Turkey Gun

Mattthul

FNG
I'm going to preface this with don't knock it till ya try it. I went w a 20ga savage 301t single shot w a red dot on it. The thing is short and light, perfect for walking all day, which love to do (17 miles the last day of season this year, per onX). I shoot Apex TSS, and that crap hammers: I've heard of folks dropping birds at 50 or more yards.

Plus, it has an added benefit, I don't care what happens to it, I'm pretty sure my red dot was two or three times as expensive as my gun.
I’m on the fence about getting one of the 301’s do you think .410 or 20 ga. Would be better? Also what is the advantage of one of these over any other single shot? Just heard a lot of hype about them?

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Set up my old 20 ga, youth Benelli Montefeltro, with a full size stock, red dot, and considering getting a pistol grip on it but not sure yet. Super light and small, perfect turkey gun to me

Kathol22

FNG
I’m on the fence about getting one of the 301’s do you think .410 or 20 ga. Would be better? Also what is the advantage of one of these over any other single shot? Just heard a lot of hype about them?
20 gauge sure airs em out.

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 20, it’s still light but it slings more shot obviously. I know of people running the .410 who dig it. I guess that’s up to you.

As far as other single shots? I really don’t know of any w similar features. They have a pic rail -I top mine w a red dot- and it’s purportedly tuned for Federal TSS. I’ll say this, mine patterns beautifully w TSS, both Federal and Apex. Plus it’s about as inexpensive any firearm on the market. Really I don’t know what’s not to like. Save maybe the finish, it’s comically bad; the thing can rust if it rains in the next county. So don’t expect much in that regard. But over all it’s a terrific little gun.

Scottf270

WKR
Also look at CVA if you go 410. Better stock and better cheek weld. My 301 Stevens 20 gauge has the optic up so high my face barely touches the stock.

Saw a cheek riser a guy put on his called a Victor Universal mount. Looks like just the thing. The Stevens and Rossi's are just cheap, light, and effective. As long as one shot is sufficient, they really shine as a turkey getter.

stump06

WKR
If you want a great gun for the money, look at the Girsan mc312. They make different styles like turkey and goose. They are beneill clones. A few of my buddies have them and they keep up with my benelli all day. I believe they are under $700 and some come with a red dot sight.
What choke thread pattern do they take? Benelli?

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
870 express with extra full choke and truglo rifle sights, Long Beard XR loads

Remington 870 Super Mag 12 ga.. Shoots either 3" or 3 1/2" shells. Pair that with a Carlson's Long Beard XR turkey choke and Winchester LB XR 3"/3.5" #5 or #6. The Rem Turkey Special Purpose with the thumbhole stock and 24" barrel is a nice gun too, really compact and comfortable to shoot. Wish I never sold it. Save yourself some $ look around and see if you can pick one up used and in very good condition.

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
Mossberg 835. Burris fast fire III. Shooting Longbeard XR 3.5" 5's or 6's. Carlson choke.

Attachments

• 20210514_155516.jpg
    20210514_155516.jpg
    676.6 KB · Views: 47

dtrkyman

WKR
I wouldn't consider anything over 6lbs. With TSS or even long beards a nice light 20ga is where I would look.

My next one will be a 3lb .410

Mattthul

FNG
I have the 20, it’s still light but it slings more shot obviously. I know of people running the .410 who dig it. I guess that’s up to you.

As far as other single shots? I really don’t know of any w similar features. They have a pic rail -I top mine w a red dot- and it’s purportedly tuned for Federal TSS. I’ll say this, mine patterns beautifully w TSS, both Federal and Apex. Plus it’s about as inexpensive any firearm on the market. Really I don’t know what’s not to like. Save maybe the finish, it’s comically bad; the thing can rust if it rains in the next county. So don’t expect much in that regard. But over all it’s a terrific little gun.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
The big thing with them is the price. They’re just a nice cheap and effective little gun. Most guys don’t want to setup their other field guns with optics and super tight chokes. So they go buy one of these with the pic rail already on the gun and for a small price you’ve got a cheap little turkey killer and you can leave it that way forever. The .410 thing is just guys wanting ultralite as possible and guys who like to see what they can do with tss. With the price of .410 tss and finding the perfect choke combo for optimal performance it ends up getting expensive and overall not super practical. I’d get a 20 and be done with it.

I shot my first turkey this last year and I had more fun than I thought I would. I’m kind of in the market to buy a turkey gun. What is everybody shooting? Any suggestions? Really don’t wanna spend more than $600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remington Youth 870 20ga w/ 21" vent rib barrel-- run 3" TSS or Fed Heavyweights and a small red dot.

The shorter stock is PERFECT for maneuvering around when sitting against brush and trees-- as is the short barrel-- truly the perfect combo.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Remington Youth 870 20ga w/ 21" vent rib barrel-- run 3" TSS or Fed Heavyweights and a small red dot.

The shorter stock is PERFECT for maneuvering around when sitting against brush and trees-- as is the short barrel-- truly the perfect combo.
I bought my son one of these this summer and have been thinking hard about setting it up for Turkeys this spring.

Hnthrdr

WKR
The big thing with them is the price. They’re just a nice cheap and effective little gun. Most guys don’t want to setup their other field guns with optics and super tight chokes. So they go buy one of these with the pic rail already on the gun and for a small price you’ve got a cheap little turkey killer and you can leave it that way forever. The .410 thing is just guys wanting ultralite as possible and guys who like to see what they can do with tss. With the price of .410 tss and finding the perfect choke combo for optimal performance it ends up getting expensive and overall not super practical. I’d get a 20 and be done with it.
I bought into the .410 hype, it’s fun, it’s novel, 9.5 tss patterns really well at 40 yards for me, but I think I have more money invested in ammo than in the shotgun, which is kind of silly. 20 ga is the better choice, I sometimes run my franchi 20 ga with 3rd degree federal or tss and had it pattern well out to 55 yards. Bottom line Turkey choke and pattern whatever you shoot and you will be fine

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
I bought into the .410 hype, it’s fun, it’s novel, 9.5 tss patterns really well at 40 yards for me, but I think I have more money invested in ammo than in the shotgun, which is kind of silly. 20 ga is the better choice, I sometimes run my franchi 20 ga with 3rd degree federal or tss and had it pattern well out to 55 yards. Bottom line Turkey choke and pattern whatever you shoot and you will be fine
I’ve definitely been tempted! I watch alot of the pattern videos on YouTube. And the gear nut part of me makes the temptation worse. But when a box of 5 shells is 40-60$ and the decent chokes are sitting at 60-80$ it gets less tempting in a hurry. I’ll probably succumb to temptation eventually though.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’ve definitely been tempted! I watch alot of the pattern videos on YouTube. And the gear nut part of me makes the temptation worse. But when a box of 5 shells is 40-60$ and the decent chokes are sitting at 60-80$ it gets less tempting in a hurry. I’ll probably succumb to temptation eventually though.
Yep I’m serial tinkerer, went with the Stevens 301, I liked the metal receiver over the tuffy, I bought a bunch of shells at 35 a box on a sale and it’s been fun. Hoping to break it in this year on a mountain gobbler in Co. it is fun to carry around, feels toy like