Ultralight hunting rifle

Is a $500 can really worth having? I’ve never used one before but I assumed $1000 + not including tax stamp to get good results. As for the comment if I can afford, well I guess I can afford to spend 10s of thousands of dollars over time on one but don’t necessarily want to. I do concede the argument though, you aren’t wrong and I am thinking hard about it. I’ll use a different word then, I can’t justify spending 3k+ on a hunting rifle that I won’t shoot every year. Just wanted a ultralight for when I do draw a tag. Now if I add a suppressor can I even obtain ultralight?

Absolutely!

I have many suppressors and my favorite is my Harvester Evo. It’s short, light, (10ish ounces) and rated up to 300win mag. I currently run it on my 308 and it is incredible. I will also be Running it on a 300win and a 7mm mag when I acquire those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A suppressor is the most under rated acc imo. I would sell rifles and other gear to afford one. I literally won’t shoot another rifle without one all my rifles are now threaded for it. I have a thunderbeast ultra 7 but a silencerco harvester is a great budget option. I wish I would’ve bought one years ago.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
Some of you guys like long rifles. That is one of the hold backs for me. I blind hunt. Plus just in general, its nice.

FFT is a quick solution to what you are wanting. I picked up a ridgeline fft in 300 win. consistantly shooting 1/2-3/4 MOA out of a 22" barrel with a Gemtech Tracker attached. If you want to build a custom, by all means build exactly what you want. CA buids nice guns in my experience. Between me and a few buddies, we have 8 of them. So far, all 8 have been shooters. Only issue out of the 8 was a trigger broke on one of them. CA took care of it.

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
I started a custom build in a 7PRC a while back and really have it built to be similar to others I own. My goal is to have all my customs feel the similar. Same trigger, same stock…etc. On this rifle I went with the Defiance Anti, Hawkins Hunter lower metal, TT Special trigger, 1-8 twist, 24in carbon barrel, Manners LRH which is the new adjustable EH1. The EH1 maybe a few ounces heavier than other options, but if I’m going to sacrifice weight, it’s in a stock. I absolutely hate shooting thin out of the box type stocks at longer distances. The stability at longer distances with a wider stock is always my choice. Ive topped all of my customs with a Z8i. Light and Awesome glass. Total weight is around 8.5, depending on the barrel length.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
Only issue out of the 8 was a trigger broke on one of them. CA took care of it.
I just bought a CA. I find this concerning. Triggers shouldn't break. I am always concerned when someone says the company had great customer service, because that means you needed it.

How many shots before it broke? Hopefully I can bless it before hunting.

TxLite

WKR
I’m working on a 7 prc on a Tikka. 18” carbonsix barrel, Mesa stock, ss tikka action, mountain tactical bottom metal, and trijicon tenmile 3-18. Still waiting on the stock and barrel to come in, but based on published weights I estimate it to come out to 5.9lb bare and 7.7lb with the scope and Sportsmatch rings. My intention is to shoot it suppressed to 700. Thanks to Black Friday sales it came out right around $2000 minus glass.

Some of you guys like long rifles. That is one of the hold backs for me. I blind hunt. Plus just in general, its nice.

How long are the rifles you hunt with out of your blinds? Just curious.

As to the OPs question regarding whether the SilencerCo Harvester EVO is worth the $775 price tag (including tax stamp), it absolutely is. In my honest opinion, you really aren't going to find a better value in a "hunting" suppressor. It isn't the best in sound suppression, or weight, or ability to handle rapid fire, but in terms of length, weight, suppression, and ease of use, it is an absolute steal.

OP
F

Firedad

FNG
I’m working on a 7 prc on a Tikka. 18” carbonsix barrel, Mesa stock, ss tikka action, mountain tactical bottom metal, and trijicon tenmile 3-18. Still waiting on the stock and barrel to come in, but based on published weights I estimate it to come out to 5.9lb bare and 7.7lb with the scope and Sportsmatch rings. My intention is to shoot it suppressed to 700. Thanks to Black Friday sales it came out right around $2000 minus glass.
This has been one of my top options. As for the defiance anti, action alone is $1600. That’s out.
I was going between a tikka build, factory CA or seekins rifle or spending a bit more and over longer period of time to afford it, a custom on a Pierce shadow action($1000)

grog24

Lil-Rokslider
If you blind hunt, there are plenty of calibers that do well w/ shorter barrel and suppressor. For instance, you can get a 16” 6.5 grendel or 308, put a 6” suppressor on it, be to ~22” barrel length and still maintain great portability.

If your shots are only to 200yds or in, You could also build an AR pistol. Say a 300blk w/ a 10.5” barrel and a 6” suppressor.. thats my night hunting setup w/ a thermal. Very easy to get in and out of vehicles, portable, etc.

I don’t shoot without a suppressor now and I HIGHLY encourage them.

OP
F

Firedad

FNG
Yeah just get a tikka action and use the extra money for a suppressor
What is the best way to acquire an action? Not a lot of used tikkas that I’m finding for a price worth messing with vs just buying a new one. Cabelas has the standard t3x for $599. Are their rifles actions all the same just with different colors and features elsewhere?

TxLite

WKR
What is the best way to acquire an action? Not a lot of used tikkas that I’m finding for a price worth messing with vs just buying a new one. Cabelas has the standard t3x for $599. Are their rifles actions all the same just with different colors and features elsewhere?
Jaoutdoors sells complete actions. That’s who I went through for this one and they were great to work with.

Axlrod

WKR

grog24

Lil-Rokslider
Jaoutdoors sells complete actions. That’s who I went through for this one and they were great to work with.
If you go the bare action route, and need a stock, I think the best stock for the price is the stockys ultralight carbon fiber. Is it as pretty as my Manners? No. Fit and finish are not AS nice, but plenty good. It’s going on a backpacking gun that will get scratched up.

I’m building an ultralight Model 7 in 7-08. Here’s the stock and weight. I got it for $400 including shipping

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 123

Tahoe1305

WKR
I had the CF vs all steel debate for the last year. The best compromise steel I was going to snag was a #3 benchmark fluted (works with 9/16 threads). They estimated it would weigh 2lbs at 20”. Because of Carbon 6’s holiday sale I went with CF instead because my math had it at least $250 cheaper due to prefit availability.

I expect it to weigh 2lb 6oz to 2lb 8 oz. So the steel in my case would be about 1/2lb lighter.

Using a tikka action with some minor mods, I am expecting my 20” 7wsm to spec out just above 5.5lbs.

Edit: agree with above on stock. I have both the sporter and VG and they are within an oz of each other. Great for price. In another thread you can add a limbsaver with min effort to reduce recoil a tad more if desired for a 1.5oz penalty.

TxLite

WKR
If you go the bare action route, and need a stock, I think the best stock for the price is the stockys ultralight carbon fiber. Is it as pretty as my Manners? No. Fit and finish are not AS nice, but plenty good. It’s going on a backpacking gun that will get scratched up.

I’m building an ultralight Model 7 in 7-08. Here’s the stock and weight. I got it for $400 including shipping
I can’t tell you how close I got to going this route over the Mesa.

OP
F

Firedad

FNG
All good options. I’m sticking with 7 prc though. The element does come in 7 prc. Def an option

grog24

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t tell you how close I got to going this route over the Mesa.
Funny, I was going to actually roll the dice on a Mesa but walked into bass pro of all places who had a used youth Model Seven in 7-08 for $300.. made up my mind for me haha.

OP
F

Firedad

FNG
Funny, I was going to actually roll the dice on a Mesa but walked into bass pro of all places who had a used youth Model Seven in 7-08 for $300.. made up my mind for me haha.
That is great, cabelas here only ever has used rifles costing as much as new if not more.