When is it time to upgrade?

For what its worth, I just upgraded from a Hoyt Carbon Element RKT I bought new in 2013 to a Hoyt RX7. Overall I am happy with my decision to upgrade but a little disappointed in the speed. I was getting 258-260fps with a 476gr arrow setup at 28.5" draw and 65lbs. That same arrow, DL, and weight in the RX7 is also right at 260fps. Figured 10 years worth of evolution should have helped with speed but I was wrong. Dropped to a lighter setup and I am getting 271fps now out of the RX7 at 65lbs and 28.5" DL. The RX7 has less vibration in the hand and a slightly smoother draw cycle than the Carbon Element RKT but overall very similar in performance.

Wondering what your guys opinion is on when is it time to upgrade your bow. I used to be a buy a new bow every year or two guy but stopped that several years ago. I currently have a Mathews Halon 6 that I bought new in 2016. I shoot the bow well and really do like it, but with having a few bigger back country hunts planned the next couple years am wondering when it’s time to upgrade to something newer. I change out the strings every few years and check everything over frequently, but with the bow getting older there always that what if something breaks that worries me, not that it couldn’t happen with a newer bow. Just looking for your guys opinions
I like buying two to three new bows every year. Can’t say that any are light years better, but I love shiny new things so I do it. Usually pass a bow to a friend or family member each time.

That Halon was and is a great bow. You don’t sound like someone who gets new bows for the fun of it so I’d say to keep shooting her.

dan33

FNG
I had to upgrade unwillingly this year. Last week my cable started fraying all of a sudden. Was told it would be 2 weeks to get a new set of strings put on. Not ideal when deer season starts in 2.5. I snagged an elite exalt and I'm really digging it.