Ultralight hunting rifle

OP
F

Firedad

FNG
Yes the actions are all the same- the bolt faces are different based on diameter. The length of bolt travel is determined by the bolt stop which can be shortened or replaced. A $599 Tikka with a magnum bolt face can easily be turned into a 7PRC.

Having seen and used a bunch of each of the rifles you asked about-

Seekins: generally little to no issues, they shoot well. Their Achilles heel is the Remington based trigger. It is much more likely to fail or have issues in snow and ice than others, and none of them are truly drop safe. That’s all Remington based trigger- though some are better than others.

Custom: Basically any. The same as Seekins. Most of the aftermarket actions are decent to good, but they suffer varying degrees of reliability in adverse weather and dust/sand; and all suffer the Remington trigger.

I am not emotional at all about rifles and equipment. I have have had dozens of “custom” rifles and used them hard by Antunes definition- most “customs” are nothing more than screwed together components. The issue is seeing repeated failures in those rifles at a rate of 4-5 times more than other rifles/actions. Which leads us to-

Tikka: Extremely good action. Extremely reliable in adverse weather. Feeding, function, and feel is as good or better than any common custom I have used. Bolt bind is nearly non existent. Trigger is extremely reliable and durable; drop safe, and as from the factory will adjust easily down to 2.5-2.75lbs. Can go lower with a spring.

A Tikka with a T3 counter dupe 18” barrel (20”, etc. though shorter is better) with flare for suppressor, a suppressor, and Stocky’s VG CF stock is about the best money spent on a rifle. It has all the advantages and none of the drawbacks of your other options.
This is the type of break down comparison opinion people are looking for. Thank you. And to the rest that offered similar opinions. It definitely helped.
One last question, does a suppressor count toward barrel length/velocity of a round? To be clear, 18” barrel/velocity vs 24” barrel/no can/velocity

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
One last question, does a suppressor count toward barrel length/velocity of a round? To be clear, 18” barrel/velocity vs 24” barrel/no can/velocity

No. A suppressor will generally add 20-30fps over the bare muzzle.

There are no cartridges “that do better with a shorter barrel”- they all lose 20-30fps on average per inch with optimized loads.

Including 300 and 338 mags from 17”-36” barrels. 308wun from 13.5” to 30” barrels. 6.5’s from 12.5 to 26” barrels.

Long barrels suck to maneuver, and MV doesn’t matter at 30-50 yards anyways.

There is no comparison between suppressed and unsuppressed. You do not need a $1,000 suppressor to be functional. There are $400-$500 cans that work well. Cut whatever rifle barrel as short as you need (over 16”) to be comfortable with the length and be happy.
Form I’ve seen you talk about specific models when talking about the high end 1000+ cans but not much on budget cans. Are there any specific models in the 4-500 range you recommend or have experience with?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Form I’ve seen you talk about specific models when talking about the high end 1000+ cans but not much on budget cans. Are there any specific models in the 4-500 range you recommend or have experience with?

JK Armament are the inexpensive ones I have the most use on. They work fine.

OP
F

Firedad

FNG
No. A suppressor will generally add 20-30fps over the bare muzzle.
Wait yes or no? I think we are thinking the same thing though. My fault I should have asked a more clear question. Should have been does the can add velocity to make up for the short barrel. Sounds like that’s a yes.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
There are no cartridges “that do better with a shorter barrel”- they all lose 20-30fps on average per inch with optimized loads.
I don't care though. Deer and bear bow ranges, 60 yards is fartherst I shot with my 45-70, and 15 yards with 30-06.

Even on longer shots, do you care about 100 fps????? You made my arguement right there to chop the barrell way down. Even when hunting longer ranges

Plus there is the theory that short barrels are stiffer, and more accurate. Don't know, just heard the theory.

But 30 fps, get out the hacksaw.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Wait yes or no? I think we are thinking the same thing though. My fault I should have asked a more clear question. Should have been does the can add velocity to make up for the short barrel. Sounds like that’s a yes.

Yes, but not 100+ fps. A suppressor generally adds 20-30 fps over a bare muzzle.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I don't care though. Deer and bear bow ranges, 60 yards is fartherst I shot with my 45-70, and 15 yards with 30-06.

Even on longer shots, do you care about 100 fps????? You made my arguement right there to chop the barrell way down. Even when hunting longer ranges

No. As long as I achieve 1,800fos at the range I require, I want as short as possible. If it doesn’t hit 1,800fps at range, than I go bigger cartridge, not longer barrel.

Plus there is the theory that short barrels are stiffer, and more accurate. Don't know, just heard the theory.

But 30 fps, get out the hacksaw.

Indeed.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
My latest gun is 300 win mag with 24" for elk hunt. Lot of money for a gun that won't get much use, not that, that has ever stopped me. I did bit of reading, there are people doing magums with 22" barrels, that are happy. 40-60fps sure doesn't bother me.

Maybe I'll build a bigger blind, which I do enjoy too. After this hunt, I wouldn't rule out cutting. Not like I couldn't find another barrel to fit a 700 action if I hate it.

Sled

WKR
This is the type of break down comparison opinion people are looking for. Thank you. And to the rest that offered similar opinions. It definitely helped.

Looks like you're on the right track. I was looking for your definition of ultralight but sounds like you just want a reasonably light hunting rifle. The Tikka with a suppressor will do that. For a true ultralight you'll either be over budget or under impressed.

Yes the actions are all the same- the bolt faces are different based on diameter. The length of bolt travel is determined by the bolt stop which can be shortened or replaced. A $599 Tikka with a magnum bolt face can easily be turned into a 7PRC.

Having seen and used a bunch of each of the rifles you asked about-

Seekins: generally little to no issues, they shoot well. Their Achilles heel is the Remington based trigger. It is much more likely to fail or have issues in snow and ice than others, and none of them are truly drop safe. That’s all Remington based trigger- though some are better than others.

Custom: Basically any. The same as Seekins. Most of the aftermarket actions are decent to good, but they suffer varying degrees of reliability in adverse weather and dust/sand; and all suffer the Remington trigger.

I am not emotional at all about rifles and equipment. I have have had dozens of “custom” rifles and used them hard by Antunes definition- most “customs” are nothing more than screwed together components. The issue is seeing repeated failures in those rifles at a rate of 4-5 times more than other rifles/actions. Which leads us to-

Tikka: Extremely good action. Extremely reliable in adverse weather. Feeding, function, and feel is as good or better than any common custom I have used. Bolt bind is nearly non existent. Trigger is extremely reliable and durable; drop safe, and as from the factory will adjust easily down to 2.5-2.75lbs. Can go lower with a spring.

A Tikka with a T3 counter dupe 18” barrel (20”, etc. though shorter is better) with flare for suppressor, a suppressor, and Stocky’s VG CF stock is about the best money spent on a rifle. It has all the advantages and none of the drawbacks of your other options.
Thanks for this post. I have been going back and forth on a CA in 7 prc and rebarreling my Tikka 300 win to 7 prc. I was leaning heavily towards the Tikka anyway. Going carbon 6 20” and the stockys stock and call it a day.

I’d honestly just look into Mesa FFT or Ridgeline FFT. The only differences I’m aware of are a carbon fiber barrel and side baffel brake on the Ridgeline FFT vs stainless barrel and radial brake on the Mess FFT. I think Ridgeline is also a couple ounces lighter. Whether that’s worth $500 is up to you. Either get you under $2500 though.
Also, many of the Mesas are 1/2x28, whereas all Ridgelines are 5/8x24. Many 30 cal suppressors are 5/8x24. So the Ridgeline allows for direct thread whereas Mesas may be better for a backpacker who won't be suppressed.

grog24

Lil-Rokslider
Also, many of the Mesas are 1/2x28, whereas all Ridgelines are 5/8x24. Many 30 cal suppressors are 5/8x24. So the Ridgeline allows for direct thread whereas Mesas may be better for a backpacker who won't be suppressed.
Just to clarify, most threaded pitches are dictated by the caliber (to ensure enough wall thickness remains at the threads/undercut). The 7prc Mesa is indeed a 5/8x24 thread pitch.

Can’t speak to other ones.

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
maybe someone else mentioned these but paradigm barrels are supposed to be the lightest carbon fiber barrels available and should weigh similar to a pencil barrel. And no I haven’t used one or weighed one. Just going based on their specs.

Just to clarify, most threaded pitches are dictated by the caliber (to ensure enough wall thickness remains at the threads/undercut). The 7prc Mesa is indeed a 5/8x24 thread pitch.

Can’t speak to other ones.
My 7mm Rem Mag (also a .284) Mesa has 1/2x28

Here is a good, less expensive suppressor. Just checked and it's even on sale now...

5" long and only 1.385" in diameter means that it is going to be pretty loud. That being said, it is short and light. Spend the extra $80 and get the Harvester EVO.