Today I learned I don't know what a 300" bull is

S.Clancy

WKR
Am I the only one that thinks his score is pretty accurate? The main beams are not long, neither are the fronts (look at the comparison to the nose length).

That takes nothing away from the fact that is an awesome bull, P&Y !!!! True 300" bulls are BIG, and anything 330"+ is a shooter with literally almost any special tag.

I like mass. When you struggle to get your hands around the bases and between the 2nd and third points you have something. However when you study a lot of trophies you find the majority have tine length. Thats where the numbers add up.

If you have time to study genetic populations
You may find that the chance of a really big bull isn't genetically possible. I killed a couple in the 70s in the 350 range. The genetics of the population of western Montana / Idaho pan handle elk give you mass but short thirds and medium brow tines. My best has 63 inch beams but the spread is around 36. Now there is nothing ofvthat population left. Just fat wolves.

That's a nice bull. Take it as a gift. Don't let the numbers drive you. The chance of a better may not be in your future. Around my place they don't live past 5. I take what I am offered.

Laramie

WKR
The main beams are the giveaway. He is beautiful and a proportionate bull for his beams, making him look a lot bigger.

willy

FNG
Congrats on a great bull! It is one I'd be thrilled to put my tag on.

Thanks for sharing.

I think the only reason the ”score” would come into play for me on that bull would be on your mounting options. I wouldn’t hesitate for a second given the opportunity to release an arrow on that bull.

An OM showed me how to determine the intersecting lines to get tine length

This is just a rough example I did quick on a G4 tine.

View attachment 449894
That's a great call out and thank you. I've always measured from where the tine "joins" the main beam (north of your horizontal blue tape line) vs. the intersection. So in that case, I've been shorting my animals a few inches for years.

Geewhiz

WKR
It sure does drive me nutz when people talk smack about the size of a bull and throw around "300" like they are behind every tree. 300 inch bulls are not near as plentiful as instabook makes it seam like. In 9 out of 10 cases a 300" bull is a mature bull. I have been fortunate enough to take a few in that range and they act like they own the mountain as much as any 360" bull. A bull that size is not easy to come by, let alone with archery equipment. Congrats on a fine animal!

It sure does drive me nutz when people talk smack about the size of a bull and throw around "300" like they are behind every tree. 300 inch bulls are not near as plentiful as instabook makes it seam like. In 9 out of 10 cases a 300" bull is a mature bull. I have been fortunate enough to take a few in that range and they act like they own the mountain as much as any 360" bull. A bull that size is not easy to come by, let alone with archery equipment. Congrats on a fine animal!
Same as 150" whitetails in IA. ;)

I was thrilled my first bull was a 6x6. I thought the second would break 280 but he didn't.

I have a limited entry tag this year and I'm hoping for 300 but I wouldn't let that bull walk if I thought I could kill him cleanly. Awesome, beautiful bull, congratulations.

An OM showed me how to determine the intersecting lines to get tine length

This is just a rough example I did quick on a G4 tine.

View attachment 449894

I don't think that's right.

"To accurately calculate the length of each tine, measure along the outside of the tine from the tip to the place where the tine intersects the nearest edge of the main beam (not the center of the main beam or the outside edge of the main beam)."

Edited to add: @cnelk had it right, he just had the 4th turned the other way. He had the beans above the frank!

Last edited:
Absolutely FANTASTIC BULL! That is a "Once in a Lifetime" bull for most bowhunters.
Awesome Job. Who cares about numbers, Mature Archery Bull is the "candy" we all wish we had!

I don't think that's right.

"To accurately calculate the length of each tine, measure along the outside of the tine from the tip to the place where the tine intersects the nearest edge of the main beam (not the center of the main beam or the outside edge of the main beam)."

@cnelk is doing it right far as I can tell, but the perspective is a little funky so it threw me off originally. The royal is sticking off to the left and the main beam is straight up. I would probably shift the vertical string slightly left personally, but he's definitely following the intent of the measuring system.

S.Clancy

WKR
I was thrilled my first bull was a 6x6. I thought the second would break 280 but he didn't.

I have a limited entry tag this year and I'm hoping for 300 but I wouldn't let that bull walk if I thought I could kill him cleanly. Awesome, beautiful bull, congratulations.
Didn't you also kill a ~380" bull last year....that is a multiple lifetimes achievement