Travel insurance, u buying? Worth the cost?

Fdh

Lil-Rokslider
What say u? Had an unexpected surgery come up that really had me thinking about canceling a trip. Would have cost me a few thousand in lost deposit.

Rich M

WKR
Yes. It only takes one surgery or accident or death or your subirdinate at work has a meltdown and the insurance pays for itself many times over.

Travel insurance can also cover medical issues and lost luggage.

axeforce6

WKR
I do it everytime. Too many times of cheapening out and not buying it. Than needing it. It saved me on my spring turkey hunt in Wyoming this year. They had a blizzard in the black hills. The lady messaged me and said we couldn’t get to our cabin the day before we flew out. So she refunded me but if I didn’t have insurance the airline would have probably gave me a credit back, but the insurance paid me back. It’s a necessary tax now.

If you’re a USAA member they have the best travel insurance deals I could find. I bought insurance for a Montana trip with family for like 150 bucks two years ago. My youngest had a medical emergency that included a medivac and 6 day stay in PICU. We owed $8k in med bills after health insurance and the travel insurance covered it. They also covered the extra plane ticket and rental car costs. I shoukd have paid for the extra coverage to cover our hotels and meals as that ended up being $1k. But long atory short. If your trip is over $500 i personally would buy it.

It’s kind of trip dependent for me, just bought it for a trip to Hawaii, and it’s got a covid clause, sounds like previously some people got caught without on that one.
I’ll have to check into the USAA policy’s, I’m always skeptical of the 3rd party stuff you get offered on travel sites.

No. Better to save the insurance money and use it for more trips. Odds are you won't need it. Thats what the insurance company is betting on, so should you.

dtrkyman

WKR
Been on hundreds of trips, never even thought of it.

Something major would have to happen I guess to cost me anything if I would have paid for insurance on all those trips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started a few years ago with an Alaskan vacation. Several non refundable items so bought the insurance. . . Did again with a Disney world trip for the family.

Couple hundred dollars gives me piece of mind. I got paid a basically my premium back on our Disney world trip because our flight home was delayed more than 4 hours, so it doesn't have to be a huge thing with some policies to get value out of it!

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, 100%, If you book enough hunts, eventually something will happen. Now one could argue over time that the cost for insurance might not pay itself off or they would not be in business, Makes sense. However, I’d rather spend $500 per occurrence over years than lose a bunch at once.

We had to use the policy three times.

Once when we canceled the trip when my mom hurt herself.

One of our companions wife had an event that required a week long hospital stay. Saved the day.

Another friends wife fell down the stairs in Italy and broke her ankle severely. It covered the hospital and business class tickets back.

Insurance is like a seatbelt. Damn glad you have it when shit goes bad.

jayhawk

WKR
Insurance is one of those things where it’s not important until it’s the most important thing in the world. Buy it and have peace of mind.