Trout fishing - CO - advice please?

bz_711

WKR
Looking for any tips/recommendations related to trout fishing in CO.
Last summer took the family camping and we spent one day fishing at Twin Lakes south of Leadville...as non of us had ever fished CO or caught trout. Just used our basic zebco and spinning reel gear from home, tight-lined on bottom with some kind of power bait and kids did pretty well...grilled up some yummy trout that night:) Most importantly they loved it!

Family is going to RMNP this summer.
-Any tips for "drive up" fishing in RMNP that kids could try while other family is picnicking? (or other public water around Estes)
-Any particular lake hikes better than others if we pack rods? My kids have done Lake Haiyaha and Dream/Emerald lake so willing to go 7+ miles round trip with the little ones.
-Are there any cheap packable fly-rod combos available for first timers like us?
-If we stick to our regular bass fishing rods what is your recommended method/bait?

Any advice/tips appreciated...I've never fished for trout myself, but kids had a ball last summer and want to keep the interest growing (4 kids aged 5-12).

Thanks!

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
-And recommended method for transferring fish from hike in lake back to car (cooler, ice, Ziploc?)
Thanks

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Just make sure you check all the regs as a great portion of CO is flies and lures only. I can't help you with lakes.......I'm a river fly fisherman.

I haven't done much fishing in RMNP, but I've heard that the lakes are very under-fished especially the longer trails. Just a warning: RMNP and a lot of the smaller and more popular lakes in CO are artificial lure and fly only (no powerbait, worms, etc). I have seen people blatantly disregard this and will usually ignore if it's for a kid who obviously can't fish by him/herself, but otherwise I will say something to the person so please plan ahead. If you want to catch fish, than the most effective method on a high lake is going to be a fly and bubble setup. As far as flies go they usually aren't overly picky in those lakes, but I have found various colored humpy's (red, orange, yellow) to be my go-to while you could always try caddis or mosquitoes or even a hopper (unlikely depending on how high you go). As far as lures, the best spinner for CO (especially at Twin Lakes) is a #1 or #2 silver or gold blue fox. That being said, for high mountain lakes I have had better luck with small Mepps (black fury trout pack is the best) or the smallest countdown Rapala they make. The problem becomes that the lures are so light that they are difficult to cast.

As far as a cheap fly rod; this is a good starter package: Amazon.com: DELUXE Wild Water AX56-090-4 Complete Starter Package: Sports & Outdoors

5wt is a perfect all around size and can be used for smaller bass back home as well.

Also, be careful that you are only keeping Colorado cutthroat as Greenback cutthroat are a protected species (even though recent genetic tests have shown they aren't truly greenbacks).

From the regs:
Children 12 years of age or under, however, may use worms or preserved fish eggs in all park waters open to fishing except those designated as catch-and-release areas.

Fishing - Rocky Mountain National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Use 2# line and you will get bit much more. Crappie jigs and trout worms work well. Remember, 2#..

I wouldn't go as low as 2# personally because brook trout have sharp teeth. Last year I tried running a 6x leader in a lake full of 8" brookies and lost 3 flies in a row before I had enough and switched to a 4x. 4# is the lowest I would go and what I usually run at high altitude. I have a spool of 6 for lower altitudes where a 5# brown is a possibility. camelclutch does make a good point though in that trout will be effected by line, so it is something you will have to think about. Rather than re-spooling all of your reels though I would recommend just getting a small spool of 4lb fluorocarbon and tying a few feet up front. Fluoro is more abrasion resistant and more clear but much more expensive. Brookies will eat anything that resembles food, so the line won't bug them at all no matter what you use.

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
Thanks for the info guys!
Most likely I'll be looking to bring spinning reels and use the adjust-a-bubble technique for now. I read the regs - and plan to keep it simple, just want to create another experience for them and hopefully catch a couple. Might look into some telescopic rods that will fit into the kids small hydration packs they take on hikes.

All taken on 2# line. It's plenty strong.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 39

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
All taken on 2# line. It's plenty strong.

Unless you have a cannon for a hook setting response........like I do. I'll snap that line so fast, he won't even know he was hooked. My normal fly fishing setup for rivers has 13lb leader attached to my flies. For dries I will go down to 4lb, but I'll still break off bigger fish on the hook set.

Equipment makes a difference with the lighter lines. I fish light and set the hook like a rock star but the line, rod and drag are all set up for it. I have used 2# for pike with no leader and been fine. It does make you fish but you will get more bites with the lighter line. Oh, no hi-vis lines either. Clear, green or smoke usually works well. Try it, it's awesome.

Might look into some telescopic rods that will fit into the kids small hydration packs they take on hikes.

Look into the Dawia Spinmatic for a cheap 4 piece ultralight rod. Otherwise the Eagle Claw Pack-it is another good option for both 4 piece and telescoping, but a little heavier duty. I have both and they work great.

JoshTX

WKR
Lots of good info here.

Can anyone elaborate on their preferred method/technique for using say Rooster tails or Mepps Spinners?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Lots of good info here.

Can anyone elaborate on their preferred method/technique for using say Rooster tails or Mepps Spinners?

I just got back into fishing but as noted above "colorado spoons" seem to work well for trout in my initial experience so far: Thomas Lures Colorado Spoon : Cabela's

Cast/real and see if they're hitting. I limited out the other night at Turquoise lake within an hour (I was just looking for a meal for camping that night) and snagged a couple more from another lake later that weekend on the way home from scouting.

I cast spinners up and across stream. Reel as slow as you can but fast enough to get the blade moving. Still target eddies, ledges and other holding areas. Give a little twitch every now and then. I hardly ever fish against the flow of the creek/river.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fly and bubble will be most productive on small lakes. I often run a dropper off the fly too or fish two Flys on same leader. Doubled up plenty of times too

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
I always get good info and responses on Rokslide - really appreciate it!

Make sure to include the classics. You can catch fish on Daredevils, Kastmasters, Pheobes, crappie jigs, crank baits and jerk baits. Along with flies, each one has a time and place. Small is the key and usually trout that live in out of way places go nuts for movement. For floats/bobbers I like Thill Shy Bites or something similar. Easy to put on and take off or move up and down. If you are using flies call or stop by a local fly shop to get an idea of patterns. It will make a difference in bites you get.