Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44mm Field Eval Q&A

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thoughts on them? I've been thinking about getting some for cold weather hunting. Are they durable? Too warm for much activity?

The only footwear I’ve ever used that keeps my feet completely warm at 0°F static. Even in bunny boots my feet freeze. Durability is based on how they are used. The sole is very gummy/soft which is one of the reasons they don’t cold soak, but I would not go up too many bare scree slides with them.
Their biggest issue when not in deeper snow is they have almost no grip on the sole, so if going uphill, downhill, or side hill and it is slippery…. We’ll it’s fun. Deeper snow and steep is no issue. Putting slip over traction soles will work too.

To me, where I live they are the best winter shoe made. Even if I have to hike in a ways in broken or rocky terrain, in winter and snow I pack them to put on while I glass.

Jimbee

WKR
The only footwear I’ve ever used that keeps my feet completely warm at 0°F static. Even in bunny boots my feet freeze. Durability is based on how they are used. The sole is very gummy/soft which is one of the reasons they don’t cold soak, but I would not go up too many bare scree slides with them.
Their biggest issue when not in deeper snow is they have almost no grip on the sole, so if going uphill, downhill, or side hill and it is slippery…. We’ll it’s fun. Deeper snow and steep is no issue. Putting slip over traction soles will work too.

To me, where I live they are the best winter shoe made. Even if I have to hike in a ways in broken or rocky terrain, in winter and snow I pack them to put on while I glass.
Thank you!

SouthPaw

WKR
For me, I dislike donuts with a passion, I prefer a center dot, and I do not like the lopsided/uneven tick marks.

Now, all of that is nitpicking preferences, and if the scope is reliable, then it’s certainly usable and would be a good choice.

For me of what’s available, the 3-9x SWFA is still the best general hunting scope from contact to 600+ yards. Of all the new scopes, IF (and it’s a big if), the 3-18x Tenmile proves reliable, it would be the high mag ratio scope I would choose over the others so far.
Now that its been a year+ with the Tenmile, can you comment on the reticle usage for hunting. How is the FOV for shooting animals at distance in the midrange 6x-12ish compared to the SWFA HDs? Is the precision tree annoying at all at mid-mag or does it fall out of focus while shooting?

I'm considering one of these for a mountain rifle in 22cm for next fall. I used the 3-12x LRHS hunting last season and liked it, but I certainly prefer the reticle in my SWFA 3-9 and tend to dislike busy "tree" reticles. Practicing at long range has me sometimes wanting more mag at the top end for zooming the impacts on painted steel and boulders, especially the 22cals.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Now that its been a year+ with the Tenmile, can you comment on the reticle usage for hunting. How is the FOV for shooting animals at distance in the midrange 6x-12ish compared to the SWFA HDs? Is the precision tree annoying at all at mid-mag or does it fall out of focus while shooting?

FOV is fine, the tree isn’t in the way.

I'm considering one of these for a mountain rifle in 22cm for next fall. I used the 3-12x LRHS hunting last season and liked it, but I certainly prefer the reticle in my SWFA 3-9 and tend to dislike busy "tree" reticles.

The Mil-Quad reticle in the SWFA is much better for all around use. The Tenmile needs to be on 5-6x to be truly usable in Norman terrain and lower light.

Practicing at long range has me sometimes wanting more mag at the top end for zooming the impacts on painted steel and boulders, especially the 22cals.

The 3-9x SWFA remains the best overall combination of reliability, durability, reticle, size, weight, and magnification range of any scope made for general hunting at short to mid-range (0-700’ish yards)- while still being capable of long range in a pinch. There is no way I would sacrifice hunting and shooting usability to see hits on steel- that’s what binos or a spotter is for.

The 3-18x FFP Tenmile that I have seems to be a good choice for someone that just has to have 18x and is willing to sacrifice in other areas to get it. I’ve only seen a couple of them, and only one that has been used enough to say, so I can not state that they will work as a given, though the trend says yes, but if they do it has been probably the best 3-18x ish range scope I have used.

SouthPaw

WKR
FOV is fine, the tree isn’t in the way.

The Mil-Quad reticle in the SWFA is much better for all around use. The Tenmile needs to be on 5-6x to be truly usable in Norman terrain and lower light.

The 3-9x SWFA remains the best overall combination of reliability, durability, reticle, size, weight, and magnification range of any scope made for general hunting at short to mid-range (0-700’ish yards)- while still being capable of long range in a pinch.

Thanks for the quick reply. This confirms my suspicions on the Tenmile reticle comparing to the Milquad having not used a Trijicon personally. I have a spare 3-9x and my original plan had always been to use that one for this rifle.

There is no way I would sacrifice hunting and shooting usability to see hits on steel- that’s what binos or a spotter is for.
Good feedback, and agreed.

For what is worth, I skipped right to the 36” drops with mine and it held zero and continues to after riding around and I shot an NRL hunter match with it. About 600 rds on it so far. Really liking it, just got a Tenmile 4.5-30x56 for the gamer gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form - be interested to hear your thoughts on this compared with the LHRS 4.5-18 x 44 ...

The LRHS’s have generally been decent to good. They don’t always hold zero through the entire drop eval, but are a relatively well vetted scope that mainly works. I can’t stand donut reticles in general, nor do I particularly like the reticle in the LRHS at all. Just preference.

Nothing wrong with the LRHS, and they are probably a good choice for lots of people.