trophy room ideas

shedhead

FNG
Just started on my addition last week, when its complete I will have a 36X26 Family/Trophy Room. Its going to have a ledge on one side to do a diorama with a life size mule deer. It will have 10ft walls and vaulted cellings. Iv heard of guys waffer boarding the entire room so you dont have to worrie about finding a stud. Has anybody done this? How thick sheating did you use? I am just looking for any ideas that would be cool to incorporate in my room or does any body have any suggestions that they wish they would have done different? I am also getting a new 12X12 gun/reloading room, Does anybody have any suggestions for that as well? Please Post pics of your rooms.
Thanks

OP
S

shedhead

FNG
Waffer board is just another name for OSB sheeting. Im not sure if that would be strong enough, Plywood would probly be a better idea.

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
For sure use plywood over osb........I suggest 5/8 if you can afford it, especially if you have any good size elk shoulder mounts. Remember to change you door/window jambs accordingly if your using prehung.

wyosteve

WKR
Also agree with using plywood instead of OSB. I used 1/2 in. on mine before drywall and never had any issues. Was really nice not to have to worry about finding a stud.

tuffcity

WKR
My wife's cousin has a sizable mount collection and when he built his room it was 3/4" ply under drywall- had a large amount of mounts on the wall.

RC

During construction I saved end cuts of 2X8, 2X10, 2X12's. I cut them the proper length to screw in place between the studs in areas I knew I would hang heads.

MattB

WKR
When we did my trophy room, we used 3/8" plywood between the studs and 5/8" at the ends of the room where the larger mounts would go. Based on local building code and the implications re: the electrical boxes, my contractor elected not to go over the studs but between with the mounting material.

I would use 5/8 ply or osb. As mentioned above by Triple, make sure you adjust your window/door jams for those walls when you order them and let your electrician know to hold his/your boxes out another 5/8ths too. As for ideas, a barn wood wainscoting around the room looks nice, maybe a 8/4 slab of tree for your "ledge", or T&G for your vaulted ceiling...sounds like a fun project, hope to see a finish photo, happy building.

carlc

Lil-Rokslider
I have built a couple trophy rooms. Lined with 7/16 OSB before drywall on both. One has a life sized goat, one with a shoulder mounted Yukon moose, with no problems. When hanging, use a large diameter acre with coarse threads. Also, if you are doing stone, plan where you may want to hang an animal, and Velcro those stones to the wall for easy removal to set a screw. Rusty tin, metal, rough timbers, repurposed lanterns for lights, blue pine, the list goes on. A cool app for house ideas is called houzz. Check it out