To many puffys…

Well. The midi will now be my I guess you would say definite go to for everything from a mid to earlier outer. I’ll use a under armor alpine ops down hoody not parka. The midi being synthetic allows me to do more with it. It’s also quieter for bow hunting compared to others. I have had the alpine op pants for two seasons and I love them. Quiet enough to bow hunt in. I’ll list you something hypothetical. Base layer, Sitka kelvin active hoody, Celsius midi then from there you could in my case throw a solitude vest over it or maybe a jetstream or the down jacket. For me I’ve finally started narrowing down all my crazy gear.
You ever feel odd about the kelvin active under another puffy? I don't own one yet but man it intrigues me...

My favorite sitka piece is the core heavyweight. I wear it more than I care ro admit. Do you think the kelvin active is a direct replacement?

Lowg08

WKR
You ever feel odd about the kelvin active under another puffy? I don't own one yet but man it intrigues me...

My favorite sitka piece is the core heavyweight. I wear it more than I care ro admit. Do you think the kelvin active is a direct replacement?
The kelvin active hoody is not a puffy it’s like a fleece with short sleeves. Actually it works out really good. I’ve about stopped using my Klamath which is the same as the HW

V-TRAIN

WKR
I love the Kuiu kenai, not only is it warm, but the face fabric is whisper quiet. I use it also as a pillow at night, works great in one of those smaller size kuiu dry bags.

There’s cheaper REI brand ones that you can get for that. If you have a higher budget, I think the Cirque Jacket from Stone Glacier is the one that will be the most versatile for that weather…heavier than the kenai, has pit zips, synthetic, and a little DWR. I’d only go Grumman if it was much colder and/or I needed to cut weight somewhere. I have an REI Brand puffy that has a laminate and pitzips that is awesome. Called the Stormhenge. I think they still make it.
Can also vouch for the Stonehenge, 850 fp and verified pretty darn waterproof. Will be going back with me this year.

*zap*

WKR
WM flight jacket/vest and Sitka ws down parka. Also rockin the WM flight pants.

Cozy warm stuff......The WM stuff really packs down and re-lofts quickly. The sitka is very, very warm and has a hood....great for extreme cold. The WM flight vest fits in a cargo pocket and can really help warm you.

Last edited:

SODO

FNG
Stone Glacier Grumman is unbelievably warm. Just don’t ever wash it, even with their Down Wash. It loses some warmth. Let it get dirty.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a pair of wm flight pants recently. I put a pair of rei xerodry gtx rain pants on over the wm flight pants and I’m impressed. For weight and packability they are a good combo. I definitely won’t be moving in them though.

MattB

WKR
I was comparing puffy jackets from Kuiu and Sitka and settled on a RAB for less than 1/2 the price with very similar weight/specs. Very happy. The zipper does have the pull on the opposite side (European brand) which takes a little getting used to.

Would go Grumman if I needed to buy from a hunting brand.

2ski

WKR
I thought this was going to be a thread waxing poetically about puffies. To all the puffies....to all the girls I've loved before...

Kidding. Just teasing where you used to where you shouldve used too.

I'm super curious about the stone glacier. I'll be in bozeman tomorrow. Maybe l stop in.