Traditional Vs Floorless shelter

I’ve been seeing a lot of people using the floorless shelters recently. I’m from southeast Alaska and have always used traditional 2-3p tents whether hunting alone or sharing with a partner.

Just curious on which type of shelter y’all prefer and why.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I use a traditional floorless.... Well floorless did come first.

Ok, not like that matters, just poking fun. I lived in Ketchikan for 2 years and used floorless, us floorless on the Kenai and in the Chugach now. No desire to go back to a floored shelter.

BBob

WKR
Here's some ides that have been discussed:

*zap*

WKR
you can put a nest in any floorless shelter so you can have it both ways. If the shelter is big enough you can nest 1/2 and have the convenience of floorless and a floor...snakes can get in and snuggle with you in a floorless...which is always exciting but they can lay under the floored tent next to the vestibule also..snakes can be a problem, plenty of the bad kind around here.

Last edited:

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve stayed in a buddies floorless teepee several times in environments from high desert to the soaked PNW. Gotta say, it’s not for me. As Zap said, might be a good option if you are willing to add some accessories to it. For me, I’ll stick to my standard 2P backpacking tent.

-RadDad

Bluesheep

FNG
Ugggghhhhh yeah there are +/- for sure. You have to find a "Goldilocks area" if you are hunting the alpine (high up with drinking water and wood to burn if you have a stove) but you didn't really state that would be the reason to go with a floor less, but it's kind of implied as one of the big reasons to go that way.

Hard days are rain/snow/socked in fog days and having a stove in there can make an incredible difference but as far as shelter performance goes I don't think the vest floorless is incredibly better than something with a floor unless the wood burner is involved.

The height it definitely an advantage of the floor less tipi design, we have seen some heavy winds in out tipis, they hold up

OP
dylanphelps
I use a traditional floorless.... Well floorless did come first.

Ok, not like that matters, just poking fun. I lived in Ketchikan for 2 years and used floorless, us floorless on the Kenai and in the Chugach now. No desire to go back to a floored shelter.

The rain never bothered you with the floorless?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The rain never bothered you with the floorless?
No, some of this will be preference. However, to me, I like not having to take muddy boots off at the door. I like (if breaking camp the next day) being able to pee without going out in the rain without carrying a bottle for that purpose. I like not having condensation collect on the floor, I use an ultralight bivy to keep my sleep system off the ground and protect it from condensation. I also like being able to sit up even in my 12 ounce, one man shelter.

A floored shelter can certainly be cozier in the rain, but I'm normally wet already and I don't carry a change of clothes, so that advantage is out. If leaving the floorless set up for several days, the ground under it usually dries out pretty quick.

A floorless is more forgiving of crappy ground. It is less forgiving of pitch locations with standing water. I have an easier time pitching in locations that will drain themselves well though and it has not been an issue for me.

The stove is nice in theory, but I rarely use it and don't usually pack it. This is because I tend to break camp every morning. If staying it one location it because more attractive.

Floorless are also great for dogs and young kids. With kids, a half nest can be nice for the best of both (otherwise I do not use a nest).

I like a floorless just as a shelter. The water thing has never been an issue. When's the last time you picked up your tent and it was wet underneath? Camping spots in Alaska are typically on tundra or river bottom, both of which are very well-drained.

I rarely use the stove in mine. As Marbles stated, the stove is nice in theory, but I've had it with on trips in the Chugach and Kodiak where you would've needed a kiln to make any wood dry enough to burn within 7 days. Probably even worse where you are.

Things I can do (or do easier) in my big floorless shelter:

Walk in and out.
Stand up to get dressed.
Stand up to use a pee bottle at 3 am.
Walk in with boots on.
Burn a woodstove.
Prepare and eat meals.
Hang and dry clothes.
Sit in a chair to eat or relax.