Top Tips for a new hunter

I am really wanting to get into this sport for many reasons. As you guys know there is a lot to go into this to be a proficient hunter. I didn’t have any one to show me anything growing up and while I have some common sense about the sport, it’s easy to get overwhelmed about the true basics. For example Public land scouting, what to look for. How to pick a spot for the best chance. There’s just a lot and I want to make the most of my time and learn as much as I can. If you have any channels or books that would help that would also be nice. Any tips appreciated. Thank you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tip is grab your rifle and go hunting. Go out for a morning and afternoon. I started on my own with no advise or instruction. No internet back then.

You need a place to go, a way to kill the game your after and a way to deal with the game you kill. Break it down into these basic components and its not so overwhelming.

Going for a morning or day at a time will give you a chance to see what you need. You can learn how to hunt without turning it into a survival exercise And a need for tons of gear. One step at a time.

OP
G
My tip is grab your rifle and go hunting. Go out for a morning and afternoon. I started on my own with no advise or instruction. No internet back then.

You need a place to go, a way to kill the game your after and a way to deal with the game you kill. Break it down into these basic components and its not so overwhelming.

Going for a morning or day at a time will give you a chance to see what you need. You can learn how to hunt without turning it into a survival exercise And a need for tons of gear. One step at a time.

Thank you man. I’m starting to think that is truly the best way. Go in blind and figure it out, that sounds more fun anyway.

I am really wanting to get into this sport for many reasons. As you guys know there is a lot to go into this to be a proficient hunter. I didn’t have any one to show me anything growing up and while I have some common sense about the sport, it’s easy to get overwhelmed about the true basics. For example Public land scouting, what to look for. How to pick a spot for the best chance. There’s just a lot and I want to make the most of my time and learn as much as I can. If you have any channels or books that would help that would also be nice. Any tips appreciated. Thank you all.

This goes without saying, but make sure you first complete a hunter safety course in your state. These are required and will teach you a lot, especially around safe firearm handling, and provide a solid high level introduction. You can also ask/learn alot from the fish and game folks putting on the course and network with some off the attendees. Good luck and welcome to the sport!

Thank you man. I’m starting to think that is truly the best way. Go in blind and figure it out, that sounds more fun anyway.

You will make mistakes but you will refine your skills. A lot of how you go about this will be dependent on where you are located. Rifle, ammo, a decent knife and a way to keep it sharp are about as basic as it comes. A day pack for water, flashlight and other stuff you bring along is nice.

TaperPin

WKR
Find what learning style fits your personality - nothing wrong with just going out and doing it. You’re here, so this is a good place to answer questions that pop up.

Anytime you hunt something new, or the same animal in a much different place, there is no substitute for local knowledge - if in doubt do what the locals do. Whitetail hunting in the swampy areas is different from thick forest and different from Midwest farm country and is different from foothills of western states.

With many things in life, sometimes the idea is much different from actually doing it. No matter how much you read about a type of hunting, it’s something that just has to be done to be appreciated.

Don’t think the only time to learn about hunting is during hunting season - we all talk about scouting a lot, but it’s not just to figure out the lay of the land, but we’re always learning something new about the animals that helps during the season.

Yoder

WKR
Drive around and look for deer. Anywhere you have access to hunt. Look for them crossing the road or areas where they are feeding. If you see one crossing, try to figure out why. If it's early morning they could be heading towards bedding. In the evening, towards food. Scout both sides of the road and look for trails, droppings, scrapes and rubs. At least this way, you know there are deer in the area.

Here are some things that I find, make my life easier hunting. Not necessary but I highly recommend: Something to get in a tree. Climber, lock on stand, saddle whatever you like but it's way easier hunting out of a tree. Spot and stalk is about impossible where I hunt. GPS app for your phone. I've used Onx for years and it has absolutely made me a better hunter. It's great for e scouting and marking points of interest. I love looking back on data from previous years. There are some free options out there too. A couple cheap trail cams. If you think a spot looks good, the camera will show you really quickly if you are right or not. Always hunt the wind and be mindful of how you access a spot to hunt. I don't believe in any of the scent control products. I've tried a bunch and since I stopped using them and only hunt when the wind is good, I see way more deer. Scout a lot.

My favorite Youtube channels: The Hunting Beast, The Hunting Public and Catman Outdoors. Good book, Mapping Trophy Bucks by Brad Herndon

Hope this helps.

Where are you at, OP? There's quite a big difference in tactics depending on general area and local influence. The biggest thing is, as others have stated, don't wait until you know it all to go hunting because you never will. Just go and learn as you go, be ready to not kill anything but be in positions to get lucky. You'll start getting more opportunities to seal the deal the more time you put in and the better you get. Watch a few youtube videos on what to do with it once you've got one on the ground, whether you're quartering it there on the spot or gutting and dragging it out... have a plan. You never know when you get lucky your first time out.

My favorite Youtube channels: The Hunting Beast, The Hunting Public and Catman Outdoors. Good book, Mapping Trophy Bucks by Brad Herndon
I agree with these and make sure to watch The Hunting Public from the beginning a few years ago to now. It was interesting and fun watching these guys make a ton of mistakes early on and learn how to do things differently to increase their odds. I've also appreciated their real world approach to their videos vs. a lot of the shows that are heavily produced in a studio somewhere. Down to earth guys living their best life hunting.

OP
G
Drive around and look for deer. Anywhere you have access to hunt. Look for them crossing the road or areas where they are feeding. If you see one crossing, try to figure out why. If it's early morning they could be heading towards bedding. In the evening, towards food. Scout both sides of the road and look for trails, droppings, scrapes and rubs. At least this way, you know there are deer in the area.

Here are some things that I find, make my life easier hunting. Not necessary but I highly recommend: Something to get in a tree. Climber, lock on stand, saddle whatever you like but it's way easier hunting out of a tree. Spot and stalk is about impossible where I hunt. GPS app for your phone. I've used Onx for years and it has absolutely made me a better hunter. It's great for e scouting and marking points of interest. I love looking back on data from previous years. There are some free options out there too. A couple cheap trail cams. If you think a spot looks good, the camera will show you really quickly if you are right or not. Always hunt the wind and be mindful of how you access a spot to hunt. I don't believe in any of the scent control products. I've tried a bunch and since I stopped using them and only hunt when the wind is good, I see way more deer. Scout a lot.

Hope this helps.

These are great help. Thanks a lot man.

Lowedown

FNG
There is an OVER abundance of information available on the internet. Between youtube and forums such as this one you can find most all of the info you are looking for, and maybe even a mentor to help you out. Folks like Randy Newberg, the Born and Raised Outdoors crew, Corey Jacobsen, Meat Eater, the onXhunt crew, GoHung, and many others have put enough tips and tactics segments out there to keep you awake for years. Everything from how to think about hunting, to how to get tags, practice, and hunt in the field. These guys have done a great job of setting a positive example. Most of all please make sure you are proficient with your weapons and ability to field dress and care for the game you take.
Remember it's not only about that grip and grin photo to share on social media. It is about immersing yourself in God's creation while pushing yourself to attain the personal goal of ethically taking a living wild animal, and responsibly utilizing it to feed yourself and your family. You will grow through experiences so get in the woods! Welcome to hunting, be a good example!

Jbxl20

WKR
What species, state and weapon? I’m from PA strictly hunting whitetails here and surrounding states. Big difference in tactics than hunting in the west for elk, mule deer and antelope. Either way and just get out in the field and scout/hunt.

practice visualization on the range, imagine its all real, you only have 1 shot. this helps overcome target panic both archery and rifle imo

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
You're local fish and game folks should be a big help wherever you're hunting. When my buddy and I went moose hunting in AK we talked to them a lot and they gave us a VCR tape (1996-97 time frame) to watch on how to field dress a moose and quarter it up. We sat and watched it many times. We didn't have hardly a clue on moose behavior but that was the one of the best hunts I was ever on. I was blessed to shoot a cow moose on day five of our nine day hunt. We split it and ate the meat for two years. Not bad for two rookies. As others have already said, learn what you can, be safe and smart and enjoy and make adjustments as you go. Lots of quality help on this forum. As you learn, contribute back what worked and didn't work and why to help the next new hunter.

DO NOT get sucked into buying a ton of expensive stuff. Buy good stuff that is used, but not trashed. Try to find a mentor on here or somewhere people that know what they are doing hang out. Watch out for people that twill teach you the wrong way to do things though.

Learn every time you go out. Don't get disappointed when you get busted. Figure out what went wrong. Did they see you, get your wind, etc. Shoot the first thing that is legal. It takes putting animals down to learn things, like gutting and butchering. Keep it fun.

Macintosh

WKR
OP, what state are you in? So many places have field to fork or mentorship programs through either the fish and wildlife dept, 4h for kids or a rod and gun club, or through a conservation group like nda, nwtf, bha or the like. All the questions you asked are overhwhelming when new, but it only takes a short time in the field with someone who has something of a clue to get a better handle on a lot of it. If there is any way, I would heartily recommend asking to tag along scouting with a hunter thats a friend or colleague. If access or sharing their secret spots is a problem for them, you might just ask them to come with you to some local public land and have them scout with you—that can answer a lot of the questions and give you a good starting point to build off of.

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
I would start with bowhunting. Get a tree stand. Set it up on a field edge near where a deer trail comes out. Sit there, be still and watch. You'll learn about wind and how deer use it. You'll see deer, maybe not by you but it's still cool. Now that you are hunting you can dive into the deep with pinch points, bedding areas, decoys, rattling, etc. Try to learn more every time out.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
This is the podcast I recommend to anyone who asks me “where do I start?” Go all the way back and start with Episode 1: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/how-to-hunt-deer-sportsmens-empire/id1462431848

My #1 piece of advice: learn how to just kill DEER first. Any deer. Don’t let the internet flexes of dudes posting monsters scare you off from just learning how to kill deer. Don’t feel bad if you shoot a fork horn. In the process of learning how to kill any deer, you’ll learn how deer use terrain, cover, what they like to eat, what they do in the wind, etc. Then you learn how to make the shot happen - there’s more that goes into it than just pulling a trigger or letting an arrow fly. Once you’re comfortable killing deer and have some under your belt, then you can start being pickier. Or don’t. Your tags, your hunt.