To upgrade or not upgrade?

linnebur6

FNG
Last year, I finally broke down and let my buddy talk me into getting started in archery hunting.

After going to our local archery shop, I shot everything they had and finally decided that I would start out with a mid range bow.
I wasn't sure if was going to enjoy it, or just do it to to help extend my hunting seasons.

Well after shooting all last summer, I decided that I actually loved it.
I try to shoot a min of 5 arrows a day after we finish working out.

I went into my shop to get my bow looked over, and make sure everything was tuned and ready this summer as we prep for our elk hunt this Sept.
While talking with one of the bow techs, he told me I might want to upgrade my bow before we head out to hunt.

I currently shoot a Hoyt Torrex XT, 70#, with a 28 draw length.
I shoot out to 80 yards, and group well. I haven't really tested out past 80 yet (as far as the range here allows for us to shoot)

While talking to the tech he had me go through the process again, and shoot all the bows.
I found myself really liking the VTM 34, and the Z1.

Main concern the tech had was talking about ATA, and having that 34 would help with longer shots in the mountains, while also just having a better overall bow.

I am picky in what I want as my long term bow. I don't want camos, and all my attachments are buckskin.

So they will have to order me a new bow, Hoyt said it will be anywhere from 2-4 weeks before my new bow would get here.

I love my XT, I feel very confident in it.

So, here are my questions-

But, is it worth upgrading to a VTM?
He also talked to me about the Ventum from last year if I was interested in that (I felt it was very familiar to the VTM.)

Is there a major difference from the VTM to Ventum?

Next, I pulled the 80# option they had, is it worth going 80#?
I feel as if I can, why not get the extra?

Is it worth waiting 2-4 weeks, getting my new bow and getting it setup with a month or so before we take off to Colorado?

My arrow setup is Axis 5mm 340 grain, with 75g inserts, and 100g Iron wills.
This sets me at 465g I believe after the shop had them finished for me.

Zac

WKR
All depends on your budget. You will see marginal gains with those other options. However you will probably need to upgrade your arrows to a stiffer spine with them as well. I would say some of it depends on the components you are running at the moment. As well as the rest of your gear, especially optics. If your running sub par optics, cheap boots, back pack etc. then your money well be better spent in those areas.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
You said you're shooting your bow well out to 80 yards and you're confident with it. Sounds like it'll be fine for the September hunt and the tech was just trying to sell you a bow. I would not change bows a month before a hunt, particularly as a newer archer. More experienced guys can get used to new equipment faster so that isn't a "rule" but if I were you I'd keep shooting the bow I already have.

OP
L

linnebur6

FNG
All depends on your budget. You will see marginal gains with those other options. However you will probably need to upgrade your arrows to a stiffer spine with them as well. I would say some of it depends on the components you are running at the moment. As well as the rest of your gear, especially optics. If your running sub par optics, cheap boots, back pack etc. then your money well be better spent in those areas.
Totally agree!

But, this will be my fourth season out West.
I have all my hiking, pack, and gear dialed in for our past hunts.
So, this year will be very minimal upgrades that will be needed!

Currently, I have the super lite quiver, Spott Hogg sight, QAD REST, Shrewed stabilizers to move over to a possible new bow.

I have it in the budget to upgrade (I hate spending money, so I try to save where I can)
But, I don't mind saving $1500 on a bare bow..
But, I do plan on my next bow last for 5-10 years before I decide to upgrade again.

My buddies all say to not upgrade, but once again, the look at the shiny new things pops up and gets me wanting something newer, and better.

I worry about time getting the new bow setup, I teach, so I have the summers off right now, which gives me a lot of time to go out and shoot.
But, waiting up to 4 weeks for a bow does worry me a bit.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
An upgrade would give you a spare bow. That is the best argument for upgrading.

Waiting will let you see next years bow and if you like it better.

If you have the money, and want to play with setting up a new bow and arrows, then do it. If you do not have it dialed in by hunting time, just use your old bow.

I wouldn't, especially this close to season. He is just trying to sell you something. Nothing wrong with that bow and a lot of folks shoot them. Personally I'd wait till after the season. Shoot, most of the new models drop in November timeframe so i'd wait till then to see if something floats your boat. FWIW, I typically go 5 to 10 years between new bows. Just me, but I'd stay away from 80, but I am getting older. Ive always been pretty strong and shot 70 and have had two instances in all the years where I couldn't get the bow drawn, either at all or quickly enough. Heck I went the other way and went back to 60.

*zap*

WKR
life is to short to deny yourself hunting gear upgrades that you can easily afford.

keep the old bow for a backup and to use hunting while you get used to the new bow.

sndmn11

WKR
But, is it worth upgrading to a VTM?
No, you like your bow, what will you genuinely gain from switching AWAY from a bow that you jive with?

Next, I pulled the 80# option they had, is it worth going 80#?
I feel as if I can, why not get the extra?
No
Is it worth waiting 2-4 weeks, getting my new bow and getting it setup with a month or so before we take off to Colorado?
Triple no

Keep shooting. It WOULD be worth taking that money you think you want to spend on a bow, and flying to Denver for lessons at RMSgear or some other high level coach to get YOU as good as you can be.

JStol5

WKR
I will agree with what someone above posted- having a backup bow is the most compelling reason to buy another one. I had a Mathews V3 and my cheap PSE starter bow. I bought an SS34, sold the cheapo, and my V3 is relegated to backup. It gives me a lot of peace of mind knowing that I have a great bow that I could rely on in a pinch if my primary failed.

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

If u upgrade go carbon, less weight and not cold. Don't need 80lbs. 420 grain is fine.

if you shoot anything well from the last 5 years and its quiet and kills, just stick with it. nothing has really changed tech and specs wise, just the marketing. save your money.

nphunter

WKR
You will see no gains from buying a new bow, backup bows are overrated, I use to keep one and ended up selling it because it never got shot or used. If your worried about damage during a trip buy a small portable press, a set of strings and learn to work on the bow.

Honestly, you could buy a really nice bow anywhere in the US for well under $1500 in an emergency, The most it will cost you is a few hours off of your hunt driving to town to pick it up.

That Torrex is a nice bow than almost any flagship bow from 5yrs ago, if you like it and it shoots well for you it would be foolish to sell it for something else. That bow could last you forever, to me it sounds like the shop is trying to upsell you and personally I would probably stop doing business with that shop. Anyone who says you need a new bow instead of a couple year old Torrex does not have your best interest in mind, they are just trying to make a buck.

As far as the 80lbs it is totally unnecessary, I know a few people that have gone that route and really regretted it, they shoot less, their form suffers from being over bowed, and due to these two things they have lost a lot of confidence in their bows.

Confidence is king when it comes to hunting, my hunting partner recently upgraded his 15yr old Hoyt Trykon to a newer carbon Hoyt. He had a ton of confidence with his old Trykon, and killed a pile of critters with it as well, since getting the new Hoyt he has missed a couple of great animals which IMO got in his head and he's constantly worried about his tune and his setup and just doesn't have the confidence he use to. If when you pull up to shoot and you are unsure of the shot you are much more likely to miss than if you pull up and know that animal is going to die. Sometimes something as silly as upgrading a bow can totally screw your mental game up.

OP
L

linnebur6

FNG
Thank you guys for all the input!

I agree with the being confident in what shoot, and that has been my biggest worry.
I have put tons of arrows through this bow, and feel confident every time I shoot it.

I do love it, but wasn't sure from an actual hunting stand point with performance if it was needed to change.

My next bow, I do want it to last me for the next 5+ years, so I don't want to rush getting something, setting it up, and hating it or losing that confidence is my biggest worry.

How many animals have you killed with your bow?????

No reason to change equipment unless its just not working for you OR you've killed at least 10 animals with it

OP
L

linnebur6

FNG
How many animals have you killed with your bow?????

No reason to change equipment unless its just not working for you OR you've killed at least 10 animals with it
Two, one opossum, and one squirrel while waiting for deer this past season! :ROFLMAO:

But, I haven't had a shot on any of the animals I was after during turkey, or deer season.

LFC911

WKR
I have been shooting an RX1 and very competitive (2nd) in my fall archery league '21. In the spring of '22 i thought i needed to "upgrade" bows and bought the new Ventum PRO at that time. My spring league scores dropped even though it was newer technology. Thankfully i still had my RX1, so i went back to that and sold the Ventum PRO. In the fall of '22 and Spring of '23 i took first in my league with a 7-8 year old bow. Moral of the story, if you do get a new bow, keep the old one for a bit to make sure you two get along.

kpk

WKR
There's no reason to change if you're confident in what you have. Most of the guys I know that buy a new bow every season - never develop confidence in any of them, and never kill anything either. I'm still shooting a Bowtech Experience (10 years old?) and kill several animals with it every year. Only reason I got this one is because a limb started to delam on my previous bow. I haven't looked at new bows in years and probably won't until something lets loose on this one.

Last edited:

Joe Holden

Lil-Rokslider
Sound advice here. I'd say keep going with the setup you currently have that is grouping well at 80 yards and you're confident in.

I shot an 80lb speed bow for awhile as my primary. Enjoyed it, but stepped down to 70lbs with lower let off. Juice wasn't worth the squeeze IMO.

I'm sure the vacation burned, gas, wear and tear on vehicle, nonresident tag fees/points and hunting time is enough to justify having a spare in camp.

I have been shooting an RX1 and very competitive (2nd) in my fall archery league '21. In the spring of '22 i thought i needed to "upgrade" bows and bought the new Ventum PRO at that time. My spring league scores dropped even though it was newer technology. Thankfully i still had my RX1, so i went back to that and sold the Ventum PRO. In the fall of '22 and Spring of '23 i took first in my league with a 7-8 year old bow. Moral of the story, if you do get a new bow, keep the old one for a bit to make sure you two get along.

The RX1 is a shooter. I can’t get rid of it yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk