Turo - yes, no or maybe?

We’re reviewing options for car rental out of Rapid City end of September for about a week. Sightseeing vacation. Who has used Turo? Want to know if your Turo rental was good or bad. Would you book a Turo again? Short and sweet….yes, no, or maybe. Thanks.

Dunndm

WKR
We’re reviewing options for car rental out of Rapid City end of September for about a week. Sightseeing vacation. Who has used Turo? Want to know if your Turo rental was good or bad. Would you book a Turo again? Short and sweet….yes, no, or maybe. Thanks.

My wife used it for a couple months. She is going to be using it again soon when we move… again. So yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used it twice in Hawaii. It worked great each time. Actually easier than getting a rental car.

Just keep in mind if you book a 2010 minivan with a 130k miles, it may have some cosmetic blemishes. You didn’t rent a 1 or 2 year old vehicle.

Last year the owner of the vehicle delivered the vehicle and picked it up from my hotel. He pulled up said hi, and handed me the keys.

This year the car I rented was a mile or two from the airport, and I caught an Uber to the car. They had the car in a parking lot. The keys were in a lockbox that the messaged me the code.

The process of picking up or dropping g the car off is WAY better than a car from a rental company
Like everything else, have reasonable expectations for what you rented and I think you will be happy

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve used it probably 4 times, all went well and were much less of a hassle than going through rental agencies. If something goes wrong though, I’d imagine it could go really really wrong…. A risk for sure

rclouse79

WKR
Just used it last week. The original guy canceled the morning of the trip. That was a little stressful, but Turo got us a similar car for cheaper. Everything went slick after that.

woods89

WKR
I used Turo for a hunt last fall. I didn't need a lot of off road capability to I rented a little VW awd suv. The owner dropped it off in a Park DIA lot, left the keys in a lockbox attached to the trailer hitch, and texted me the code. I took the shuttle out to the lot, found the car, and was off. Coming back was the reverse, I dropped the car in the lot, put keys in the lockbox, took a bunch of pics for documentation, and caught the shuttle to the airport. It was a good experience for me, and I'll use it again.

I’ve used it multiple times now with no issues. Make sure you contact your insurance company prior to see if they provide coverage. My policy has full coverage for rental cars, however will not cover turo as they deem it as ride sharing. YMMV

OP
Go West Old Man
I’ve used it multiple times now with no issues. Make sure you contact your insurance company prior to see if they provide coverage. My policy has full coverage for rental cars, however will not cover turo as they deem it as ride sharing. YMMV
Still looking into it but one piece of info I read somewhere (?) says that Turo has 3 choice levels if you select their coverage, which we would. The top, premium coverage equals the rental fee so basically doubling the host’s charges.

Yes, there are different options depending on your budget/ comfort level. Just wanted to point out that you may not be covered by your regular insurance according to my provider.

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
Turo is great. Hopefully will never stand in line to rent a car from the “Big” agency’s again.
Less expensive and the pickup and return process is simple.

Gutshotem

WKR
Good to read so many here had good experiences. I almost used it over the summer but most of the negative reviews I did read were those where the owner canceled the reservation at the last minute. That alone was enough to scare me off.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Man, that was risky and certainly no judgment on my end, but that would be hard for me to do as much as I dislike rental car companies in general.

I'd bet most insurance companies do not cover these ride-share rental companies.

The last thing any monopoly wants is competition and they'll spend (really buy) millions to thwart that competition.

It's good to hear all the positive comments for Turo. I first heard of it a couple years ago when a relative used it in HI. No problems whatsoever.

Eddie

woods89

WKR
Man, that was risky and certainly no judgment on my end, but that would be hard for me to do as much as I dislike rental car companies in general.

I'd bet most insurance companies do not cover these ride-share rental companies.

The last thing any monopoly wants is competition and they'll spend (really buy) millions to thwart that competition.

It's good to hear all the positive comments for Turo. I first heard of it a couple years ago when a relative used it in HI. No problems whatsoever.

Eddie
I think the unfortunate reality is that if most people want to know they have coverage, they have to buy insurance through Turo. I tried to figure out if my liability policy or my credit cards covered me, best as I could tell they either didn't or it was a gray area.

OP
Go West Old Man
Yes, there are different options depending on your budget/ comfort level. Just wanted to point out that you may not be covered by your regular insurance according to my provider.
@ohiohunter81 , yes sir I agree that is important to know about your own policy. I’m calling my agent tomorrow for clarification. I got distracted & don’t fully finish my previous post , and I meant to add that I’m very inclined to just pay for the premium coverage for full peace of mind. Yea, it may not be a smart money saving consumer decision, but it would sure feel good to have it in the event of an accident.

Ebby

WKR
I love it. I love picking out the exact car I want and I've had no issues. Prob used it a dozen times.

One hint is to check the process where you get the car. I only do airport drop off now. I've taken Ubers to people houses and other locations but now I filter for airport pickup. Much easier for me.

Lee