ultralight backcountry rod

peterk123

WKR
Do you guys have any recommendations for a four piece utlralight packable spinning rod that won't break the bank? I would like to be able just stuff one in my backpack. Thx Pete

sndmn11

WKR
If you can get by with 3pc

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Eagle claw and ugly stick both make a cheaper 4 piece travel rod. Saint croix and TFO both make them too but they cost 150-200 dollars.

As others have said: Ugly Stik and Eagle Claw makes some alright cheap travel rods. Daiwa does as well. Don't hold me to it but I think G-Loomis has a travel rod that's not stupid expensive. I don't remember. I went with a Rigged & Ready World Traveler set up. Pretty much just because of the case. Haven't got to use it yet but it feels alright. Kinda like one of those blue knock off ugly stiks that Cabela's peddles.

Attachments

• IMG_20210110_182428372.jpg
    IMG_20210110_182428372.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 21
Here's a pic of the guts. The OCD side of me wants to swap out the reel for either a Penn or a Shimano but the frugal side of me keeps reminding me it's just a travel rod for side quest activities and I'm not chasing 70lb flatheads with it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210110_183123709.jpg
    IMG_20210110_183123709.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 29

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Diawa Mini-Spin came with a terrible reel but it works I suppose. Max cast distance is probably 30ft and that’s whipping it pretty hard. I’ve dabbled between that and just packing ice fishing rods. They cast just as far and are even smaller.

That said we got my daughter a Tenkara Whitecloud for Christmas that I can’t wait for her to use. Not “real” fly fishing but it’s so packable we’ll never leave it at home.

Unless you're die hard set on spinning rods, I'd research the Tenkara setups like has been said and also study up on entomology and if unfamiliar for fly selection. I bought 3 tenkaras in 2020 and caught 800 fish in wilderness and back country areas. I'm not going back to spinning rods for backcountry lakes or streams ever.

boom

WKR
I have a SST Okuma 3-piece. I love the thing. It comes with a light case. Easy to strap to my pack. About $75 IIRC.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
My family has used the Eagle Claw and Ugly Stik travel rods heavily for years on backcountry trips by canoe and on foot--they work well and are inexpensive.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I've had really bad luck with eagle claw travel rods. They seem to break at a harsh word.

TomJoad

WKR
Another Tenkara user here. amazing small footprint and almost no weight. I still use trad fly rods when its a dedicated fishing trip but I fish so much more with the Tenkara since I bring it for any hike and therefore it opens up a lot more opportunity.

I have a Teton from these guys: https://www.tenkararodco.com

This model now is adjustable and I can't speak for the function of that but the standard Teton is awesome.

ShakeDown

WKR
Two that have been mentioned that are fantastic are the St. Croix Triumph and the Diawa Presso.

Really like the Presso for the money.

Paired up with a Diawa Legalis 1000 we have done some damage! Sweet set up that honestly competes with a lot of my full size one piece set ups in terms of sensitivity and backbone.

Fitzwho

WKR
Fenwick Eagle Travel rod is 7-ft - 4 piece, 22-23" broken down. I have an older version that has been everywhere with me for years. I have literally flipped white bass up to a fishing pier and caught tuna up to 10lbs on that rod.

Otherwise, Tenkara is the only way to go. A 7.5-ft 3 weight fly rod would work as well.

Smallie

WKR
Two that have been mentioned that are fantastic are the St. Croix Triumph and the Diawa Presso.

Really like the Presso for the money.

Paired up with a Diawa Legalis 1000 we have done some damage! Sweet set up that honestly competes with a lot of my full size one piece set ups in terms of sensitivity and backbone.
I paired my first set up with a Daiwa Legalis reel and had that with me in college. Caught hundreds of river smallmouth on that set up and never thought I was sacrificing backbone or sensitivity. Everything from smallmouth to 35 inch northerns on a medium light rod and it handled everything. Came home and bought two more