Honda CRV tires

Hey guys, does anyone have a suggestion for a set of all-terrain tires on a Honda CRV?

I have been needing to put a new set on and we have elected to drive her CVR rather than my pickup on an impending ski trip. We are going to bring our aging Labrador and the old man can no longer hop up in my truck.

The tires will spend most of their useful life on pavement but need to also be adequate for winter driving and gravel.

I believe the vehicle is a 2014. Currently the tires are 225-65-17 General Altrex. They seem pretty solid in mud and snow but I haven't find them online locally.

My immediate easy button are Nokian Encompass. They seem to get good reviews and I have Discount Tire close by.

Any thoughts? Recommendations for or against any certain brands?

dtrkyman

WKR
I like Bridgestone tires, they do well on the road and are adequate off road. Just make sure you get a set with 3 peak snow rating.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
We have a 2022 CRV, upgraded it to the Michelin Defender LTX ( A Costco version of the Defender) and for the price, when costco runs the Michelin promotion they are hard to beat. We have the same tire, different size on a 96 jeep Cherokee and we have been very happy with them. Have been on fire roads, mud, rain, snow and ice with them and they handle as well as any AT tire I’ve ever used.

Dos XX

WKR
I find that Michelin is always a good answer when the question is what tires to buy.

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
I have the falken wildpeaks AT on my Audi Q5 and I love them.
Similar size rig, ride as nice or better than the standard car tires imo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mmayter9

FNG
+1 for Falken Wildpeaks AT3W for all terrain tires. Though the price is getting close to KO2's, that's another option. Another tire coming up, idk if they have your size though are Kenda Klever AT or RT. Not 3 peak rated but supposedly it's because one of their tire size did not qualify for 3 peak. The Kenda's are still affordable too compared to name brand AT's now.

Felix40

WKR
5FD064F0-7533-4DE9-9E6E-ADEF02F55988.jpegI just put a set of these on my wife’s CRV for this winter. Now her car is better in the snow than my truck. No noticeable difference in handling on the road either.

BigK421

FNG
I've been a mechanic and off-roader my entire life. Take a hard look at the Yokohama Geolander AT's. Your tire size should be 225 65 17. These tires are rated with the 3 peak mountain snowflake symbol meaning they are severe snow rated. I've used this tires personally for many years and they are incredible in the snow. Just a thought...

OP
LongWayAround
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I almost went with the Falkens but stayed with the Knokian. I try not to cut corners on tires but wanted to keep it under $1000 installed. The Falkens seemed to be just a little beefier than I was really needing, we'll see if that was wise or not I suppose.

Mattys010

FNG
I put Goodyear assurance weather ready on my Subaru outback. Handles snow great and is fine on the road too. My buddy just put them on his CRV and is happy too

Michelin CrossClimate2. Just put these on my wife’s Sabaru Ascent about 10k miles ago. I can’t describe how much better they are over OEM. In heavy rain you can’t even tell it’s there. In snow they are amazing. The tread looks strange when you first put them on, but they grow on you. Smooth as silk and high Milage.

Attachments

• 1B39AAC4-31B4-4382-9084-A7A3AE2072FB.jpeg
    1B39AAC4-31B4-4382-9084-A7A3AE2072FB.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 7
My daughter has a Honda CRV. She lives in Idaho. For the snowy weather this time of year she puts on GT Radial Ice Pro SUV 3 tires and she has the studs installed. She loves them and travels all over the passes up there.

Worked/lived in CO and drove from Golden into the high country for work for over 30 yrs. Destination either west of Empire, over the Eisenhower tunnel and north of Silverthorne or SW of Silverthorne past Copper Mt resort. Owned a CRV for a period as well as a Murano plus a pickup. Michelin LTX (Defenders) M&S rated tires did a fine job on the all wheel drive SUVs I drove. Never was stuck in snow, although I spent plenty of time in traffic and having to dodge around spun-out semis, wrecks, etc. Used them year around, even packed a few deer and elk home in them, etc. Great wet road tire too.

Drove a lot of gravel roads in Grand, Summit and Lake
counties around industrial areas. Never had a flat or got stuck, even in mud season with the frost coming out.

Have the Michelin LTX Defender M&S on the F350, F150 and wife’s Nissan Off-road Xterra these days. Fine all around tire for my use. I don’t get into off-road aggressive 4-wheeling with those vehicles as the quad and SxS are better suited for that. But they see plenty of logging roads besides highway. Low rolling resistance tire which is quiet and maximizes fuel economy too.

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I purchased the Yokohama Geolandar a/t g015 from eBay (where I live you cant get AT tires for the CRV) and they should be coming early Oct and ill provide an update once I mount them on.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
I drive an element, kind of the same car. I love the set of Cooper discovery RTX I put on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
LongWayAround
Figured I would update this.

So far my experience with the Knokian tires has been very positive.

We drove over two snow packed mountain passes with really solid performance. I did feel a couple of minor slips cornering on had packed ice. Accelerating uphill in inclement conditions was of no concern. Roads were basically clear on the return.

Since then, I have put a few hundred more miles on the tires. I have driven highway, gravel, mud and snow. The highway noise is noticeably less than the previous tires. Mud/gravel/etcetera, have been no concern.

I would happily recommend these tires for a vehicle that is mainly a commuter and an occasional off-highway or bad weather rig. For something that would regularly see more challenging conditions, I would probably go with the Falkens or similar.