Tipping a hunting guide

bozeman

WKR
Not surprising someone who is willing to go by the name Bozeman thinks their right and everyone else is wrong.
So the popular vote should 'win'? In your mind there is a right/wrong answer here? Isn't the whole concept of tipping 'subjective'? Where did I say anyone was wrong? Quite the contrary...…….

Ratbeetle

WKR
So the popular vote should 'win'? In your mind there is a right/wrong answer here? Isn't the whole concept of tipping 'subjective'? Where did I say anyone was wrong? Quite the contrary...…….

Fwiw, I agree with you. Tipping was once a way to reward service that went above and beyond. Now it's become nothing more than supplementary income that people feel entitled to. Just look at servers at restaurants. They expect 15% for doing nothing more than being able to breathe and not bring you fish when you ordered steak.

Excuse me, but isn't that your job? How is that going above and beyond. They want 18-20% now for simply keeping your glass full.

No different than guiding really. Oh, you're getting me on animals? Great...but what else were you going to do today? Was your employer paying you to sleep in and stay at camp all day before I showed up?

When it is expected, it's no longer a tip.

With that said, I'm not a total asshole so I tip where customary...just hate the entitlement attitude.

JohnnyB

WKR
The system of tipping has a net effect of moving the costs out of the taxable portion of income to the cash column. The business would spend $1500 to get $1000 to the guide, who would then see that reduced to $700. If I give the guide $1000 cash, my outfitter theoretically saved $1500 and my guide has $300 extra to spend.

This system isn’t perfect and is subject to abuse by all parties but for me, any dollar kept away from big government spenders is a win.

Trial153

WKR
Wondering how people thought process changes when they pay extra for say a 1 to 1 up grade. Typically that anywhere from 500 to 2000 more.

Ratbeetle

WKR
The system of tipping has a net effect of moving the costs out of the taxable portion of income to the cash column. The business would spend $1500 to get $1000 to the guide, who would then see that reduced to $700. If I give the guide $1000 cash, my outfitter theoretically saved $1500 and my guide has $300 extra to spend.

This system isn’t perfect and is subject to abuse by all parties but for me, any dollar kept away from big government spenders is a win.

First you're assuming that the amount they make with tips now would be the rate guides agree to work for under market conditions. Hunters might be paying more or less once the dust settles.

Second, those tips are taxable. Of course I'm sure many aren't reporting. Not that I disagree since income tax is theft.

WCB

WKR
And there it is folks...…..don't tip, don't come back...….entitlement mentality......don't complain about society or any generation/demographic who expects 'more'...………cracks me up!
Your right on the "don't come back" part for someone with your attitude. You're stating no tip not ever because you don't like it even though you know it is the norm in the industry. I never said that anyone has to tip' even more so on a subjective % basis. But, if I have the choice to guide you knowing no matter what I will make X amount or I can guide anyone else in camp and still make X amount and POSSIBLY more...who do you think I'm going to choose? I don't believe I'm entitled a tip for just showing up...but I do believe that I would benefit by not offering you my services as a guide.

MtGomer

WKR
It’s worth remembering that most reputable outfitters- the ones that you want to go with- have wait lists. They can be a little selective on who they take on and many are. That would be why somebody mentioned you may not be welcome back if you didn’t tip your guide.
Example; I’m going moose hunting in 2021, and have had it locked in now for 6 months and only got that because somebody else canceled, otherwise it was 2022.
That camp doesn’t need me or my money. There are 10 guys that would take my spot right now, and they tip.

Pepe55

FNG
We've tipped but Bose has a point, $20 thousand for a ten day trip, I never made $2000 a day where does the money go

kiddogy

WKR
Imagine not paying a restaurant server because you think the owner should be paying them more.
I will tip well in a restaurant, IF, they do a good job . if I think they suck , will leave a penny ,just so they know I didn't forget to tip.

see no reason tipping guides should be any different .

if you are happy with the service provided, tip them . if you are exstatic with the service , tip well and if you think they were incompitant and basically a total drain to humanity, don't tip.
it really isn't rocket science, do what feels right ,to you.

Last edited:

Boog304

FNG
Do you tip a guide that you hire to drop you off/ pick you up in a certain place on a horse trail and pay for animal pack? We did tip but these are two “al a carte” services that were priced to us by the outfitter and I didn’t know what was expected...

AKBorn

WKR
It is an industry standard, and you know it, and the outfitter knows that you know it.

I have only been on two guided excursions in my life, plus I’ve worked as help for one...

"Industry standard" is one of the dumbest terms ever created. Who defines the industry standard - the seller? That makes as much sense as diamond brokers coming up with the concept of the engagement ring several decades ago. And two months salary supposedly is (or was) the "industry standard" for how much an engagement ring should cost?

IMO no one has the right to EXPECT a tip - a tip is DISCRETIONARY, so why would anyone expect it?

These tips threads always make me shake my head.

MtGomer

WKR
"Industry standard" is one of the dumbest terms ever created. Who defines the industry standard - the seller? That makes as much sense as diamond brokers coming up with the concept of the engagement ring several decades ago. And two months salary supposedly is (or was) the "industry standard" for how much an engagement ring should cost?

IMO no one has the right to EXPECT a tip - a tip is DISCRETIONARY, so why would anyone expect it?

These tips threads always make me shake my head.

Is hunting/selling hunts an industry?
Is it standard practice to tip guides?

Obviously the answer to both is yes, therefore ‘industry standard’ would be a correct term, but you are free to use any other term that you like better.
If I said people that tip well are the shit, it would be a compliment. If I said people that stiff waiters, guides, are shit, it would be an insult. The English language doesn’t make a ton of sense all the time, but I didn’t invent it, nor it’s terms.

Hmm,
As someone who is a guide and about to take clients out in a very limited draw unit in CO, I find this very interesting.
I have been a guide for 15 years and work my ass off to make sure everything is done well and at least deliver one opportunity for my clients to harvest per season.
- I have only been stiffed one time ever and that was after multiple days of getting on animals. Those people were ignorant, straight up. They were NOT welcomed back the next year, because they were a giant pain in the ass for my boss. Not tipping was just the icing on the cake. My boss took that as disrespectful to me.
- One thing to say right now is whether you like it or not, the outfitter in the zone you will be guided is a steward of the land. The guides are the boots on the ground executing all that needs to be done to protect a resource and tradition that is fading. I use my time with clients to educate them on the ecosystem and its increasing fragility. I educate them on what methods for hunting I use in my local area, so that they can stake out on their own the next year if they choose. I educate them on the fact that our Forest Service and other agencies are severely understaffed and out-manned. We have to self govern and protect what we have. I feel like I have done my job when I know they understand enough to form thier own opinions. The animal taken is the goal, but the journey is what lasts. This tradition must persist.
- I'm not gonna tell you how much to tip. But I will wrangle horses at 4am, and light your fire before you get up. I will endure horse wrecks packing out camp in 3' blizzards after season is over. Those are the little things. But It's a 365/24/7 job securing the future of this sport. How much is that worth to you?
- Maybe my approach to guiding is not "Industry Standard", but I get repeat bookings every year and have never been stiffed. Except that one time. And they were ignorant.
- Also, I'm a bartender, snowmobile guide, whitewater guide, and own another business that employs 17 people. Let the games begin

bozeman

WKR
Broken- tip of the hat to you!

In all honesty- is that the ‘norm’ in the ‘industry’ and a set standard?

MtGomer

WKR
Broken states he has been a guide for 15 years and has only been stiffed once.

Bozeman then asks him if tipping is standard. Are you working with a full deck, here? Has the Kombucha not worn off?

It's like anything...tip.ahoukd reflect the service provided.

I've tipped 10%-20% depending on the guide.

I think a good guideline for tipping is: don't be a dick...treat them how you would like to be treated.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR
While I've never used a hunting guide I do pay to go Sport Fishing and have always given a tip to the first mate,having done so always leaves me wondering why?
You,me,the waitress,guide and first mate all go to work each day hopefully giving each customer 100% effort as we should,after all that's why we do what we do because we enjoy it.
I don't understand why food delivery and things associated with enjoyable pursuits have a tip connected to them?
My thought has been that the employer doesn't pay their employees enough and tips fill the gap?
I would rather have the owner of the boat just charge me more up front so there isn't the need to carry all that cash when I go out fishing,I'm sure lots of hunters may feel the same way.

Anyway, I'll continue to tip because that's how the game is played.

bozeman

WKR
Broken states he has been a guide for 15 years and has only been stiffed once.

Bozeman then asks him if tipping is standard. Are you working with a full deck, here? Has the Kombucha not worn off?

I was asking in reference to his actions as a guide that he explicitly lists out........have you added anything of substance to this thread or like most of society, can’t have a discussion with someone who questions your philosophy without personal degradation?