Uhhh...that's not hunting dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KurtR

WKR
Covering water holes at night? That’s a new kind of stupid/cruel I’ve never heard of. Def not fair chase.
It’s a high fence place in Africa and covering water holes is the difference between fair chase and not. I would have thought that big ass fence keeping them in might be it but I’m not on the ethics police board so what do I know

You must not have hog problems where you hunt...I have spent many a night guarding a corn pile/water trying to kill hogs and run the ones that didnt get shot off...you spend a full day on a tractor cleaning up their mess you go to drastic measures. Sometimes fair chase isn't the goal.

Exactly, it's not hunting either.

Lots of things I don't play fair chase with, but I don't refer to it as hunting.

Just because they don't see the world through your lens doesn't mean their lens is wrong.

If the lens is legal its best to say nothing.

Come on you guys...we have to do better as members of the hunting community. So often we get caught up when something differs from our own views and in determining whether something is hunting or not...that we forget the most important question of all...what gun/caliber/optic/camo pattern/ and scent free deodorant did he use???

2rocky

WKR
But this is?

https://www.archerytalk.com/threads/bison-hunt.1721316/#post-1063672893

Have you actually killed anything that wasn't in a high fence yourself? wait you called it a Fair chase hunt....by your own narrow definitions.

you seem to think it's ok if it's a Bison

https://www.archerytalk.com/threads...h-archery-royal-bison.4355841/post-1095366745

1660756606489.png

11,000+ posts and the only thing you have killed is a bison with a rifle on a ranch?

you are a fraud and keyboard warrior and I hope everyone on here sees you for what you really are...

I don't need you criticizing anyone's morals.

Just so everyone here knows who they are dealing with....
... C'mon, you're no hunter. ....JMO...i could be wrong.

You must not have hog problems where you hunt...I have spent many a night guarding a corn pile/water trying to kill hogs and run the ones that didnt get shot off...you spend a full day on a tractor cleaning up their mess you go to drastic measures. Sometimes fair chase isn't the goal.
Depending on the state, feral hogs may be classified as big game, or an invasive species. However, we do have laws in this country making it illegal to keep wild
But this is?

https://www.archerytalk.com/threads/bison-hunt.1721316/#post-1063672893

Have you actually killed anything that wasn't in a high fence yourself? wait you called it a Fair chase hunt....by your own narrow definitions.

you seem to think it's ok if it's a Bison

https://www.archerytalk.com/threads...h-archery-royal-bison.4355841/post-1095366745

View attachment 440884

11,000+ posts and the only thing you have killed is a bison with a rifle on a ranch?

you are a fraud and keyboard warrior and I hope everyone on here sees you for what you really are...

I don't need you criticizing anyone's morals.

Just so everyone here knows who they are dealing with....
I'm not getting your post. Both AT posts you link Bruce is responding to an OP providing sound information.

Additionally, I am positive Bruce has harvested more than that one animal you reference.

You can disagree with the guy, but your post is pretty malicious.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Hey Bubble...do you think 2rocky might be Opah/Bad Santa? LOL

badsanta.jpg

I am amazed any "hunter" who thinks hunting HF combined with covered water can be called fair chase and based on "likes" the majority here do not think it is. It's a way to make money, a hunt suited for those who don't wanna actually hunt. Me? I enjoy the process of camping, filtering water, hanging my food bag, glassing, hiking miles every day, studying sign, even building natural ground blinds.

I know Bubble agrees...we've hunted together for deer, elk, javelina, hogs, predators several times. He takes the science of hunting to the nth degree...don't know anyone more analytical when it comes to determining animal movement based on topography and conditions. He's kind of a genius...though he doesn't look like one. :)

Garys hogs.jpgIMG_0792.JPGIMG_0817.JPGIMGP3604.JPGgary dessert.JPG088.JPG

As for 2rocky well, if I can't say something nice I might as well say nothing at all. I know his kind well.

b7557738d47430cbc3b9bd2175eff642.jpg

Last edited:
Met a guy who spent 8 days in SA "hunting" from a ground blind over two water holes that got covered at night. Typical HF situation. He was all full of himself cuz he shot 6 different species. Basically he sat on his ass all day waiting for an easy shot at something big. Paid 14K + another 7K in trophy fees (I didn't ask what his taxi bill is gonna be) damn! Over 20K to sit in a sauna and wait for something that's desperate for a drink? "Dude...that's not hunting!" Hunting is the pursuit of game. Now I am not saying all HF hunts/canned hunts are non-hunts. Some HF operations are massive and provide a real challenge. This article explain much of SA HF and I have no issue with it. https://blog.bookyourhunt.com/the-evolution-of-high-fences-in-south-africa/ I've done spot & stalk bison hunts that were canned but physically demanding and we were not shooting over the hood of a vehicle into a herd from 50 yards. But sitting over the only water source that was covered 50% of the time in a blind? C'mon, you're no hunter. Hunters enjoy the chase, the challenge of beating the multiple eyes, ears and noses of their prey, learning the animals behavior...the fun ends with the shot. JMO...i could be wrong.

The definition of pursuing game is ambiguous. Still hunting is absolutely a form of pursuing game....

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are Memes allowable? i have so many ready to go right now for this thread.
Lol, I think this whole thread is barely allowable. At this point I’d say they need to be constructive and not just busting balls.

204guy

WKR
I don’t see much defending of what was described in the OP as fair chase, though the realities of hunting SA are what they are. My understanding is there are pretty much zero free range hunts there. It's the incredible hypocrisy that's being played on.

OP
Where's Bruce?
The definition of pursuing game is ambiguous. Still hunting is absolutely a form of pursuing game....
Agreed. Still hunting doesn't mean sitting on a stool in a ground blind next to a water source that's covered at night. Still hunting is walking stealthily through an animal's habitat, stopping frequently—sometimes for long periods—to scan and listen for game. Typically, big-game hunters use this method in unfamiliar terrain or where stands are impractical or forbidden. It is absolutely a pursuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.