To Hoody or Not to Hoody

Oregonboy

WKR
My max is 2, but I prefer one. I’m fine hunting without one as well. I feel like the newer “athletic fit” hoody’s are too tight on my head.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Which one? How many layers? I've been using a two layer, not this brand, but at -15 I was thinking about dressing a little different.
I have the Dachstein 4-ply hat. It's not cheap, like $80...but I like it and it keeps my head warm. I like a bill so I usually wear my Stormy Kromer, then wear the Dachstein over it. Kept me comfortable around 0° F.

Attachments

• 20221228_092355.jpg
    20221228_092355.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 23

Ralphie

WKR
Hood on my down puffy and rain jacket. Also use a balaclava. Really like the hood on my down puffy, seems like it adds a lot of warmth.

*zap*

WKR
A down balaclava is a great thing to have is you lack hooded tops. Pelaton 97 hooded is awesome. Hood is something I use often but I have 3 down jackets without hoods that is when I use down balaclava

Acidbraker

Lil-Rokslider
For me in cold weather, 3 hoods max - mid, insulation, and shell.

Warmer weather I like having a hood on the base layer to keep the sun off my face a little as that may be the only layer I'm wearing.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m in this camp right here! It all has a hood or it’s not something I’m taking backpacking or hunting.

Definitely; damn near every top I use has a hood and I end up using that hood. On rare occasions (when it's extremely cold) I might have all the hoods up. Usually it's just one, occasionally two, but sometimes more :)

WKR
I like a hood on my outer shell, I don’t own any insulation with a hood. I always have a neck gaiter, balaclava, and some kind of beanie if needed in place of hoods all over the place.
This is exactly what I'm shooting for. I can't stand the loss of hearing from an insulated hood. Rain shell and lightweight sun layer are the only 2 hoods I use.

I run mostly stone glacier and Sitka. My base shirt has no hood, helio hoody-yes, Grumman down-yes. I like the helio if it’s sunny to keep the sun off my neck and a little warmth glassing in the morning. The gruman I do use for warmth when the win is whipping.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
In most of my situations its 1 hood + 1 or 2 hats + 1 neck gaiter or shemagh....whether its hot early season, or freezing cold late season.

Flaboy

Lil-Rokslider
For the past year I’ve been trying to buy everything with hoods. I’d rather have a hood down here in Florida with hot summer days and keeping mosquitos off my neck and ears. I have bulked up on hoods before when it gets cold but it doesn’t really bother me since I’ll most likely have at least one up to keep the cold wind off my neck.

Hood on most everything. To me it was like the revelation of wearing insulated coveralls the first time. Keeps way more heat in and seals the joint at neck.

3 max. Wind shirt with hood (not bulky anyways). Rain jacket and static insulation jacket.
I like my baselayers and mid layers to have zip-necks. Non-Hooded zip-necks seem more conforming around the neck and seal the heat in better when you want them to compared to their hooded versions more often than not imo. I HATE the feeling of a bunch of bulk around my neck when I'm not using them. Even on windy, cold days the jackets with tall stand up collars are enough for me usually. Couldn't imagine hunting with a hood on unless it's rainy.

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
Love having a mid layer with hood for the walk into deer stand in the morning with a ball cap. Really helps keep you warm enough without getting sweated up and can then change into heavier layers at the stand.

Ice fishing hoods are a must when it gets windy. Mids and outer layers generally have hoods.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
After experimenting with a number of brands, I only buy KUIU now, the fit and function suit my best (your experience may differ). Sitka seems to be built for short armed / round waisted hunters, can't seem to find a fit with them, pants don't fit me either. Had a nice tour of their office in Bozeman, nice folks, but clothes don't fit me. To the ?, I always have at least one hooded layer for protection from wind and rain. Hood does a great job blocking wind and retaining heat.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
For me it all depends on the layer. I don't like hoods on base layers. Midlayers I have a bit of both. Rain gear always a hood.