Travis Bertrand's (Drhorsepower) semi-live hunt in Arizona

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
hey guys! exciting day today! i started the day off bummed as I was only finding loner does. I caught movement out of the corner of my eye, a JAVELINA!! one turned into 5 in a short amount of time, the fed down a drainage to to the very bottom. approx. 1/2 mile away. I wathced them rustle around in one spot for 10 minutes then movement stopped. they didnt come out so i figured they were bedded. I made my move, looped around to get wind in my favor. I spent 2 hours on the stalk, Needless to say, they were no longer there when I arrived. I hauled butt back up the hill and immediately picked them up 3-400 yards further than where i last saw them feeding. I watched them for a while and decided I was going to get in front of them on thier way up the drainage. I was making my way to another hill to see if i can get better eyres on them and immediately picked up a bedded buck! a forkie but a buck I couldnt see from my other location, I dropped the pack and dug out the spotter, picked up 6 does and 3 bucks altogher. the best buck wsa a 18-19' crawdad 4x4. That is when I called Doug. conversation went like, "doug, I need you to talk me out of this buck.( I already texted him specs)." He immediately replied, " I'd shoot him!" That ws good enough for ME! I got a gameplan down, Circled down wind and out of sight. the wind was a steady 10-15 when I started my stalk. All was perfect, wind, terrain, the ground was soft and stalking in my socks was virtually silent. Like I said all was perfect EXCEPT the wind started howling! THe deer moved up the canyon close to the hill I was using as my glassing spot. I moved more downwind and across the drainage to get eyes on them. They were a ways away. I think it was less windy there? They bedded down.I went up the drainage the same way i went down, Got above them to try and find them and I caught them heading back down the drainage I originally saw them in. It was during the last half hour of light and it would have taken me atleast 20 minutes to get to him. They were double timing it by then as well, not spooked but moving and feeding . I think because it was so windy.they wanted to get to some more cover. I was 1/4 mile away. It sure was fun though.
I am bringing my predator call tomorrow!

pics to come soon.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
51F7C3E6-F3F7-43CF-865C-B2DC80C69150-333-0000001F05421872.jpg

4CB96BDC-63D2-4D6D-A788-507E163EF131-333-0000001EFF5E496F.jpg

4AFEB435-A7D7-41E2-A807-C124EA2AE915-333-0000001EF8A3D689.jpg

0DE1DB28-FBDC-4C07-A7D5-FAF37ED4EF44-333-0000001EF2D12E64.jpg

Here is the first buck I picked up.

Slim Jim

WKR
Sounds like you had fun today. It seems to be getting better every day. I think you are going to get it done soon Travis. Good luck tomorrow!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Go Travis,
that bucks looks oh so horney. That is going to work in your favor sooner or later.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I came to the spot that I saw the biggest buck so far. I have turned up 6 does without a buck, I did see another group of deer 2.5 miles away with a buck. I couldn't get the best view of him, he didn't look special but worth a trip down to the ranger and head over his way to try and turn him up. I'm going to stay here and glass another 1/2 hour or so to see if I can turn up anything else.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Found a small 4x4. Going to make my way around the mountain to get wind in my favor.