Best athletic fit hunting pant for slim people?

Hi All,

Long time peruser first time user. Thought it’s about time to jump in and start contributing.
Im trying to figure out the best athletic fit hunting pant for skinny people. I’ve read lots of threads on hunting pants but few give sizes when describing the fit. Looking for people experiences as ive almost had it with buying and returning.

It seems when they say relaxed fit-they mean big, regular fit-not quite as big but still big, improved fit-we made it bigger…..

I measure:

6’4” tall,
196 lbs
36” true waist (fit size 34 pant in most brands-why they don’t size true is beyond me???)
34” inseam is good, 35” is better
43” out seam to top of belt line
40” hips (no a$&)
22” thigh
14” calf
So I need a pant that comes in a tall size. Im basically a race horse.

I would happily just keep buying and returning but this stuff is so blasted expensive it could take me two years to try them all only to return them and wait for the funds to come back, less shipping 🙄🤪

Would love feedback from everyone if ya’ll be so kind? Also would love if people could mention their sizes rather than just (x pants are form fitter for me……🤦‍♂️😂)

Don’t get me wrong, I know a solution, a gym membership and do nothing but leg days 💪🦵 😂. I’m just not that guy though, what I have works great, even with 100+ pounds on the back.
Brands I’ve thought of/tried/still unsure of.
-Stone glacier, great quality and features but a bit baggy (have not tried the lite version)
-Kuiu attack, the best so far
-Sitka, intercept, timberline, thunderhead, (all slightly baggy) have not tried mountain pants
-Skre, quality was nice but just to baggy
-Eddie Bauer, all seem loose, nice length though as they do lots of tall sizing. Solid coulds only obviously.
-Fjallraven Ked trousers, have not tried
-Barney’s Alaska PA 18, have not tried, hear great things
-first lite, have not tried but they look a bit baggy.
-punma, have not tried
-kryptek, have not tried
-kings, have not tried looks baggy
-under armour, only fitted pair they have is in wemons
-Columbia, hunting pant doesn’t come in a tall, solid colours I haven’t tried
-OR pants, I have not tried but look to be made for tall slim folks.

Did I miss any???

Thanks I advance for the input.

wnelson14

WKR
Kings camo seemed pretty slim, I tried like 3 different models, in a 34 which I normally am, and they were all two tight. First lite foundry’s are perfect not to baggy but not skinny jeans.
Also similar to Kings where Eberlestock pants which I returned.

Also look at these, picture looks like they are slim

Northpark

WKR
Kuiu is probably the slimmest fit I know of in the hunting specific department. 5.11 has slim fit that are in fact slim. They come in solid colors.

OP
NorthernRed
Kings camo seemed pretty slim, I tried like 3 different models, in a 34 which I normally am, and they were all two tight. First lite foundry’s are perfect not to baggy but not skinny jeans.
Also similar to Kings where Eberlestock pants which I returned.

Also look at these, picture looks like they are slim
Nice. Thanks Nelson. I’ll take a look at them. By chance what are your measurements that ended up being tight?

OP
NorthernRed
These do sound fitting. Thanks. By the website I would be a 38 which has a 35” inseam. Nice and long!

Has solid colours with leg vents with mesh to stop debris. That’s a great feature. I have worn pants with leg vents before that didn’t have mesh and the bug bits and debris were pretty annoying during a wet elk season in BC.

Is there somewhere I can get more measurements on the fit? Thigh, calf, boot?

Thanks Forloh!

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I’m pretty slim and I really like Prana stretch Zion - everyone seems to hate the new version, so I’d avoid the Zion 2.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Fjallraven 34 Long. Vidda pro ventilated is pretty much all I use now. That’s the size I wear as well. 6’2” and 185 lbs.

OP
NorthernRed
Fjallraven 34 Long. Vidda pro ventilated is pretty much all I use now. That’s the size I wear as well. 6’2” and 185 lbs.
Hear great things about Fjallraven. Thanks.

I think that may be my next try and then maybe try Forloh.

Why do you use Vidda over the Keb?

OP
NorthernRed
I’m pretty slim and I really like Prana stretch Zion - everyone seems to hate the new version, so I’d avoid the Zion 2.
Thanks. That’s a a new one to me. It seem a lot of people love the old ones. The Zion 2 isn’t that popular and they brought back the Zion 1 but apparently the fabric isn’t the same and sizing has been somewhat inconsistent.

I notice they make a slim fit Zion which look perfect for a guy like me. Reviews are a little concerning though. Fabric and sizing issues again.

Crazy how not expensive they are though. Imagine if they had thigh zip vents and a slight boot cut. Simple, tough, cheap and lightweight. Not too sure how they hold up with a little brush.

Ive been targeting norther bc sheep and elk so a little extra thickness never goes missed as it can get cool at times. I deal with heat easy but chill off really quick. Skinny guy problem I guess. Also growing up in Australia conductions a guy to deal with heat pretty well. 10 days sheep hunting in august and I only took my thermal layer off twice. Needs to hit the 80’s/28c before I even get warm.

Thanks for the info. If they change the fabric I think I’ll buy some regardless. Can’t go wrong with the price

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kuiu and they have a tall option in most of their pants. Kings preacher pants are very similar cut also two lengths but I can’t remember what the measurements are. We’re really close in measurements.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. That’s a a new one to me. It seem a lot of people love the old ones. The Zion 2 isn’t that popular and they brought back the Zion 1 but apparently the fabric isn’t the same and sizing has been somewhat inconsistent.

I notice they make a slim fit Zion which look perfect for a guy like me. Reviews are a little concerning though. Fabric and sizing issues again.

Crazy how not expensive they are though. Imagine if they had thigh zip vents and a slight boot cut. Simple, tough, cheap and lightweight. Not too sure how they hold up with a little brush.

Ive been targeting norther bc sheep and elk so a little extra thickness never goes missed as it can get cool at times. I deal with heat easy but chill off really quick. Skinny guy problem I guess. Also growing up in Australia conductions a guy to deal with heat pretty well. 10 days sheep hunting in august and I only took my thermal layer off twice. Needs to hit the 80’s/28c before I even get warm.

Thanks for the info. If they change the fabric I think I’ll buy some regardless. Can’t go wrong with the price
I just buy them used on Ebay. I've never paid more than $35 for a pair. I run cold too. I just use puffy pants a lot...

I think the sizing depends on the color. I have 3 pairs, all in 32x32. The gray and green fit similar and a tan pair is a little baggier than the other 2. My wife has a few pairs and has had similar experiences with colors fitting a little different. If they fit a little tight just wear them half a day and they'll stretch out enough to be comfortable.

I do have a pair of Kryptek Dalibor pants. Definitely NOT a slim fit, functionally the pants are fine but they are just too baggy for me.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
These do sound fitting. Thanks. By the website I would be a 38 which has a 35” inseam. Nice and long!

Has solid colours with leg vents with mesh to stop debris. That’s a great feature. I have worn pants with leg vents before that didn’t have mesh and the bug bits and debris were pretty annoying during a wet elk season in BC.

Is there somewhere I can get more measurements on the fit? Thigh, calf, boot?

Thanks Forloh!
[email protected]

OP
NorthernRed
A few of these is a much better solution than new pants!
Bah ha ha ha. I’m more of a straight up bacon guy. Eat a pound in a sitting for breakfast. Why open a pack if your not cooking it all??? 🤷‍♂️

Believe you me. I’ve tried to pack on weight. I’m one of those guys that can eat whatever whenever and I fluctuate 5lbs. Even after 10days and 150+k of mountain hiking I lost exactly 2lbs. 🙄

Even went to the gym for a while and started to put on a muscle but as soon as I stop going for any longer than a week it drops right off and it’s back to my normal self. Gyms are a commitment and good for all the guys who love em and have time. I’ve given up and just accepted I’m just the way I am.

Maybe a thermal layer then a layer of bubble wrap would be the best. Fills the void in the baggy cloths and would keeps the stalks challenging. 😂

Still have a few to try yet by the sounds of things. Another option I guess would be to find clothing with great features and fabric and see if I can tailor it in to fit. Hear a few guys have done this before.

The idea of a slightly stretchy crotch in the vidda sounds good. I use to wear a bunch of carhartts but always had problems with blowing out the crotch.

RS3579

WKR
I’ve been wearing the Wrangler Men's and Big Men's Outdoor Stretch Zip Cargo Pant. They are lightweight and very comfortable.

KUIU kutana will fit a little slimmer in the legs than the attacks and are a little lighter weight material.
KUIU measure your waist with a soft tape held as tight as you want the pant to fit. Order that size or round up do not go down if in between. My waist measures 35” and I wear a 34” waist in all KUIU pants, guides or later season pants have a little more room in the waist for layers.
Prana Zion are slimmer as well but I don’t like the material and feel like they don’t breath well.
SG lites fit the same as regular and are appropriate for big legs.
Surprised SKRE hardscrabble didn’t work because they are tight in the hips, and high in the crotch but inseam would be an issue.
Maybe Kryptek alios, they really taper down at the calf but the Valhalla is like a bell bottom.
Bottom line at a 36” waist you are going to have some room, drop a waist size and things will fit better.