Trijicon Credo 3-9x40mm Q&A

m77huntr

FNG
Long time viewer but finally made an account, tons of great info on this site for the benefit of everyone. That said I have been following forms drop eval for quite some time, very informative and practical for just about anyone who can have a risk of dropping their rifle.

Can you still suggest Seekins rings? I see you used them in your scope mounting to retain zero thread but the above post about them not being your choice had me wondering if you can suggest them anymore or you had an issue with them? (Since Seekins manufactures Vortex rings).

Again thanks for all that you do, you saved me alot of frustration when my Leupold scope kept moving every range trip and I kept thinking it was the rifle or my load development, swapped scopes to a Trijicon and the problem went away.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Can you still suggest Seekins rings? I see you used them in your scope mounting to retain zero thread but the above post about them not being your choice had me wondering if you can suggest them anymore or you had an issue with them? (Since Seekins manufactures Vortex rings).

Again thanks for all that you do, you saved me alot of frustration when my Leupold scope kept moving every range trip and I kept thinking it was the rifle or my load development, swapped scopes to a Trijicon and the problem went away.

Glad to hear it.

Seekins aren’t my preference. In general they work ok, but I have seen a set broken, and know of a couple others. I don’t see anything they offer over standard pic rings with the single large nut.

nobody

WKR
Glad to hear it.

Seekins aren’t my preference. In general they work ok, but I have seen a set broken, and know of a couple others. I don’t see anything they offer over standard pic rings with the single large nut.
Interesting to hear you say this, as I also jumped on the Seekins PMR ring train after the “scope mounting to maintain zero” thread and tutorial you put together. I’ve heard of them breaking and cracking out recently on here. Just didn’t know how widespread it is or if it was with a certain ring batch or something. Back into the rabbit hole I go, better start shopping I guess

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Interesting to hear you say this, as I also jumped on the Seekins PMR ring train after the “scope mounting to maintain zero” thread and tutorial you put together. I’ve heard of them breaking and cracking out recently on here. Just didn’t know how widespread it is or if it was with a certain ring batch or something. Back into the rabbit hole I go, better start shopping I guess

If I had a set that was working, I wouldn’t necessarily go out and replace them. However, I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy more.

nobody

WKR
If I had a set that was working, I wouldn’t necessarily go out and replace them. However, I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy more.
How fast have you seen them break? Is it typically something you see happen fast? Or is it a slow, over time thing?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
How fast have you seen them break? Is it typically something you see happen fast? Or is it a slow, over time thing?

I haven’t seen enough to say man. The one set I personally have seen was pretty quick. The others I know of were a mixed bag.

nobody

WKR
I haven’t seen enough to say man. The one set I personally have seen was pretty quick. The others I know of were a mixed bag.
Fair enough, thanks for the honesty. I’ll just keep an eye on this set in the interim and when I rebarrel in the next year I’ll swap them out at that point. I appreciate the education. 👍

From last outing until your zero recheck, before the shots dialing, I assume that the "abuse" was just riding in a truck or was there any other conditions of "abuse" that it was put under other than the drop test?

Thank you for doing these test. I know it's just a sampling of one, but it definitely gives some guidance for which direction to look into when choosing a scope that works.

Also do you know if the Ascent is just the credo without the illuminated reticle? TIA

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
From last outing until your zero recheck, before the shots dialing, I assume that the "abuse" was just riding in a truck or was there any other conditions of "abuse" that it was put under other than the drop test?

Correct, just riding in the truck. This time with gear and other rifles piled on top of it which I usually do not do.

Thank you for doing these test. I know it's just a sampling of one, but it definitely gives some guidance for which direction to look into when choosing a scope that works.

No problem, glad it is helpful.

Also do you know if the Ascent is just the credo without the illuminated reticle? TIA

I’m not sure. My guess is no, but they could be.

I have had the vortex pro models crack on the tab that the base screws tighten but not the pmr models that are identical to the seekins.

It was immediate, on the first torquing.

The pmr models are much beefier than the pro, and the seekins/pmr is what is shown in the form zeroing thread

sndmn11

WKR
Fair enough, thanks for the honesty. I’ll just keep an eye on this set in the interim and when I rebarrel in the next year I’ll swap them out at that point. I appreciate the education. 👍
Tps rings can be had from Midway or Brownells for $75ish. They are a good value to add on to an order and have in the insurance box.

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Just throwing this out there... TO54C

Why dick around? The T084's are a known commodity, so I figured the 1" Sportstmatch rings would be the same. I run them on any weaver/picatinny setup now. Prefer 30mm, but still have a few 1" scopes on other rigs.

Here they are on my Frankenmauser:

cQczTJZ.jpg

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to hear it did okay. A 3 foot fall is something I would notice so a scope that mostly passes a 3 foot drop test is very usable. I'd just check zero before a long shot if it fell hard.
I put a Accupoint 1-4 on my bear rifle. I just ordered a Huron 2.5-10x40 for the kid's 308. Nice to know Trijicon scopes are holding up. I'm being selfish and keeping the SWFA 3-9 on my 30-06 for general hunting.

Oh I did drop test my Leopold 2-7. Failure. Some shift at 18 inches, scattered groups at3 feet. I do plan to check screws but I think it's the scope.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
BTW if Leopold warranties the scope I might get another one free....
Any idea if a fixed power Leopold is any better? I was thinking I f trying their 2.5x fixed

Macintosh

WKR
Thanks for doing this @Formidilosus, this is a scope that works well for the vx3/vx5 crowd, so I think a lot of people will be very happy to have a good option in this category.
Just received one of these scopes so also glad to see it fare respectably for what it is!

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Of course. I forgot to take a picture, however it was checked yesterday and zero was good.

prm

WKR
Glad to see this one tested. I have one and it’s been fine, but I didn’t feel the tests on the 30mm versions would really apply to this 1” scope. Perhaps Trijicon’s testing and design ultimately achieves similar durability with a different design. Seems reasonable so far.