Tripod for backpack hunting

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
I'm currently looking to buy a tripod which will mainly be used on backpack hunts using 15x50 binocs or spotting scope depending on season and hunt area. I was wondering what others with a lot of experience glassing Mule deer etc would recommend for a back packing tripod that has a good balance of stability and not to heavy.

kravguy

WKR
From a guy looking to pick up his first spotter, i would be interested in this info as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

efnm

WKR
I use a bogpod short tripod. While it is 14 oz. heavier than the Silk, it doubles as a shooting stick or rifle mounted tripod, depending on the attachment you use. I really like the stability of shooting off of it.

But holy crap have they increased their prices in the past year or so, apparently. Good product though.

WRO

WKR
Slik 634, I like clips with an outdoorsman head.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hunter6

WKR
I use the slik 634 pro cf from s&s archery with an Outdoorsmans' micro pan head. I'm really enjoying that set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GPATTI

WKR
I recently bought the Vortex Summit SS-P, which is 2.2 lbs. I bought this for a sheep hunt I am going on next year. Have not used it yet, but seems like a pretty good design. Nice thing is that you can pick them up on Amazon for about $130.

Vortex Optics - Summit SS-P Tripod

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I recently bought the Vortex Summit SS-P, which is 2.2 lbs. I bought this for a sheep hunt I am going on next year. Have not used it yet, but seems like a pretty good design. Nice thing is that you can pick them up on Amazon for about $130.

Vortex Optics - Summit SS-P Tripod

I have one as well. I'm perfectly pleased with it for the size/price point for my style glassing so far as my entry into using binos on tripod. Don't bother trying to raise up the center post (too rocky) but its unneeded since I just set it up with 2 or 3 sections extended over top of my lap while I'm sitting. Piece of cake on my 8x42s and I was just last night trying a 15-45x65 spotter on it, a bit jumpy in the head movement but not sure if that is inevitable looking through that level of magnification or not, someone with more experience can comment. That said it'll hold up that spotter and seems perfectly stable (from a sitting position) with it, its steady once you lock it in to allow you to zoom/review what you are glassing.

twall13

WKR
If I was going to use a tripod strictly for glassing on backpack hunts I'd get either a Surui T-025X or the Slik 624 from S&S Archery. With either one I'd put an Outdoorsmans Micro pan head on it unless I had a really big spotter, then the Outdoorsmans full sized pan head. I think that setup is tough to beat for simply glassing purposes. Since I use my tripod for photography as well as glassing I wanted something a little taller so I went with the Promaster XC525C. If it was strictly for backpack glassing I'd gladly give up the extra height to save a few ounces. As it is I'm willing to take the weight penalty that goes with the taller Promaster for my needs. With photography I also want something that can go vertical so a 2-way pan head doesn't work as well for me. At the moment I have a Sirui K-10X ball head on my tripod and I'm pretty happy with the setup overall but it's worth noting that I don't have a spotting scope and only glass with smaller binoculars. If I used a spotting scope I'm pretty sure I'd want a pan head as mentioned above.

mntnguide

WKR
Vortex summit ss-p is my go to for backpacking. Great tripod for high country hunting and at a much better price than the outdoorsman tripods. .maybe one day I'll see the point in a $400+ tripod, but I've gotten by plenty fine without one so far

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bbrown

WKR
I have been using the Sirui T-1005X:
Access Denied

It seems to be the best balance of cost, weight, packed size and stability after trying everything from the lower to mid end Slik and vortex up to Swarovski and Outdoorsmans. The jump to the carbon fiber models is just too much money for the weight savings to me.

I have been using the Sirui T-1005X:
Access Denied

It seems to be the best balance of cost, weight, packed size and stability after trying everything from the lower to mid end Slik and vortex up to Swarovski and Outdoorsmans. The jump to the carbon fiber models is just too much money for the weight savings to me.

I was having the same debate but fell into a little extra money and got the CF version. With the supplied ball head and a few modifications I'm down to 1.6 pounds. I use the head with an 82mm Meopta S2 and I was pleasantly surprised with its functionality. For the money the aluminum version is REALLY tough to beat for a backpacking tripod in my opinion.

OP
O

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
The Sirui T-1005X might be what I end up getting reviews seem to be pretty good on it and its only around $116 on Amazon right now! S & S Archery suggested the Benro S2 head on a Slik tripods. Anyone have any experience with the Benro S2 heads vs Outdoorsman Micro? The Benro is about half the cost of the outdoorsman so if they are similar I might go with the Benro.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Half the cost? It's literally a quarter of the cost of the Outdoorsman micro head. I've heard good things about the Benro head, if that helps. Steve said he likes it better than the PH-111V and that's a really popular head.

OP
O

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
Half the cost? It's literally a quarter of the cost of the Outdoorsman micro head. I've heard good things about the Benro head, if that helps. Steve said he likes it better than the PH-111V and that's a really popular head.

Haha yea I just went off memory when I posted that I just looked at the prices again and its deff quite a bit cheaper. The video of the Benro S2 made it seem like a nice head especially for the cost, I think I'm going to get that one give it a whirl for a season or two worst case upgrade later on and have a back up head. I think I'm going to go with the Sirui T1005X with the benro S2 head. Thanks for all the reviews it really helps to get real hand experience reviews from a number of different hunters.

fire652

WKR
I have the outdoorsman medium with pan head. This is a bomber setup. However after seeing a promaster cf 525(I believe) I wish I had gone that route with the outdoorsman pan head. I like the medium but that promaster is just as sturdy and lighter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robtattoo

WKR
Call me a cheap ass.

I use the Promaster Travel 1 tripod.
It's crap. It's cheaply made, the head is crap plastic & I'd hate to think I was using a 3 grand spotter on it, but for bino spotting, up to a few hundred yards......
It's <$20 & comes in at 15oz
I'll buy a new one every time it breaks & 10 years from now, still be dollars ahead.