Center Column or Not for Backpacking/Glassing/Shooting Tripod

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thats what I was hoping for
I like this ballhead better. It has a separate tension and then the handlebar for main tension. I can use the separate tension and set it to be able to nudge binos with my nose a little, and use the handlebar without having to loosen it.

I ran the Anvil 30 for a bit, and its great for shooting, but I liked this ballhead better for glassing. And, it didn't change shooting effectiveness.

Just an idea.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For me the first priority by a huge margin for a hunting tripod is glassing. I cannot deal with a tripod without a center column at all for glassing and I’ve tried. A pan head also far outweighs a ball head for me for glassing. I almost never need a tripod to make a shot either so there’s that but I can still effectively shoot off my column pan head equipped tripod if I wanted but I rarely do.
There are two distinct tripod uses, and you fall into the category that most of my hunting friends fall into: Tripods are for glassing, rarely shooting. I actually think most people don't want or even need a shooting tripod.

A few of us, and more as time goes on, are using tripods for both.

I ran the Anvil 30 for a bit, and its great for shooting, but I liked this ballhead better for glassing. And, it didn't change shooting effectiveness.
For those willing to carry an extra 7oz you can clip an RRS PT-Scout into the Anvil and have the best of both worlds.

Anybody using the Fotopro X-Aircross 3 Lite? It is only 1.78 lbs with a center column and the head. Sirui also makes a similar model, the Traveler X-II. I'm a little skeptical of the leg design but also think it could be great. For me glassing definitely comes first but shooting is also a necessity as I have had a few shots now that I would not have been able to make without the tripod. Usually because of tall brush.

If anybody is wanting a center column but worried about the extra weight or reduced stability, I just got the Slik 632 and it is amazing how stable it is and you can also remove most of the center column to save 2.2oz. I don't feel like I am sacrificing any stability with the tripod to have the center column.