Trapping coyotes... any suggestions

Fawns are already dropping in central Florida. Iv found 6 fresh kills so far. Looking for advice on beginning to trap.(private property) Night hunts have been limited. Any trap advice would be great.

Personally if snares are legal, they work great on coyotes coming to and from a kill site, and if you can see trails. Other than that watch some YouTube videos on how to make a step down set.

Personally if snares are legal, they work great on coyotes coming to and from a kill site, and if you can see trails. Other than that watch some YouTube videos on how to make a step down set.

I’d snares are legal i alway catch way more with snares but a 1 3/4 or number 2 coilspring with a dirt hole set works as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There can be a lot that goes into coyotes trapping, they are not the easiest critter to catch, but you can certainly get after them. I would recommend finding one person and following their recommendations. You can find videos/articles saying to never do something and the next guy will say to always do that same thing. Get a good trap, (at least #2 sized) dig a dirt hole and bed it firmly, youll catch coyotes.

Step down set. I'll take a look. Thank you

There can be a lot that goes into coyotes trapping, they are not the easiest critter to catch, but you can certainly get after them. I would recommend finding one person and following their recommendations. You can find videos/articles saying to never do something and the next guy will say to always do that same thing. Get a good trap, (at least #2 sized) dig a dirt hole and bed it firmly, youll catch coyotes.
Just watched a few videos. Now I'm fired up. Time to get mad at some coyotes. Iv called in two so far during turkey Season. Just out of range for a tss. Seen a few more. Wish me luck

They are killing a ton of my KS deer each year. Planning on doing same as you there. Going to try Duke 650 traps with cable anchors. Dirt hole set and perhaps a straw bale set too.

The ranch I hunt Whitetails on, we have been shooting & trapping coyotes over 20 years as have the neighbors. We get dozens of them each year, and shoot them year around. I shoot 1 or 2 every year from my tree stands with my bow. There are just as many coyotes as there were 20 years ago.

They are killing a ton of my KS deer each year. Planning on doing same as you there. Going to try Duke 650 traps with cable anchors. Dirt hole set and perhaps a straw bale set too.
If you haven't bought them yet get 550's. The 650's are big, take a huge hole and tough to bed compared to the 550.

The most important thing with coyotes is to bed the trap correctly. It can't wobble or move no matter where you touch it.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Will give the 550s a try for sure. Have the anchors from some other trapping I've done and this is the year for coyotes.

Coon Creek Outdoors is a great YouTube channel to watch, he’s a good trapper and gives good instructional videos.
I agree with the 550’s, get some MB’s or Duke pros. The MB’s pan tension is set already, you will have to bend the dog on a Duke, but both solid traps.
My advice is to make your dirt holes or step downs and set another trap about 18” out from the trap in the set. I’ve had a lot of luck with smart coyotes trying to dig up a trap in the set with another trap.

Coon Creek Outdoors is a great YouTube channel to watch, he’s a good trapper and gives good instructional videos.
I agree with the 550’s, get some MB’s or Duke pros. The MB’s pan tension is set already, you will have to bend the dog on a Duke, but both solid traps.
My advice is to make your dirt holes or step downs and set another trap about 18” out from the trap in the set. I’ve had a lot of luck with smart coyotes trying to dig up a trap in the set with another trap.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'll check out the YouTube channel

Professionally speaking, find a very experienced mentor if you’re going to try and learn to trap/snare coyotes once fawns start hitting the ground. For someone that is inexperienced, it would be very easy to do more harm than good at that point in the year, and may ultimately turn you off to trapping.

For a beginner, take the advice mentioned by others and get some MB550s to start. Solid coyote trap that beds well, and 90+% of adult deer will still pull out of. Once fawns are on the ground, I’d advise only using step-down sets until you get a fair amount of experience under your belt to prevent unintentionally capturing fawns.

I would not advise attempting to set trail snares, until you learn how to set them in a way to prevent unintentional deer capture. Breakaways are essential, but not 100% effective, especially if you don’t understand how cable length, entanglement, etc. can affect their efficacy…. Fence snares (crawl-unders) are a much safer bet; however be sure to analyze sign before setting as fawns will generally go under the fence if the hole is large enough. Be sure to analyze sign before setting.

Please understand, I’m not trying to deter you in any way; rather just wanted to provide some advice to make sure you end up achieving the desired results and a positive experience. Honestly, we need more trappers! (Personally, I feel trapping should be approached in a similar fashion to teaching kids to handle/shoot firearms. Having a good mentor to instruct you will ensure that you have a very positive experience. If you can’t find a mentor, there are a few good books/dvds, etc. that can help shorten the learning curve).

Professionally speaking, find a very experienced mentor if you’re going to try and learn to trap/snare coyotes once fawns start hitting the ground. For someone that is inexperienced, it would be very easy to do more harm than good at that point in the year, and may ultimately turn you off to trapping.

For a beginner, take the advice mentioned by others and get some MB550s to start. Solid coyote trap that beds well, and 90+% of adult deer will still pull out of. Once fawns are on the ground, I’d advise only using step-down sets until you get a fair amount of experience under your belt to prevent unintentionally capturing fawns.

I would not advise attempting to set trail snares, until you learn how to set them in a way to prevent unintentional deer capture. Breakaways are essential, but not 100% effective, especially if you don’t understand how cable length, entanglement, etc. can affect their efficacy…. Fence snares (crawl-unders) are a much safer bet; however be sure to analyze sign before setting as fawns will generally go under the fence if the hole is large enough. Be sure to analyze sign before setting.

Please understand, I’m not trying to deter you in any way; rather just wanted to provide some advice to make sure you end up achieving the desired results and a positive experience. Honestly, we need more trappers! (Personally, I feel trapping should be approached in a similar fashion to teaching kids to handle/shoot firearms. Having a good mentor to instruct you will ensure that you have a very positive experience. If you can’t find a mentor, there are a few good books/dvds, etc. that can help shorten the learning curve).
Great point. This is great advice. Thank you.

I feel snares are easier for a beginner but catching canine in a foothold is much more enjoyable. A snare can get lucky, a foothold not so much...

When making trap sets try to mix it up. meaning different looking sets and different smells . If they all look and smell the same coyotes will "learn " quick.

Watch everything you can on u tube and as suggested above try to find a local trapper to show you the ropes . Successfully and consistently catching coyotes is not as easy as it appears. Be cognizant of where you're trapping relative to hunting and house dogs , if they are around you will catch them .

Coyotes are easier to catch in foothold traps December-March in my experience. The best nights to catch are on big weather changes.

Coyotes are easier to catch in foothold traps December-March in my experience. The best nights to catch are on big weather changes.
What area are you from?

Any tips on setting in sandy loam soil, medium to high moisture. Our property consists of oak heads and improved pasture. Thick palmetto clumps and a few cypress heads. All 5 strand wire, so, no visual dig outs under fence, just occasional tracks in known deer trails.

Back