk I was averaging a surprising 2488fps. Grouping average was around 2" but my trigger is really stopping me from doing any better. A 4lb trigger in a 4¼lb gun is not conducive to fine accuracy. I've ordered a LaRue 2-stage with a 2½lb first stage & 2lb break to see if that helps. If not, I'll have to throw down & get a Jard 1½lb 😬

@Thegman suggested I try some Nosler 125s so I'm off to go order some.

20240707_125153.jpg

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Working on a project to ease extraction and chambering. I got an aluminum bolt knob from Ebay and slapped it on - its huge, so I might shorten it, but I also really want a 6 ARC and wonder if this might make it doable. Definitely increases the odds of knocking it out of battery, but we'll see how it goes.

Anyone know of a 20" lightweight 6 ARC barrel?

20240709_211023.jpg

WaWox

FNG
My biggest question here is:
If I make it a "single shot" rifle like the very first build in this thread, is it WA-state legal :D

Trackselk

WKR
Looks like the new farrowtechs don't need drilled. I wonder how this compares to the original (weight)? Probably 1/10 of an oz lighter?

Attachments

• 20240709_204313.jpg
    20240709_204313.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

robtattoo

WKR
I think if you permanently block or eliminate the gas port, you should be ok as far as anything semi-auto related goes.

That said, I haven't the first clue about any of the silly left coast laws. Can you have pistol grips & removable mags?

WaWox

FNG
I think if you permanently block or eliminate the gas port, you should be ok as far as anything semi-auto related goes.

That said, I haven't the first clue about any of the silly left coast laws. Can you have pistol grips & removable mags?

I am looking at the law and it's probably *still* not ok.
The law defines illegal assault weapon as
- named guns such as AR15 [this likely would catch this modification regardless of what single-shot version it becomes because its clearly still modeled after an AR .. ]
- semi autos with pistol grips or rails or detachable mags or under 30" or threaded barrel or folding stock or "shrouded barrel" ...
- kits and parts that could be assembled into an AR15 or a weapon defined above [this may also catch this if the argument goes that you could disassemble into lower and upper and replace the upper with a semi auto upper. This one feels especially silly -- why is the lower the regulated part! ]

gtriple

WKR
I am looking at the law and it's probably *still* not ok.
The law defines illegal assault weapon as
- named guns such as AR15 [this likely would catch this modification regardless of what single-shot version it becomes because its clearly still modeled after an AR .. ]
- semi autos with pistol grips or rails or detachable mags or under 30" or threaded barrel or folding stock or "shrouded barrel" ...
- kits and parts that could be assembled into an AR15 or a weapon defined above [this may also catch this if the argument goes that you could disassemble into lower and upper and replace the upper with a semi auto upper. This one feels especially silly -- why is the lower the regulated part! ]
It might still be considered one of those fully automatic single shot assault machine guns.

You know what would solve the problem? Not living in a commie state.

WaWox

FNG
It might still be considered one of those fully automatic single shot assault machine guns.

You know what would solve the problem? Not living in a commie state.
definitely a scary prospect! cant allow assault rifles to be even more dangerous by giving them bolt action levels of accuracy!

on the commite state, yeah, it's not great for many things, but I do like the very non-commie tax code :) leaves more money for applying for tags out of state.. And I love the ocean and it looks like at least on this side of this beautiful country WA is the least commie of the non-arctic ocean states?

David Walter

FNG
Classified Approved
Any of these are legal in the Peoples Republic of WA, so yes.

If you take the gas tube off of an existing AR, turn the gas block around to prevent gas venting, and use the charging handle to "recharge" between shots, it's legal in WA State.

My biggest question here is:
If I make it a "single shot" rifle like the very first build in this thread, is it WA-state legal :D

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Looks like the new farrowtechs don't need drilled. I wonder how this compares to the original (weight)? Probably 1/10 of an oz lighter?
Yes, 1/10 of an ounce. The holes.I drillied in my solid one took out a couple 10ths. Either way, not a ton to save. Probably only worthwhile drilling on them for some specific goal, but save that, these builds can be plenty lightweight for practical use without modifying anything.

Any of these are legal in the Peoples Republic of WA, so yes.

If you take the gas tube off of an existing AR, turn the gas block around to prevent gas venting, and use the charging handle to "recharge" between shots, it's legal in WA State.
The problem with WA isn't the configuration of the rifle but tranfering the lower receiver itself. I may be mistaken, but an AR lower is a semauto "receiver" or "rifle," and due to WA's recent law, both would be considered "assault weapons."

Any WA FFLs here to weigh in on this? I'd love to be wrong. I grew up in WA and have family and friends who'd build these in a heartbeat if it were possible.

RepeatPete

Lil-Rokslider
Any consensus on the lightest folding mechanism?

The SB tactical BTFA was mentioned earlier at 3.4 ounces - anything lighter out there?

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
Perhaps I missed it when I scanned through this thread but I am looking for a "specialty" stock. I am considering a sharps brothers chasis for a ruger american rifle for my young daughter. She is small and currently has an 8.5" LOP. I was hoping yall might know an outfit that does a custom carbon tube with a butt pad that would mount to that back of that chassis (AR basic mount). Since yall are the light weight guys and there is no buffer or buffer spring needed (like your rifles) I figured you would be the experts on this topic.

Thank you for your help!

PS if they can make a short one, I bet they could make a longer one for me... so I can sight it in and make sure it kills deer and hogs effectively for her too!

Taudisio

WKR
Perhaps I missed it when I scanned through this thread but I am looking for a "specialty" stock. I am considering a sharps brothers chasis for a ruger american rifle for my young daughter. She is small and currently has an 8.5" LOP. I was hoping yall might know an outfit that does a custom carbon tube with a butt pad that would mount to that back of that chassis (AR basic mount). Since yall are the light weight guys and there is no buffer or buffer spring needed (like your rifles) I figured you would be the experts on this topic.

Thank you for your help!

PS if they can make a short one, I bet they could make a longer one for me... so I can sight it in and make sure it kills deer and hogs effectively for her too!
You can easily make your own. Go back just a couple pages and you will see two examples. You can cut the carbon fiber tube to whatever you would like.

Probably $100 in total material and you can have a custom length carbon fiber stock