Turkey Gun

jimmy33

WKR
I shot my first turkey this last year and I had more fun than I thought I would. I’m kind of in the market to buy a turkey gun. What is everybody shooting? Any suggestions? Really don’t wanna spend more than $600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to preface this with don't knock it till ya try it. I went w a 20ga savage 301t single shot w a red dot on it. The thing is short and light, perfect for walking all day, which love to do (17 miles the last day of season this year, per onX). I shoot Apex TSS, and that crap hammers: I've heard of folks dropping birds at 50 or more yards.

Plus, it has an added benefit, I don't care what happens to it, I'm pretty sure my red dot was two or three times as expensive as my gun.

I got a rossi tuffy turkey .410 this past season and freaking love it. After hauling a bow/rifle all fall it feels like a toy. It has a polymer lower receiver so it's crazy light, which is why I chose it over the savage- otherwise the savage is probably the more popular gun. It's definitely not the finest hunting implement but weighs nothing and if I drop it, bang it up, or even manage to break it i'm only out 180$.

Holocene

WKR
20 gauge Ithaca M37 Turkey Slayer with an Aimpoint 9000sc on it.

Shot for the past six years or so. Trigger is tuned to about 3# and the gun is on heavier side so the recoil is the softest of any of my guns except a 22lr.

If building another gun, I'd consider a Winchester SX4 20 gauge with a red dot, trigger job, and turkey choke.

I either shoot TSS or Winchester Longbeard XR #5s depending on how angry I am at the birds.

One caution -- some guns have issues with the roll crimped turkey loads out there on the market, including the Longbeard XR and TSS loads. These run a few mm longer than start crimp shotgun shells and don't cycle as well. I'm considering starting to reload 2.75" TSS loads just to avoid cycling issues.

bradb

WKR
I have shot them with 12, 20, 16, 410, muzzle loading shot gun, and bow. I set up a youth Weatherby SA 08 20 for taking kids new to turkkey hunting. It is about all I use anymore and have no desire for anything different

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot them with 12, 20, 16, 410, muzzle loading shot gun, and bow. I set up a youth Weatherby SA 08 20 for taking kids new to turkkey hunting. It is about all I use anymore and have no desire for anything different
I have an SA-08. What choke are you using?

bradb

WKR
I can check exactly what choke constriction later. Its a Sum toy that he recommended. Several friends have set up the same sa 08 youth with the same choke and they are dang good set ups

Hnthrdr

WKR
.410 Stevens with a red dot and Turkey choke thing is awesome. Tss 9.5 loads had me poking 120 holes in an 10” circle at 35 yards, I also use my .20 guage franchi or an older model mossberg 500A with the shorter barrel. They all do the trick

Zhem

FNG
I am in the same boat and looking for a turkey specific gun. In addition to the Mossberg 835, I have also been looking at the 935…any thoughts or opinions on it vs the 835?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Supaphly

FNG
If you want a great gun for the money, look at the Girsan mc312. They make different styles like turkey and goose. They are beneill clones. A few of my buddies have them and they keep up with my benelli all day. I believe they are under $700 and some come with a red dot sight.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking to get a new turkey gun this year to have one gun set up for my kids and I to hunt with. I think I've settled on the winchester sxp longbeard in 20 guage. I can adjust the stock to a shortened length of pull for the kids, pistol grip, shorter barrel that's backbored, already drilled and tapped, and set up with a choke for longbeard xr. At right around $500, it should check all the boxes for me.

I have read the trigger can be so-so, but the few I've handled felt fine.

Zhem

FNG
If you want a great gun for the money, look at the Girsan mc312. They make different styles like turkey and goose. They are beneill clones. A few of my buddies have them and they keep up with my benelli all day. I believe they are under $700 and some come with a red dot sight.
Thanks for the recommendation, will look into it.

wildcat33

WKR
I am in the same boat and looking for a turkey specific gun. In addition to the Mossberg 835, I have also been looking at the 935…any thoughts or opinions on it vs the 835?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 935 is a master of one job: launching high test turkey and waterfowl loads. Basic as they come, pretty heavy, and easy to service. Black makes a good canvas for a shitty home rattle can paint job. If you want to shoot target loads or any standard 2-3/4" shells, its unlikely to function consistently. If that suits you, its an awesome gun.

Attachments

• IMG_0466.JPG
    IMG_0466.JPG
    567.7 KB · Views: 35