Let's Talk Home & Auto Insurance Companies

CB4

WKR
I have used Progressive for the last 8 years. No accidents in 7 years and no claims on the home ever. 6 months ago they raised our auto cost by about the same increase you had, right around $260. I called and the only explination I got were our costs are going up and there are "more claims nationally". I said what about in the area I live in or how I drive. You are insuring me. They said there is nothing they could do an hung up. My policy is set to renew again and I as well want to shop around.

Use to own a business (still do, just now work for a road department), always shop for insurance every year or few years. Since my wife and I have been married 6 years, ive gone through 3 companies, my business has changed every year, so 4 different companies.

I don't remember the exact name of it, but you'll have to notify your agent now or request a release statement to shop for new insurance or get quotes. But get multiple quotes and compare them word for word.

Next to a politician, the next biggest scum of the earth is insurance. Only way to ever trust insurance companies is them being windchimes in a tree.
I’ve never let an insurance agent know I was shopping around, and certainly didn’t need their permission to do so.

Grumman

WKR
I had Erie for a few years, farm, auto, umbrella, and rental insurance while building a new house a couple miles down the road. Had the new house also insured through Erie. When we moved in and changed our address to the new house Erie said it broke our auto rate lock. The wife had one $2,500 auto claim while under Erie (only claim in 25 years). They took advantage of the address update to say that broke our rate lock even though the new address was an insured property through them and in the same zip code. Rates went up 3X then got a non-renewal letter a week later. I couldn’t believe it. We switched back to State Farm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
I’ve done some research and it really doesn’t pay to have full coverage insurance on a vehicle if you’re paying more than 10% of its value to insure it.

So, do your own vehicle valuation and then see what you’re paying.

180ls1

WKR
I’ve done some research and it really doesn’t pay to have full coverage insurance on a vehicle if you’re paying more than 10% of its value to insure it.

So, do your own vehicle valuation and then see what you’re paying.

Yeah, on paper, you only insure against what you cannot afford to lose/pay.

In "reality" people on certain lines of coverage prefer to pay more to cover this or that just because they sleep better at night with it.

Mosby

WKR
We use Amica. When we've had claims they have payed. Haven't had an issue or problem. I believe they are the oldest auto insurer in the US. No local agents....which personally I always found useless anyway.

Is Amica the cheapest? I don't know. Probably not. I stopped comparing them based on cost. I rate my insurance companies based on paying on claims. They have never refused a claim, so we keep using them. They also do well on the Consumer Reports surveys....which is how we found them 20+ years ago.

I used American Family, until they built a huge campus here in Madison and my rates went up. Switched to Allstate, who I've had for several years...never a claim.
My rates increased significantly this year, both home and auto. Agent said he doesn't set the rates and there was zero he could do.

mgray34

FNG
USAA. We had a hail storm, and did end up getting a new roof. They treated us very well and we didn't get dropped. Actually, every time I've dealt with them, they have been very helpful.

mgray34

FNG
We had Allstate about 20 years ago. They were terrible. Denied 2 auto claims (neither our fault) and then raised our homeowners rates by 50% due to "changes in the weather patterns in your area".