Tripod or new binoculars?

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
This is my third year hunting. I started with entry-level vortex binoculars, but it did not take long to realize their limitations. I’ve got elk and mulie tags for this fall, and the mule deer hunt is in open desert country. I need to up my glassing capabilities. I was looking at high-powered binoculars or spotters when I realized that my budget would be best spent upgrading my primary glass.

Now, I could get something like a used Zeiss Conquest if I stretch my budget, but what about simply mounting my crossfire 10x42s on a tripod? It would be better than freehanding it and cheaper than a glass upgrade. Thoughts?

BBob

WKR
If all you can afford right now is a tripod do it. What you have with a tripod is better than no tripod. When I started all I had was cheap porro prism 8x Bushnell that every sports store carried. I found a lot more deer with those and a tripod than before without the tripod. I saved and within a year or so I bought Zeiss 10x40 BGAT’s which were the best you could get at the time (Swaro wasn’t even on the map back then). It took a number of years to save for Zeiss 15’s.

SloppyJ

WKR
If you decide tripod, I feel for you. That's when the hunt begins. I've been trying to figure it all out and I have no experience with anything other than a BOG I let my son shoot from in a blind.

I'd like to find a decent tripod that I can glass and shoot from that isn't an arm and a leg like the RR stuff. Still trying to figure that out. Not to mention all of the different head options.

Marble

WKR
This is my third year hunting. I started with entry-level vortex binoculars, but it did not take long to realize their limitations. I’ve got elk and mulie tags for this fall, and the mule deer hunt is in open desert country. I need to up my glassing capabilities. I was looking at high-powered binoculars or spotters when I realized that my budget would be best spent upgrading my primary glass.

Now, I could get something like a used Zeiss Conquest if I stretch my budget, but what about simply mounting my crossfire 10x42s on a tripod? It would be better than freehanding it and cheaper than a glass upgrade. Thoughts?
I vote tripod. But do not buy something cheap. There are several quality companies out there. To get something durable and that performs, it will cost quite a bit.

Tricer makes some great options and they are having a 20% off sale this weekend.

Outdoorsman is another brand I like and use.

Buy once cry once.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
@madtinker

When you upgrade your binos. Wait until you can buy the alpha glass. You will save money by doing so.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Let me play devils advocate here and say...both. Lets say youd buy Conquests for....650, with no tripod.

If you have a limited budget, look for the best used deal you can on a Leupold BX-4, Maven C1, Sig Zulu6, Vortex Viper (japan made). I might be missing a few in this price range. But you should be able to get any of them for 300-400. Ballpark anyway. The conquest is going to be better, but IMO theres a bigger gap between the crossfires and the ones I listed than the ones I listed and the Conquests. Especially the ones I listed AND a tripod.

Next, grab a Slik 632. I have a 624, 634 and 632 and its not even close that I prefer the 632. You cant stand and glass, but I never do and the 632 is the sturdiest, lightest and least expensive out of the 3. Right now S&S has them for 194.

For heads, the Aziak Ball head is a really solid option. I have one of the Aziak that I keep on the 634 that I bought to just have a ball head, that I find myself actually using a good bit. Maybe youlll want a pan head down the road, but the Aziaks are 60 bucks right now. You just arent going to find many heads better for that price.

And an Aziak Bino Clamp, right now they are 30 bucks.

So Conquests and no tripod at 650

And 1 of the options I listed, with tripod, head and bino clamp for 600-700.

Those binos should relatively hold their value if you decide to sell them at some point and go to mid tier or alpha. That gets you to this season with decent primary binos and a tripod set up.

In a year or 2 if you want to bump up to Conquests/Maven B Series/Trinovids, or up to Alphas etc you should be able to sell them for roughly what you paid for them, and youll already have a tripod/head set up in the process.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Buy the binos. I know it sounds bad but you can find a cheap tripod on Amazon for $40 that'll allow you to glass as you need.

Sounds bad, but my first muley hunt in Wyoming I had a used pair of 1st Gen Swaro ELs I found on Craigslist for $1000 and then used a CHEAP $20 tripod.

Ya, it wasn't perfect, but it was stable enough for me to glass up a bunch of mule deer does during the week.

A $40 tripod won't be smooth, or the lightest, or made of carbon fiber. Might not allow you to stand....but it will be sturdier than your hands, and you may need to jerk it as your glossing rather than smooth panning across a mountain side, but it will get the job done.

Moreover, as your hiking or walking you may use them for 30 seconds to take a quick look at a new area before setting up your tripod for a long glassing session.

Buy the best glass first.

jimh406

WKR
I think it depends on how you hunt and the terrain. Are you the type of person that can sit in one place for hours? If so, maybe a tripod. However, you'll be shocked at how much better you can see with better binoculars. Actually, I guess you already know you need new binoculars.

Of course, tripods also adds lbs to your gear. If you will spot out of your car, that might be ok.

You'll get the benefit of better binoculars all of the time. You'll only get the benefit of the tripod when you setup to use it.

Mcribs

Lil-Rokslider
If you can’t get top glass, get a good light tripod, like a carbon Slik. Hunt with your current glass this year. That way, once you can afford the new glass, you have a pretty sweet setup.

twall13

WKR
In my opinion, you won't reap the rewards of really good binoculars without a tripod. If all you are doing is hand holding quickly to check things out cheap binos are fine. If you are spending a lot of time behind them (and you should be) you definitely want them on a tripod and that's when you'll notice the difference in good glass.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Best binos you can afford
Then put a Wiser BA7 Sparrow plate on it for $40 (you will need to buy something anyway in order to use a tripod)
Then buy costco trekking poles for $40

You now have a stable enough way to use the binos to fullest capability, and way cheaper/lighter/easier to pack than a tripod

Then buy a tripod later if you still want it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Tripod mounting will turn a fair binocular into a good binocular. Glassing off a tripod does improve your glassing ability considerably. It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
I got distracted for a few days, but I appreciate all the input, especially the detailed product recommendations.

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
Best binos you can afford
Then put a Wiser BA7 Sparrow plate on it for $40 (you will need to buy something anyway in order to use a tripod)
Then buy costco trekking poles for $40

You now have a stable enough way to use the binos to fullest capability, and way cheaper/lighter/easier to pack than a tripod

Then buy a tripod later if you still want it
I already pack poles, so this is a great idea - I’ll definitely consider it.

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
Let me play devils advocate here and say...both. Lets say youd buy Conquests for....650, with no tripod.

If you have a limited budget, look for the best used deal you can on a Leupold BX-4, Maven C1, Sig Zulu6, Vortex Viper (japan made). I might be missing a few in this price range. But you should be able to get any of them for 300-400. Ballpark anyway. The conquest is going to be better, but IMO theres a bigger gap between the crossfires and the ones I listed than the ones I listed and the Conquests. Especially the ones I listed AND a tripod.

Next, grab a Slik 632. I have a 624, 634 and 632 and its not even close that I prefer the 632. You cant stand and glass, but I never do and the 632 is the sturdiest, lightest and least expensive out of the 3. Right now S&S has them for 194.

For heads, the Aziak Ball head is a really solid option. I have one of the Aziak that I keep on the 634 that I bought to just have a ball head, that I find myself actually using a good bit. Maybe youlll want a pan head down the road, but the Aziaks are 60 bucks right now. You just arent going to find many heads better for that price.

And an Aziak Bino Clamp, right now they are 30 bucks.

So Conquests and no tripod at 650

And 1 of the options I listed, with tripod, head and bino clamp for 600-700.

Those binos should relatively hold their value if you decide to sell them at some point and go to mid tier or alpha. That gets you to this season with decent primary binos and a tripod set up.

In a year or 2 if you want to bump up to Conquests/Maven B Series/Trinovids, or up to Alphas etc you should be able to sell them for roughly what you paid for them, and youll already have a tripod/head set up in the process.
That’s a super-detailed response. I was wondering where to even start with tripods, and this sounds like a really solid option!

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I already pack poles, so this is a great idea - I’ll definitely consider it.
Even if you don't want to use just poles as a base, I highly recommend the BA7 as an arca rail for tripods also.

Its currently the best option for bino+arca

I would say a decent tripod like a sirui or slik first, they have options with ball heads that don’t break the bank and it will greatly enhance your viewing experience if you like to sit and glass.

I went cheap tripod at first and it was literally shit.

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
Even if you don't want to use just poles as a base, I highly recommend the BA7 as an arca rail for tripods also.

Its currently the best option for bino+arca
That’s what I’ve been thinking. I’ll need an adaptor at some point; why not start with one that lets me try just the pole, and I can move up from there.