“Glassing” set up for the house?

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all,

I’ve been fortunate to recently buy a home with a view where we can see the foothills of the mountains from about 0.5 - 2.5 miles away. I know there are lots of deer and elk that roam those foothills and would enjoy being able to watch them up close and determine the number and size of animals from far away.

Unlike most hunting optic questions, weight/size is irrelevant here. I already have a very robust tripod and a Sirui VA-5 head that I currently use with a cheap Konus spotting scope that I received as a gift years ago. I also have Leica 10x32 binos that I love for glassing but they aren’t sufficient for seeing details on critters from so far away.

My question - For watching animals from afar (roughly 0.5 - 2+ miles away) with a system that lives in the house on a heavy tripod permanently, what’s the best value that will still work relatively well?

Bonus points if it can also be used for shooting at the range or potentially on glassing intensive hunts, such as 15x or 18x binos, however I wonder would be effective at such long distances? If not, what mag range on a spotter would be best for this use case and what’s a good value spotter for this purpose?

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I always prefer binos over spotting scopes and I love my swaro 15X56 but the Meopta is almost as good.

A big eye setup or BTX. When I had my BTX I spotted animals at 3+ miles regularly from my front door.

I love my Swaro 15x56
But nothing I have compares to my newly acquired BTX/95 - and I’ll carry them up a mountain if needed …

OP
Z

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
What's your budget?
115 w/ATX or if not the biggest objective vortex you can swing.
Good point about budget, that certainly changes the suggestions. I hadn’t thought much about cost yet but I’m trying to be better about embracing the “buy once, cry once” mentality and I know optics can get expensive quickly. That said, if the setup I buy is more versatile for hunting/range use I’d be willing to spend a bit more for better quality/durability.

Lets say the budget hs $300-500 for something that only sits at the house and up to $1000 for something with more versatility.

OP
Z

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at all your suggestions, this may be a bugger investment than I initially expected. May need to do a bit more research, save up for a while and revise the budget…

I love the idea of big eyes or BTX but I think that would be too expensive at this time. Maybe in the future though.

Do you all think 15x binos would work to watch animals that far away or am I better served with a spotter?

• Haha
Reactions: CMF

180ls1

WKR
Looking at all your suggestions, this may be a bugger investment than I initially expected. May need to do a bit more research, save up for a while and revise the budget…

I love the idea of big eyes or BTX but I think that would be too expensive at this time. Maybe in the future though.

Do you all think 15x binos would work to watch animals that far away or am I better served with a spotter?

What do you have now? Try that. Do you have friends with anything you could borrow? You can also rent glass or buy used and resell at a very small loss.

I'm guessing you'll want more than 15x.

OP
Z

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
What do you have now? Try that. Do you have friends with anything you could borrow? You can also rent glass or buy used and resell at a very small loss.

I'm guessing you'll want more than 15x.

Thank you, I was thinking the same that while 15x would be awesome for hunting/glassing, but leave me wanting more at such long distances.

I currently have this Konus scope and the image quality is so poor I almost never use it at this point. For perspective, I usually can see holes on paper targets better with my rifle scope at 100 yards than the spotter, hence my interest in upgrading now that we’re living somewhere I hope to use it often.

180ls1

WKR
Thank you, I was thinking the same that while 15x would be awesome for hunting/glassing, but leave me wanting more at such long distances.

I currently have this Konus scope and the image quality is so poor I almost never use it at this point. For perspective, I usually can see holes on paper targets better with my rifle scope at 100 yards than the spotter, hence my interest in upgrading now that we’re living somewhere I hope to use it often.

It may be spotting scopes (the whole 1 eye thing) in general. Surely a better scope would help but I don't like them and run 10x and 20x binos. I suspect that would work very well. Or 8 / 18. Something in that neighborhood.

CMF

WKR
Some diamondback 15x56 would probably be the best bang for your 3-500 budget. They definitely aren't top of the line and I hope to upgrade mine to some Swaro's some day, but not bad for <$400.

Man, I just looked up those BTX, I didn't realize what those things cost.. That's after kids move out budget :ROFLMAO:

OP
Z

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
@gr8fuldoug might give you a discount on one of these.

Thank you, I’ve seen a lot of praise for the Athlon Ares series. I think I’m likely down to that or a Vortex if I decide to buy a spotter that won’t break the budget. Seems Pentax and Opticron are other lesser known brands that get good reviews as well.

The more I think about it, I think I’ll likely buy a large, heavy spotter for the house that can still be used at the range or with a window mount. My 10x Leica are plenty good for my hunting needs right now and I don’t see myself packing a spotter very often, if ever, though down the road I may save up and buy a good pair of 15x if I ever find the 10x lacking.

Assuming similar component/quality, then I imagine an 85mm spotter would be better than a 65mm spotter for this purpose since it will get more light and be more clear at high mag ranges?

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
If you don't want a bino telescope like highlanders, then try large astronomical porros, Porros look great for less and offer massive objectives. Celestron, vixen, apm, dont have camo but have some great offerings. ( my favorite home bins are 15x70 eds.) For spotting scope look into a small refractor telescope assembly a decent one will smoke swaro spotters, less than 1k just no good in field.

Thank you, I’ve seen a lot of praise for the Athlon Ares series. I think I’m likely down to that or a Vortex if I decide to buy a spotter that won’t break the budget. Seems Pentax and Opticron are other lesser known brands that get good reviews as well.

The more I think about it, I think I’ll likely buy a large, heavy spotter for the house that can still be used at the range or with a window mount. My 10x Leica are plenty good for my hunting needs right now and I don’t see myself packing a spotter very often, if ever, though down the road I may save up and buy a good pair of 15x if I ever find the 10x lacking.

Assuming similar component/quality, then I imagine an 85mm spotter would be better than a 65mm spotter for this purpose since it will get more light and be more clear at high mag ranges?
Friends don't let friends buy Vortex

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am out of the store for the weekend but back on Monday. It would be my pleasure to discuss what might be best for you and pricing. Please give me a call, 516-217-1000, when you have time. Thanks and have a great weekend

In your current price range you might be surprised what an older Nikon EDIII 82mm with fixed mag eyepieces can do compared to more expensive options. There’s a fixed 50x for this scope as well that would be good for those longer ranges. Works for hunting too. A little heavy for packing around if you’re not gonna be behind it all day, but definitely worth keeping in the truck with a good tripod. IMG_3919.jpeg

I do not have personal experience with either of these but for that budget and range I’d look for some used Maven 18x56s b.5 or new or maybe new c4? Vortex makes a mid range 18x as well.

Scorpion

WKR
Swarovski BTX 95mm, with the 2x magnifier if you think they’ll be closer to 2.5 miles than 0.5 miles.

This is what I use in the field and it often gets setup in the house or on the deck to watch what is going on. Plus it goes to the range with me when shooting.

There is nothing more disappointing than looking through a crappy spotting scope.