Tipping a hunting guide

MattB

WKR
I was a valet while in college at a very nice hotel/conference center. Whether it was .10 or $10, I was grateful as it was more than I had when I started my day. I could have chosen to continue in that profession or finish my education and move on to other careers; either way I made the choice and never expected anyone to 'give me' anything. I knew the hourly wage, I knew the hours and I knew the demands of the work...……..why expect more? Fundamental flaw in a person's logic to place their well being on 'subjective tips' and then feel degraded or ungrateful when they receive one, no matter the amount.

As far as the power company argument goes; flawed logic. The agreement was with the outfitter for the price of the hunt, which is paid upfront...…..doesn't even make sense. Not following that line of reasoning when it comes to comparing ones thoughts on the 'tip' mentality.

What doesn't make sense is your undying belief that social convention can't still exist outside of a legal contract. Using words like "logic" and "sense" deosn't make that ignorance seem any smarter.

the_bowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I stopped using most social media because of all of the keyboard warriors and cry babies! Didn’t think I would see so much of that here on Rokslide but then I again I can be wrong!

Some of y’all need to get into the woods and get off your phones before you embarrass yourself anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR
But the prices are higher so everything is pre built in. I like having the option. Buy a $30.00 steak dinner and great service maybe I leave a $10.00 tip or maybe poor/average service a couple bucks maybe nothing.

Or buy the same meal for ? $40.00...$45.00 and get horrible service I'm still paying the same price or more? I know a few really good hard working servers that make close to 6 figures that would quit in a minute if they were paid $15.00 an hour and no chance for tips. And they do not work in high end restaurants but hey work their butts off.

I was just relaying what I saw in Europe,I have only chartered fishing boats and gladly tipped the first mate.

2five7

WKR
Lol, you got me pegged for sure.

I don't go guided. Never have and after the entitlement attitude and outright disdain for hunters displayed by many "guides" in this very thread, I seriously doubt I ever will.
So you aren't a guide, and you've never been on a guided hunt? So your opinion on this matter is worth how much exactly?

Ratbeetle

WKR
So you aren't a guide, and you've never been on a guided hunt? So your opinion on this matter is worth how much exactly?

It's worth exactly what you paid for it. Minus the tip of course...that's going to be extra.

Thinking like yours is exactly how businesses lose customers. But please keep going, the insights you're providing to the forum about how guides feel about their hunters is enlightening and I'm enjoying watching you step on your ****.

Last edited:

2five7

WKR
It's worth exactly what you paid for it. Minus the tip of course...that's going to be extra.

Thinking like yours is exactly how businesses lose customers. But please keep going, the insights you're providing to the forum about how guides feel about their hunters is enlightening and I'm enjoying watching you step on your ****.

75% of our clients are returning customers, I don't know how that compares to other outfitters, but it seems pretty good to me.

As far as how guides feel about their hunters, we only feel that way about the ones that jerk us around when it comes time to show their appreciation, which comes in the form of a tip.

PA Hunter

WKR
I see nothing wrong with being as generous as I can with my guide, camp cook, wrangler ect. I might make a friend or two for future hunts and I actually have a few times. I have had pretty good experiences overall especially in Wyoming. Maybe I am the model hunter for a guide I don’t complain and I listen to the guides best I can. Always seems to be that one toolbag hunter or two in the group when I go though that is a chronic complainer and can’t follow directions. I will continue tipping based on how I feel they worked for me regardless if I’m successful.

Did I mention how impressed I was with the people of Wyoming, by far the friendliest state I have been to yet.

MSZ

FNG
I am going on a mule deer hunt in Montana. It is my first guided hunt and I am not sure what to tip. There will be 2 hunters per guide. Can I get some help on how much each one of us should tip considering the guide does a good job. The cost of the hunt is $3600 for 4 days. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Happy

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Man I love watching a dumpster fire I'm not involved in.
This is fun and enlightening on both sides.

AKBorn

WKR
Keep in mind that most guides have other jobs also, and they have booked that week off from their other job, to help you be successful in your hunt. The money they get from the outfitter, (usually a daily rate), and your gratuity is all the money they will make that week.

Don't punish your guide for being good at his job, by giving him a lesser tip, because you killed your animal early in the hunt.
If the guide "booked that week off from their other job" - how much "knowledge" are you really getting? You may have a guide that doesn't know the area any better than you, hasn't even been to that area until your hunting trip, and in fact is just an avid hunter who opted to take and pass the guide exam.

I know there are a lot of worthy guides out there, but there is a larger number of these than you would think, at least there used to be in Alaska. Lots of assistant guides from out of state, with very limited knowledge of the area being hunted, and not terribly extensive knowledge of the quarry or the techniques used to hunt them...

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
This mentality is exactly why hunting has become a rich mans sport... at one time I laughed at Someone that said that, but it’s becoming more and more true.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You're the kind of guy that we drag around the mountain for endless miles, in the areas with no animals, for about 3 days. Then we will allow you to shoot one on day 4 or 5, your type is easy to pick out of a group in hunting camp. Then they'll try and re-book for next year, but sadly, we are all booked up :D

this is why I have no respect for “guides”. This perfectly sums up the guiding industry.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If the guide "booked that week off from their other job" - how much "knowledge" are you really getting? You may have a guide that doesn't know the area any better than you, hasn't even been to that area until your hunting trip, and in fact is just an avid hunter who opted to take and pass the guide exam.

I know there are a lot of worthy guides out there, but there is a larger number of these than you would think, at least there used to be in Alaska. Lots of assistant guides from out of state, with very limited knowledge of the area being hunted, and not terribly extensive knowledge of the quarry or the techniques used to hunt them...

yup quality non resident guides here in AK are few and far between. The good ones are people you know by name.

Michael54

WKR
75% of our clients are returning customers, I don't know how that compares to other outfitters, but it seems pretty good to me.

As far as how guides feel about their hunters, we only feel that way about the ones that jerk us around when it comes time to show their appreciation, which comes in the form of a tip.
If thats the case if i ever book with you guys let me know in advance and ill tip at the beginning 🤣🤣

TNElker

FNG
I’ve tipped and not tipped. I’ve tipped above 20%, but generally around 15%, depending.

Having some “at risk” income for your guide/cooks/etc. is smart for you and the outfitter just like having bonuses is for salaried employees. Tips give you the opportunity to incent the best effort from your guide. Without it, YOU lose the ability to incent and reward the guide for doing their best effort for you.

If they work hard to give you a great experience, reward them. If they don’t, let them know via your tip. As a “grown ass man” I’ll usually explain why to them in either case.

The amounts should be relative to the effort/difficulty and not results, or the outfitters general responsibilities. That is generally reflected in hunt costs. The harder and more remote, the higher cost and the more effort matters.

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
How many of you get tips at your day jobs? If not would you work harder for the possibility of a tip? Or do you already do your best?

Mojave

WKR
I am of the theory the tips are a pain in the ass in the system we are stuck with.

10% might be a typical tip or what is considered to be a standard tip but I don’t think that it is representative of what the guiding industry should want. Especially those in the industry that consider themselves to be professionals. I am a professional and no one has ever given me a tip.

I have been on five guided hunts. And tipped 5-20 percent every time based on norms and the country. In Europe it is very uncommon for European hunters to give a tip.

Most European hunting guides work as forestry professionals or gamekeepers and are not paid very well. But they’re professionals and most of them do not expect or want a tip.

Most of my hands have been in Europe or Namibia with outfitters that typically take European clients.

colersu22

WKR
It’s very interesting reading this thread. I never would have thought after paying for the hunt that I should tip. I hate tipping at restaurants just because people expect it now and I don’t eat out often but can’t remember the last time I had such great service that I thought I should tip. My solution is to just not eat out anymore and problem solved.