Need advice - driving on icy I-25 and lost control multiple times

EastMT

WKR
Be powder puff on the gas, don’t let up all at once, don’t give it gas all at once. Nothing initiates a slip sideways faster than gas/no gas momentum shift on solid ice. And by solid ice I’m no talking packed snow, different animal.

Don’t drive with your hands clinched at 10-2 like a race car driver. Relax your hands/arms, rest your hands on the console/door. Nothing leads to over correction more than nerves/clinched up high on the wheel, makes for an easy quick full turn of the wheel.

A little lower PSI could help depending on the tire/load

Add 500+ pounds sand bags to your truck bed. Trucks are the worst on ice, SUV’s/cars are better balanced. There’s a reason Subaru is popular in mountain towns.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I have those tires on my 2014 Ram 1500. Not the best on ice, but I've not had that bad a time with them.

You should have a select trac transfer case, put it in 4 Auto and leave it there. It will straighten you out if the back end loses traction. 4 Auto is for driving on roads that have both ice/snow and dry sections. The 4WD selection locks the transfer case, and it isn't good to run like that on dry pavement.

If you feel the truck start to slip, let off the gas immediately.

Others have made a lot of good suggestions. Be safe.

Jeremy

I’ve got 4H and 4L, but no 4 Auto unfortunately. It’s all or nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I appreciate all the advice, gents. I’m going to air down the tires and throw 500lbs in the bed. There is a tire store here nearby and I may swing by and ask about better tires. I’ll eat the remaining tread if it gives some stability. It’s ice that is causing the problem, and outside of studded tires I don’t know if a new set will help, but it’s worth the attempt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Maybe just put snow tires on the rear. Blizzak's are very good. You shouldn't need them on the front.

Jeremy

cnelk

WKR
Yesterday my GF drove up to Casper, then west to Shoshoni, then up to Worland. Said the roads were complete crap.
Did OK with her Chevy Equinox - All Wheel Drive.

Use that 4wd
Stay safe

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
I've been very happy with my falken at3ws so far. I bought them because I saw a ton of people talking them up on the super duty forum and 0 negative reviews. I haven't had them in winter conditions yet but as others mentioned they are rated for it. Fair price too

Coldtrail

WKR
I've driven in snow country my entire life, and doing hound hunts we are out during and just after most snow events. The tire sizes on modern trucks are designed for dry road handling and looking cool. Some of the big low profile tire sizes that come stock on today's trucks will absolutely hydroplane like crazy and float on slush and snow. First thing we do once we burn off the factory skins is get a narrower size, you'll be surprised how much difference an inch makes driving on snow/slush.

Clarence

WKR
Like others have said. Light on the throttle, light to the brake. Stay loose. Give yourself space and time to react. 4wd will help keep your front-end going in the right direction. You can go like mad in 4wd, but it does nothing for stopping you. Use it, but don't get a false sense of security from it. Stay safe today. Stay safe out there man

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good advice here,

Add weight

Four wheel high

NO SUDDEN MOVEMENT

Don't drive like a Christmas time Audi commercial.

Only thing I'd disagree with is deflating your tires that's good for sinking or deep sand and fresh snow powder not hard slick conditions the more weight you have on a smaller surface area the better you'll stick duallys are great on soft powder snow but absolutely suck on ice and hard pack think of it like a sled you want a sled too go faster/pull easier increase the weight and surface area and it slides easier.

It's sipping for ice that's needed. Might have plenty of tread left, but if the sips are gone it's worthless on ice. The tire is hot and actually turns the top bit of ice to water, that water needs somewhere to go.

Do everything slow as said, throttle slow, break slow, turn easy. Run in 4hi. I don't trust 4 auto. I don't know about the new systems but the original auto 4 would detect slipping before engaging. That's fine in some circumstances, that's not what I want on the road at 40-45 mph.

Jethro

WKR
You'll be fine keeping it in 4H. I have an 18 Ram and it doesn't have 4Auto either. I'd have shifted in as soon as it slid 1st time. Especially if you could see the road was icy. Keep it in 4H and drive like you have a 2wd drive.

I have those tires and they did pretty good in a Wyoming snowstorm with just 5/32" left. I was loaded down heavy though.

I wonder if the road conditions will improve as the DOT is able to service them more? Seems like with storms it's always really bad up front and gets better as folks are able to work the problem.

Whisky

WKR
I didn't read all the responses, just glanced.

NO CRUISE CONTROL (didn't see this mentioned anywhere)

4WD at all times

No sudden accelerating or braking.

muddydogs

WKR
I would not air down my tires for highway driving, airing down tires for highway conditions doesn't help much and can cause problems if you pick up to much speed not to mention the damage to the tire or wheel that can be caused from road damage and not enough air in the tire.

I'm not sure what your max tire pressure is but on my Ram 2500 if I don't have 80 in the rears and 60 in the fronts the TPMS is always going off so that is what I run. In 40 years of driving pickups across the West I have never aired down for highway driving.

Your issues sounds like a tire issue, old tires about worn down and they probably don't have the flex in the tread that they once had.

A little weight will help some but adding weight is overrated in most cases, be aware that adding to much weight reduces the weight on the front axle which causes more issues.

I know it's not worth it for a few trips to snow country a year, but man, real snow tires will make you feel invincible. I'm surprised every year how much of a difference they make. I threw mine on for the season yesterday.

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
4H and take your time. Weather conditions will be better today in WY as it is supposed to be sunny so the roads should get better as the day goes on. Just watch for ice in the shade. The roads were terrible yesterday and very icy.