Tires

pirogue

WKR
Cooper ST Maxx 10 ply is what I have right now and theyve been good here in the rocky terrain. I had a set of BFG AT 2 on but wore those tires out way to fast for what I paid for them.
So how are those holding out, and how does the sidewall construction compare to the BFG KO2s? Off-road in the SW has a lot different meaning than off-road in some states. I’ve had 2 sidewall punctures on the same hunt before, on roads that don’t look bad. After that happens, one tends to put sidewall protection over mileage, cost, noise, etc.

SwiftShot

WKR
Falken Wild Peak AT3s. If you deal with snow and ice that tire is it. You can also pick them up in 10 ply. I have been running them for years and spend the winter up high in the mountains, snowboarding and running snow machines. You can easily get 50k if you rotate them regularly. So good everyone I hunt, fish and snowboard with is running them now.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I deal with a lot of ice late Fall through early Spring- that means studs, Nokian Hakkapeliitta studded 10 ply (E rated)

My BFG K02's (that I run the other 6 months) do better in deeper snow, but there is no comparison to a dedicated studded snow tire on packed snow/ice.

The Nokian's wear very well, even the studs. I think this is winter five for them and still lots of life.

fmyth

WKR
Starting to look for tires for the truck.

I drive a lot. I drive a lot of highway for work and also for getting to a hunting area. I work construction, so puncture resistance is a desirable trait. I drive 30k/year so would like some thing that will wear well. I am good about routine maintenance and tire rotation. Being from KS, I get all 4 (sometimes 6) seasons of weather. Snow/wet traction is important as well as off road capability.

I'm specifically looking for recommendations in an "all terrain" tire. What are everyone's thoughts on a 10 ply? Necessary or not?

Thank you!
Tires for what truck? There's a big range between a Ford Maverick and a F550? 2x4 or 4x4? Do you tow a heavy trailer? Drive on gravel roads daily?

Last edited: