Toughest, Softshell Type Hunting Pants

Jakerex

WKR
What options are out there for hunting pants that are comfortable, breathable, have good stretch fabric, and can take some green briers and jaggers when encountered?

I don’t want a full on “upland brush pant”. I don’t expect what I’m looking for to fully protect me from busting through a brier patch, but to help out decently when green briers and similar are encountered.

Tough to explain but I think you guys get what I’m saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H80Hunter

WKR
I haven't put them through the ringer but my first lite sawbucks seem pretty close to what you're asking about.

xcutter

WKR
I've had the best luck with First Lite Corrugate Guide Pants. Hard to beat the original Sitka Ascent pants I have also. Sitka changed the material on the newer ones.

TSAMP

WKR
Ill second sawbucks. Although they fit like Mc Hammer pants until I had them brought in.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Ill second sawbucks. Although they fit like Mc Hammer pants until I had them brought in.

I haven’t heard that name in about 25 years! You talking baggy, big leg opening, big waist?
Looking for one pant for the majority of PA hunting......unless I know I’ll be bustin heavy brush.

TSAMP

WKR
Haha. Like huge in thigh/seat area. Im 5 9 170 and admittedly have no ass. So it may just be me.

GSPMich

FNG
Haha. Like huge in thigh/seat area. Im 5 9 170 and admittedly have no ass. So it may just be me.

It’s not just you, mine fit the same way. I like the pants for the functionality but the fit is honestly a bit disappointing. Feels like they’re built for a guy with the ass and thighs of an NFL offensive tackle and the calves of a high school wide receiver.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Kryptek Altitude Bora pants tick all the boxes for the OP.

I don’t think I could handle it mentally walking through green briers in pants that costs a couple hundred dollars!

I own the bora jacket and the tora pants. As a well as other kryptek stuff and love it. One of the reasons I’m here asking this question is because of a hunt last week where I ended up in greenbriers with my tora pants and was pretty sure they would be torn to shreds, so I aborted the mission. I don’t want to abort mission due to gear. So, if I can find a quality pant that doesn’t cost a fortune.....say sub $200, that can stand up to most everything I can throw at it, that would be great

First light sawbuck seems to be the direction I’m thinking, except the baggy issue.

Anyone have experience with the Sitka hanger pants? Or does Sitka make anything tougher?

How about the orvis upland softshell pants? https://m.orvis.com/product/upland...MIvImM3J3B7QIVGW-GCh3yugRTEAUYAiABEgKb8PD_BwE

akrdkill

WKR
I have 2 pr sawbucks...great abrasion resistance but hate the fit...the leg openings seem to cause a lot of the fit probs also with the monster thighs....not sure why its so hard to get a good fitting pant for an avg build & esp at the $$$...lately I've gone to the Eddie baur pro work pants...come in a multitude of sizes, plenty stretch & while maybe not quite as abrasive resistant I can get 2 pro to 1 of other

LivinGood

FNG
Just picked up a pair of the Kuiu Katanas when they were on sale. Haven't put them to the test yet but seem like the perfect pant. Lighter then the attacks but feel more durable and a little more stretch. Fit is awesome.

Just picked up a pair of the Kuiu Katanas when they were on sale. Haven't put them to the test yet but seem like the perfect pant. Lighter then the attacks but feel more durable and a little more stretch. Fit is awesome.
I have the Attacks, but I'm honestly a bit disappointed with them. Who needs a 34" inseam? I also don't think the breathability is as good as it should be for as water-resistant as they are not. The hip vents mostly make up for that, but I still pull my phone out with visible water on it from sweat.
Are the Kutanas more breathable and water-resistant? And are the Kutanas less prone to get knitted by briars?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CAD73

FNG
For colder weather conditions, I've been really happy with the Kuiu axis pants. Tough, durable, highly water resistant, and quiet. They're kind of a do it all pant. But I wouldn't wear them on days of 55+ degrees unless I was doing a lot of sitting.

LivinGood

FNG
I have the Attacks, but I'm honestly a bit disappointed with them. Who needs a 34" inseam? I also don't think the breathability is as good as it should be for as water-resistant as they are not. The hip vents mostly make up for that, but I still pull my phone out with visible water on it from sweat.
Are the Kutanas more breathable and water-resistant? And are the Kutanas less prone to get knitted by briars?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I haven't got a chance to test the pants yet but they are thinner then the attacks so should breath a bit better and feel like they will shed water pretty good unless its a heavy rain. Don't have briars in AK so not sure how they'll stand up to those but the material seems very tough. They fit a bit more slim then the attacks so the 34" inseam is perfect and I normally wear a 32"

adamm88

WKR
Sitka timberlines, if crawling around you have some protection with the waterproof knees

tracker12

WKR
Picked up the Timberlines this year and really like them. Replaced an old pair of Sitka 90%.

Skre Hardscrabbles are very nice pants. They fit very well, nice athletic cut. I havent really been through briars with them, but I expect they would do a pretty decent job for the occasional encounter.