Ultra light hunting rifles

Trackselk

WKR
Kimber hunter or mtn ascent. This one is in 22 creed, and I'm slinging 70 grainers at 3600 with an 18" barrel. Very light recoil with suppressor. Start with the Hunter and you can build something like this for about $2500, and thats a blueprinted action and custom barrel, add a mpi stock and it'll look a lot better but add $600-1200. The elk don't care what it looks like...
This should start a caliber fight 😋
*I don't shoot over 4-500 yards and it was originally a 308 win in case you want something bigger. Recoil was brutal (no suppressor back then)...
1000000885.jpg

Last edited:

Mattman215

Lil-Rokslider
That is one neat stock. Do you run into any issues with such a short fore end with resting on the barrel vs the stock?

I have a Weatherby backcountry 2.0, with the steel fluted barrel (not carbon). It is a 308 and with scope and s-k rings on it weighs right at 6.0 lbs. very well balanced, and is an excellent shooter. I expected groups to open up after repeated shooting due to the light barrel, but that has not been the case for me. The peak 44 carbon stock is very well done and the metal is cerakoted. I am a lefty, so this was a great option for me, and it shoots extremely well with bullets from 150-175 grain, can’t speak for other weights. I also have a tikka t3 that I bedded in a light stock, and I like it a lot. It is less expensive for sure. I think the Weatherby is a great all round package if you can handle the price. I got mine for a little less than you are looking at, and I think it was worth it.

robtattoo

WKR

Spend $400ish & join the UL-UL club! 😃

20240702_180959.jpg
This little number is sitting at 4lb 2oz & mine is one of the heavier ones in the thread!

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
Howa minis would fit the bill for a superlight rifle. Be careful though. lighter is not always better IMO. Shoot some positional stuff with a 5lb rifle and then shoot some with a 12lb rifle. I just added weights to my match gun to bump it over 20lbs after trying to run a match with a 9lb hunting rifle.

What's the reasoning that you need a 5lb rifle?
No point unless you specifically want the little chamberings a kimber actions lighter anyway. In saying that in a rifle the weight of a kimber I'd stay as small a chambering as possible. The howa minis mags suck but with a Jefferson conversion they are maybe the best shootable mostly factory offering. NSIs recommendation aboves pretty good or if they release a 22arc version

Last edited:

The Guide

WKR
No point unless you specifically want the little chamberings a kimber actions lighter anyway. In saying that in a rifle the weight of a kimber I'd stay as small a chambering as possible. The howa minis mags suck but with a Jefferson conversion they are maybe the best shootable mostly factory offering. NSIs recommendation aboves pretty good or if they release a 22arc version
I'm honestly curious as to what everyone's issue with the Howa mini action mags is. I have 4 of them, a 223, a 6 ARC, and two 6.5 Grendel rifles and have never noticed any feeding issues. Maybe I just got lucky with the 4 I got?

Jay

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
I'm honestly curious as to what everyone's issue with the Howa mini action mags is. I have 4 of them, a 223, a 6 ARC, and two 6.5 Grendel rifles and have never noticed any feeding issues. Maybe I just got lucky with the 4 I got?

Jay
They are better once trimmed to semi flush but my problems were mostly feel and cosmetic for the mag itself except for the one that cracked.
My bigger problem is the stupid mag release prone to dropping mags constantly. Feeding it was pretty good better than my tikka 223 but losing a couple mags makes it worse overall.

Trackselk

WKR
That is one neat stock. Do you run into any issues with such a short fore end with resting on the barrel vs the stock?
Good eyes, I went a little overboard on the forend, so I picked up another one and just have to spend hours cutting and drilling. I think I'll also avoid the holes around the magazine, since I also drilled holes in the mag (heavy steel kimber mags) and precip on hot reloads in no good. In the end I might add back an ounce of plastic...
I didn't end up resting on the barrel with the elk I shot last year, but it was a bit inconvenient to get it rested properly on a pack and boulder.

In regards to ultralight rifles, I’d like to offer some wisdom from expensive experience. Very few people can beat the weights I’ve achieved.

For a bolt-gun, I hit 3 pounds, 10.6 ounces with a custom Kimber. Amazing gun, but it was too light for me to shoot accurately, so I hardly used it. With straight-pull ARs, I’ve gone far below that. Awesome exercises in minimalism, but like a tiny home, they seem better in dreams than reality.

Light rifles are a trade off. You can achieve effortless to carry, accurate at distance, and easy to shoot well by staying in the 7+ pound realm, or you can go stupid lightweight and deal with major limitations.

Trust me. I’ve sunk thousands learning this lesson firsthand…

Trackselk

WKR
In regards to ultralight rifles, I’d like to offer some wisdom from expensive experience. Very few people can beat the weights I’ve achieved.

For a bolt-gun, I hit 3 pounds, 10.6 ounces with a custom Kimber. Amazing gun, but it was too light for me to shoot accurately, so I hardly used it. With straight-pull ARs, I’ve gone far below that. Awesome exercises in minimalism, but like a tiny home, they seem better in dreams than reality.

Light rifles are a trade off. You can achieve effortless to carry, accurate at distance, and easy to shoot well by staying in the 7+ pound realm, or you can go stupid lightweight and deal with major limitations.

Trust me. I’ve sunk thousands learning this lesson firsthand…
Yeah, I learned the hard way that when I got my .308 to 5.5lbs scoped, all of the sudden it was terrible for shooting off hand. With a rest and enough skill/practice it was fine for 400 yards, but there's no getting around the fact that they're harder to shoot accurately. Unless you've got serious back and knee injuries like I do, then ultralight is probably as described above. I had to go as far as having pack goats to be reasonably pain free.
Also, if you're not a good shot, then it's a terrible idea, but with a rest, I don't find it to be a problem to 400, maybe 500 with a really good rest, but I've never shot over 400 at an animal.