To upgrade or not upgrade?

sndmn11

WKR
As far as the 80lbs it is totally unnecessary, I know a few people that have gone that route and really regretted it, they shoot less, their form suffers from being over bowed, and due to these two things they have lost a lot of confidence in their bows.

I'd also add that they stand a better chance of having sub optimal arrow spine being close to the extreme. All of these things (can) lead to less than perfect arrow flight and a higher probability of on game terminal issues. It usually gets blamed on the broadhead or armor plated scapulas.

Like many have said I would stick with what you have. Minimal gain in short period. Good luck in Colorado

Reactions: Zac
Last year, I finally broke down and let my buddy talk me into getting started in archery hunting.

After going to our local archery shop, I shot everything they had and finally decided that I would start out with a mid range bow.
I wasn't sure if was going to enjoy it, or just do it to to help extend my hunting seasons.

Well after shooting all last summer, I decided that I actually loved it.
I try to shoot a min of 5 arrows a day after we finish working out.

I went into my shop to get my bow looked over, and make sure everything was tuned and ready this summer as we prep for our elk hunt this Sept.
While talking with one of the bow techs, he told me I might want to upgrade my bow before we head out to hunt.

I currently shoot a Hoyt Torrex XT, 70#, with a 28 draw length.
I shoot out to 80 yards, and group well. I haven't really tested out past 80 yet (as far as the range here allows for us to shoot)

While talking to the tech he had me go through the process again, and shoot all the bows.
I found myself really liking the VTM 34, and the Z1.

Main concern the tech had was talking about ATA, and having that 34 would help with longer shots in the mountains, while also just having a better overall bow.

I am picky in what I want as my long term bow. I don't want camos, and all my attachments are buckskin.

So they will have to order me a new bow, Hoyt said it will be anywhere from 2-4 weeks before my new bow would get here.

I love my XT, I feel very confident in it.

So, here are my questions-

But, is it worth upgrading to a VTM?
He also talked to me about the Ventum from last year if I was interested in that (I felt it was very familiar to the VTM.)

Is there a major difference from the VTM to Ventum?

Next, I pulled the 80# option they had, is it worth going 80#?
I feel as if I can, why not get the extra?

Is it worth waiting 2-4 weeks, getting my new bow and getting it setup with a month or so before we take off to Colorado?

My arrow setup is Axis 5mm 340 grain, with 75g inserts, and 100g Iron wills.
This sets me at 465g I believe after the shop had them finished for me.
not a very accomplished archer but if you are shooting good I wouldn't change anything until after your hunt.
I finished my archery season and am looking at changing myself but I wouldn't have wanted to do that 1-1.5 months before.
just my $.02

Reactions: Zac