Top Tips for a new hunter

rayporter

WKR
you cant kill one on the couch. Hit the woods
make it fun, stalk small game a lot, as a kid i would stalk sparrows and frogs and anything Else.

learn an area. Learn it well. Know where the oaks are. The hickory, the springs and thickets, etc.
have fun, go for the experience, not just the kill.

OP
G
OP, what state are you in? So many places have field to fork or mentorship programs through either the fish and wildlife dept, 4h for kids or a rod and gun club, or through a conservation group like nda, nwtf, bha or the like. All the questions you asked are overhwhelming when new, but it only takes a short time in the field with someone who has something of a clue to get a better handle on a lot of it. If there is any way, I would heartily recommend asking to tag along scouting with a hunter thats a friend or colleague. If access or sharing their secret spots is a problem for them, you might just ask them to come with you to some local public land and have them scout with you—that can answer a lot of the questions and give you a good starting point to build off of.

I’ll definitely look into this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OKhunt62

FNG
Like others have said, get out and make some mistakes. There are lots of ways to be successful. Find what you enjoy and refine that. The one mistake I made when I first started was I hung just one stand and sat that stand every time I hunted. I saw some deer but didn’t learn much. Don’t be afraid of making a mistake, that’s how we’ve all gotten better.

Also shoot what makes you happy. There can be self imposed pressure to shoot certain age class or deer of a certain score. Don’t worry about that unless you want to.

There are a lot of unrealistic expectations of success in YouTube videos and such. Be careful who you learn from. In addition, there are some well-known hunters on YouTube I would never hunt with. There is one video series I refuse to watch due to taking too long of shots (800+ yards), multiple maiming follow up shots, and disrespectful treatment of the body in celebration (riding the body, stupid poses, etc).

How to find game is important. But so is proper meat care, knowing how to recognize property boundaries, knowing when not to shoot and let it walk.

You have yet to reply where you will be hunting and what game you are interested in. That info makes a big difference.
Going ptarmigan hunting in the wintertime in the snowy mountains?
Going black bear hunting in the spring?
Going squirrel hunting with dogs?
All different. I wouldn’t recommend a newbie go black bear hunting by themselves. Especially over bait. Ptarmigan maybe ok if you are an experienced mountaineer and prepared for avalanches. Squirrel is fine by yourself.

BadEarth

Lil-Rokslider
Get a 22 and spend some time plinking. Cans, targets, squirrels, rabbits, etc. most of us grew up shooting anything and everything from a young age and don’t appreciate how much that does for a hunter. How to work a gun, load, unload, getting on target, cycling a rifle, learning how to safely use a gun day in and day out. Now with big game that’s all second nature. I’ve watched plenty of new hunters struggle to find a deer in the scope, struggle to get a follow up show, deal with a jam, etc. plinking is a ton of fun and hammers home everything you learn in hunter safety. Learn how to effectively use a rifle and it’ll go a long way in the field. Especially when your heart is beating like a phone book in a dryer with a buck coming by. Good luck this year you will be hooked for life!

Macintosh

WKR
…My #1 piece of advice: learn how to just kill DEER first. Any deer. Don’t let the internet flexes of dudes posting monsters scare you off from just learning how to kill deer. Don’t feel bad if you shoot a fork horn. In the process of learning how to kill any deer, you’ll learn how deer use terrain, cover, what they like to eat, what they do in the wind, etc. Then you learn how to make the shot happen - there’s more that goes into it than just pulling a trigger or letting an arrow fly. Once you’re comfortable killing deer and have some under your belt, then you can start being pickier. Or don’t. Your tags, your hunt.
This needs said again. 150%.

OP
G
There are a lot of unrealistic expectations of success in YouTube videos and such. Be careful who you learn from. In addition, there are some well-known hunters on YouTube I would never hunt with. There is one video series I refuse to watch due to taking too long of shots (800+ yards), multiple maiming follow up shots, and disrespectful treatment of the body in celebration (riding the body, stupid poses, etc).

How to find game is important. But so is proper meat care, knowing how to recognize property boundaries, knowing when not to shoot and let it walk.

You have yet to reply where you will be hunting and what game you are interested in. That info makes a big difference.
All different. I wouldn’t recommend a newbie go black bear hunting by themselves. Especially over bait. Ptarmigan maybe ok if you are an experienced mountaineer and prepared for avalanches. Squirrel is fine by yourself.

I will be in KY and focusing on white tail and smaller game

rayporter

WKR

Tou tube can hurt you a lot

Rich M

WKR
For now - go and explore the area you want to hunt next year. See where the deer are hanging and where you actually see them. That's gonna be key when you hunt - don't hunt where you think the deer should be, hunt where you know the deer are.

Have fun - hunt aggressive, no fun unless you spook one every now and again.

mtnvol1

FNG
I was in the same boat when I started. Went squirrel hunting some with my grandfather, but he never deer hunted, so everything I learned was talking to regular deer hunters, and by going on my own and learning. Study maps (onX, Google maps, hillmap.com, state hunting guides, etc...). Talk to locals. Complete your hunter safety if you are required to. Keep your gear simple, and build/upgrade as you go. BE PATIENT and understand that you will not harvest every trip out. We grew up hunting and not seeing but maybe one or two deer all season. With the internet and all the info there is, don't try to take it all in at once. It can be overwhelming. Good luck

bvan5768

FNG
I am really wanting to get into this sport for many reasons. As you guys know there is a lot to go into this to be a proficient hunter. I didn’t have any one to show me anything growing up and while I have some common sense about the sport, it’s easy to get overwhelmed about the true basics. For example Public land scouting, what to look for. How to pick a spot for the best chance. There’s just a lot and I want to make the most of my time and learn as much as I can. If you have any channels or books that would help that would also be nice. Any tips appreciated. Thank you all.

Keep it simple. Spend as much time outdoors as you can. Comparison is the thief of joy.

Google is your friend. Google and read and then go try to do what you read about. You’ll learn a lot. Don’t be too obsessed with success. Remember you’re doing this for fun. So have fun doing it. Read outdoor life field and stream and whatever other outdoor magazines you can fine.

I noticed in one of your other posts you were interested in bow hunting. Rifle hunting is definitely easier. In the sense that it’s not easy to get within bow range of big game animals for the most part. So just that one thing makes bowhunting harder in my opinion. you need kind of all the same gear except bow versus rifle. You can set yourself up with a serviceable rifle/scope combo for less than 500 bucks. I’m gonna recommend you start with rifle hunting and then progressed a bow hunting when you get good at it.

Wolfshead

FNG
I am really wanting to get into this sport for many reasons. As you guys know there is a lot to go into this to be a proficient hunter. I didn’t have any one to show me anything growing up and while I have some common sense about the sport, it’s easy to get overwhelmed about the true basics. For example Public land scouting, what to look for. How to pick a spot for the best chance. There’s just a lot and I want to make the most of my time and learn as much as I can. If you have any channels or books that would help that would also be nice. Any tips appreciated. Thank you all.

Deer hunting is a great thing to get into.
I’m 63 and I’ve only been hunting 10 years. I got into hunting very late and came from a family that didn’t Hunt while I was growing up. My Brother is an avid hunter who‘s close friend got him into hunting.
I had two Brother In-laws (we recently lost one) who have been my mentors and have helped a great deal in the learning process, so I’ve been lucky there.
there is a forum called the hunting beast http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/
there are a lot of good hunters on there with a lot of great information.
Southern Outdoorsman podcast is also a very good one to listen to, I’ve learned a lot from that podcast and being from the northeast it really does apply in the north as well as in the south.
Brad Herndon’s book is very good I would also recommend that.
Before the echo, November warrior outdoors,Corey Meyer-relentless sportsman are good YouTube channels to start with too.
Since the seasons are closed or almost closed, I would start planning to scout. Yes now is the time to start for next season.
For public land I would suggest that you start looking at any clear cuts and water. Streams, brooks, cricks, and walk them looking for trails and other sign.
Follow the trails and find where they go and the bedding, etc….
Scouting is a great way to get out into the woods and learn While not having the pressure of spooking deer.
I’m not sure how you intend to hunt. I personally am a meat hunter. I’ll hunt for Doe and Bucks wanting to fill the freezer. I’ve taken some decent Bucks, but if I only get a Doe or two I’m very happy.
Best of luck!

manitou1

WKR
My tip is grab your rifle and go hunting. Go out for a morning and afternoon. I started on my own with no advise or instruction. No internet back then.

You need a place to go, a way to kill the game your after and a way to deal with the game you kill. Break it down into these basic components and its not so overwhelming.

Going for a morning or day at a time will give you a chance to see what you need. You can learn how to hunt without turning it into a survival exercise And a need for tons of gear. One step at a time.
EXACTLY!!!
I killed my first buck at ten years old... by myself with no mentor.
Spend time with your quarry in their "living room" and they will teach you all you need to know.

Nothing replaces the experience of time spent outdoors. A mentor can help with some aspects, but isn't hunting about spending time in the great creation?

In this internet age it seems everybody just wants to go kill something to say they did it. To truly enjoy it, hunting is much more than that.

The gratification of challenging yourself, the reward for fooling an animal in their environment, the spectacle of creation waking up right before you in the early dawn hours... the sights, the smells, the sounds.

Get out there and enjoy it.

My worst day in the woods, was still better than my day not being in the woods. Sometimes I'll make a trek just to hangout and observe. I learn so much just picking a spot and just sitting and listening.

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
Like all these guys have said. Just get in the woods. Nothing comes close to real world experience. I've learned so much by messing up. Plenty of good podcasts and internet information to help with gear and such but there isn't anything else you can really do to learn. Get out there. Maybe someone here is near you and can be a hunting buddy.

I did and do a lot of reading. For whitetail, mapping trophy bucks, and precision bow hunting by the eberharts. Good places to start. Nothing beats boots on the ground. It has taken years of scouting and years of mistakes to really begin to learn. The learning and growing as a hunter and woodsman never stops for me.

BadEarth

Lil-Rokslider
“A hunt based solely on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be”

- Fred Bear

Don’t let anyone tell you what you should be shooting or down you for taking an animal. Shoot what is a trophy IN YOUR EYES. Some of my greatest memories were 12-15 years old hunting with my grandpa and the excitement I got shooting a doe or a spike. More excited than I am at 30 to shoot a nice buck. With social media it’s a competition and everyone feels like they have to shoot something worthy, something to post, bigger than the next guy. Main reason I deleted Facebook 5 years ago, I found myself addicted to posted and bragging more than hunting. I lost the real reason I got into the outdoors- time with family, friends, provide for my family, solitude, appreciation for life, etc. when I started hunting I’d go back to school saying I shot a buck and it was a 6 pointer! Now I hear what did it score? How wide? Let’s see pictures? Did it make book?

Different world out there, just get into hunting for the right reasons. Because as Fred bear also said…. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person.

Good luck out there, stay safe