Turkey load alternatives

Sea Wolf

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you've been out of the turkey loop, you've noticed the insane cost of turkey loads. I remain stubborn and refuse buy $5-$10 shells.

Being in California we are restricted to hunting with non-lead. For the last couple seasons I've been using #4 steel duck loads and they've been working just fine.

What shells have folks been shooting for turkeys that aren't the the cost of a gas station breakfast?

richyrich408

Lil-Rokslider
Being in California as well I went with #5 bismuth waterfowl loads for about $2 - 2.50 a load. Makes you feel less guilty about patterning beforehand.

Still stick with 3” #4 steel for ducks and 3” BB for geese

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bluefish

WKR
Unfortunately tungsten is expensive. Last time I bought it was $55/lb and that was years ago. That’s almost $3.50/oz. It really is better shot, just hard to justify the cost.

MJB

WKR
It's not like your shooting a box like duck hunting.
I'll stick with the TSS #9 at 35yds it will take their head offIMG_20210327_115441.jpg

richyrich408

Lil-Rokslider
I agree tungsten is better and since I reload I might start rolling my own, but with kids and multiple guns to pattern the cost is over $100 at $65 a box just to pattern. If I just was buying for myself I would stick to tungsten but bismuth at 35 yards will do the same damage. At 35 yards even 5 shot has no holes in the pattern with a Turkey choke. Tungsten really starts to shine the further you go out though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MJB

WKR
I have run the shotgun range at our Turkey Tune Up in San Diego for many years, I have seen it all and the #9 TSS puts more pellets in a tighter pattern than any other load. And choke matters a little bit with #9 from mod-to turkey choke all good out to 65 yds for most guns.
That picture is with Mod in my SBE

eamyrick

WKR
I have to say I’m pretty cheap but the apex #9 are worth every penny. With the price of gas, tags, time off I’m not losing sleep over an $11 shell. Takes 3-4 to pattern and then 1-2 a year.

MJB

WKR
Pattern once just don't forget the setup......

Turkey shooting is more rifle mechanics not dove shooting!
First
Trigger location for your index(trigger) finger, for turkey is on the tip of the first digit, the first 1/3 to the tip.......just the tip baby!

Second
Dominant eye only open, aiming at the base of the neck......where the feathers meet the turkey skin......you want a head shot!
You look down the barrel just like an open sight.

Third know your zero!
Does your gun pattern best when the target is dancing on the top of the barrel in full view?
Or....
Does it when it's just covered by the sight and most of the target is not seen because of the barrel.

Good luck out there!

Fowl Play

WKR
Unless you've been out of the turkey loop, you've noticed the insane cost of turkey loads. I remain stubborn and refuse buy $5-$10 shells.

Being in California we are restricted to hunting with non-lead. For the last couple seasons I've been using #4 steel duck loads and they've been working just fine.

What shells have folks been shooting for turkeys that aren't the the cost of a gas station breakfast?
For the amount of time and effort you put in the field for turkey I never understand why people would shoot steel over TSS. Lived in California for 6 years so I get where you're coming from. But... even if you tag out on 3 birds and are shooting the most expensive round you can find that's around $45 for the year if you plan ahead. That's less than I spend on gas for a single scouting trip... for insanely better performance and forgiveness.

fatlander

WKR
Hevi shot was the gold standard before TSS. It’s still a bit cheaper. Sounds like you’re doing fine with your steel, so keep doing that.

TSS is certainly impressive for killing turkeys at rifle ranges out of 12s. To me, where TSS shines is it’s ability to perform like a 12 in 20, 28, and even .410. Lighter to carry, lighter recoil, equally good results within 40 yards from the fellas I know that shoot it.

Sighting in a shotgun so you can shoot turkeys at 70+ yards isn’t turkey hunting. Get him close, and it doesn’t matter what you’re shooting. It’s ok if the turkey wins. Relish in the moment, learn from it, then try get him within 30 yards tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: OMB
OP
Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf

Lil-Rokslider
There's some great points made here.

For the amount of time and effort you put in the field for turkey I never understand why people would shoot steel over TSS. Lived in California for 6 years so I get where you're coming from. But... even if you tag out on 3 birds and are shooting the most expensive round you can find that's around $45 for the year if you plan ahead. That's less than I spend on gas for a single scouting trip... for insanely better performance and forgiveness.
Maybe you're right, I'm being a little too particular about how I'm spending my money, coming from the mindset of having one thing that accomplished multiple goals.
Hevi shot was the gold standard before TSS. It’s still a bit cheaper. Sounds like you’re doing fine with your steel, so keep doing that.

TSS is certainly impressive for killing turkeys at rifle ranges out of 12s. To me, where TSS shines is it’s ability to perform like a 12 in 20, 28, and even .410. Lighter to carry, lighter recoil, equally good results within 40 yards from the fellas I know that shoot it.

Sighting in a shotgun so you can shoot turkeys at 70+ yards isn’t turkey hunting. Get him close, and it doesn’t matter what you’re shooting. It’s ok if the turkey wins. Relish in the moment, learn from it, then try get him within 30 yards tomorrow.

You nailed it. I really don't take shots, or see myself taking shots outside of 25 years. All the birds I've killed with a shotgun have been within that. But when going with a 20ga or smaller, especially on a hunt that might be a little more "special", it makes sense to me to shoot a shell that exceeds standard performance.

I agree, TSS is great for turning a smaller gauge into a reliable turkey gun. I went with TSS to turn my 20 gauge from a 25-30 yard lead gun to a 40 yard gun, which is more than enough. I honestly can only remember shooting one turkey at 40 -42 yard range in all my years, and that was on an open field edge. 90% of the turkeys I killed are in the 20-30 yard range, so 40 is more than enough.

As I stated in another post, nowadays with TSS, most aren't happy unless they are blowing the 10 ring out at 40 yards because their true intentions are to shoot 50-60 yards. Online I see nice even pictures of patterns at 40 with TSS, only to have certain guys encouraging them to try a different shell or choke to get more in the 10 ring. And wonder why go tighter at 40 to only make your 20 tighter, and it simply is, most want to shoot further out 50-60, or 70, who knows, which I disagree with too.

Then again turkey hunting has changed over the years, and hunters have different ideas of turkey hunting. Where I agree it's a close-range game and 40 is well more than enough. And with the close-range game, I don't believe in gunning out of a blind or using decoys either. But like I said it has changed over the years where you don't have many old-time turkey hunters who just sit against a tree without decoys or a blind and try to get the bird within 30 yards or so.

Last edited:

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I live out west where the birds live in more open areas and the vegetation is sparse during turkey season. TSS #9s give me confidence to take a 40-50 yard shot if the gobbler hangs up. Or if I misjudge the distance and take a shot over 50 yards I’m more likely to kill the gobbler rather than just wound him. That said it’s always more fun to call them as close as possible.

If you have adjustable sights you can shoot lead shells to get on paper out to 40. Then switch to TSS and I’m usually sighted in within 2 or 3 shots.

OP
Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf

Lil-Rokslider
I live far far "out west". This last weekend I had a Jake at 13 yards and a big ol Tom at 60. If I was shooting TSS, sure I could've taken the Tom, but I'm shooting steel and know my range. That experience of calling at a distant gobble, having a Jake in close, the Tom getting away and the Jake following him left me with the satisfaction of calling them close and the mysticism that he's still out there. Also doing it while sitting at the base of a tree with a friend who I shared it with. There's some value in that.

WCB

WKR
For guys shooting 30yards and in standard trap loads will work just fine...not like turkeys are built out of steel. Since you have to shoot nontox and are killing birds under 30 yards. I would pick up some #6 steel and pattern it and call it good.

However, once you pattern the gun with a specific load and have it where you want it you might have to buy a box a year? Or just buy 5 or 6 boxes and go through the pain once instead of every year talking yourself out of buying TSS or Bismuth etc.

MThuntr

WKR
This year I'm planning to use Federal Blackcloud TSS. I grabbed a case for $1/shot right before COVID. It's #3 Steel and #9 TSS. It patterns well using a Modified choke for waterfowl. I'm looking into choke options to tighten things up a bit.

How about this stuff. It's $3.5/shot which is as cheap as it gets for Tungsten Alloy loads?

Your other option is buying a box of Bismuth. Much cheaper than TSS.

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
This year I'm planning to use Federal Blackcloud TSS. I grabbed a case for $1/shot right before COVID. It's #3 Steel and #9 TSS. It patterns well using a Modified choke for waterfowl. I'm looking into choke options to tighten things up a bit.

How about this stuff. It's $3.5/shot which is as cheap as it gets for Tungsten Alloy loads?

Your other option is buying a box of Bismuth. Much cheaper than TSS.
I looked at that but with the #3 steel in there it is not legal in my state. Has to be #4 or smaller.

I found some #9 TSS on sale and had a coupon. Made it a wee bit more tolerable. My son shot his first turkey with it. DRT. So for a data set of 1, I am a fan!