Tip suggestion: seated shots?

Even better if your hunting buddy can carry the deployed tripod on the stalk.

I carried around my 9lb sand schmedium on my pronghorn hunt and would again. I am near prone stable off a tac table kneeling with that sand bag.
My dad and I just killed 2 pronghorn both at 360 yards fully standing from my tripod (different locations/days). I oddly enough found it easy-ish to carry my rifle/tripod together with my rifle clamped in via its ARCA rail for short distance maneuvering as I was getting a good angle on the antelope. Had to go mostly lateral about 100 yards and carrying it that way was the most convenient.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In one hand tripod setup with 3.5 feet of leg out, small tac table and a bag wedged in the legs folded up, in the other your rifle. Will cover anything. Even better if your hunting buddy can carry the deployed tripod on the stalk.

I carried around my 9lb sand schmedium on my pronghorn hunt and would again. I am near prone stable off a tac table kneeling with that sand bag.
A bag and table is very stable. I agree, near prone, and certainly stable enough for 450-500ish depending on caliber.

That is also one way that I shoot, depending upon on the situation. It isn’t my backcountry set up. Although I carry a much lighter version than a sand filled bag, one that I designed with Marc, a match director for NRL Hunter here in AZ.

Anyone wanting to try it, no risk if you don’t like it. Also reach out for discussion if you want before.

Attachments

• IMG_7441.png
    IMG_7441.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7330.jpeg
    IMG_7330.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7332.jpeg
    IMG_7332.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 5

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My dad and I just killed 2 pronghorn both at 360 yards fully standing from my tripod (different locations/days). I oddly enough found it easy-ish to carry my rifle/tripod together with my rifle clamped in via its ARCA rail for short distance maneuvering as I was getting a good angle on the antelope. Had to go mostly lateral about 100 yards and carrying it that way was the most convenient.
I thought I was the only one to do that. Never heard anyone else admit to it.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A hatch will do it for 60% less, but ultimately, they both suck.

If I wanted to use a tall bipod, I would use a tripod and cut one leg off. In fact, I practice with two legs on occasion. But, it is a lot less stable and needs a lot more rear support.

I have a small tripod that I use as a bipod, I just shorten the leg and it points out under the barrel or right under the forend depending.

hunterjmj

WKR
Just received a tac table and mini tacky the other day from hereinaz. Took both out today shooting rocks and prairie dogs. The mini tacky is now a permanent must have piece of gear for me during hunting. I used it today on a boulder, off the tac table and a tree limb. It sticks well to surfaces and cradles the rifle nice. I was shooting prairie dogs off the tac table/mini tacky on my Sirui tripod. I now know why a shooting tripod is so much better than lightweight glassing tripod. I had no issues shooting prairie dogs at 250 with that combo and using my backpack as a rear support. Further distances I don't feel the Sirui would be solid enough.
I guess I'll have to get a shooting tripod now along with a variety of different bags.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
A hatch will do it for 60% less, but ultimately, they both suck. Played with both.
If you are unimpressed with what is currently on the market for a two legged support from $100 to $1000, perhaps it is time to move on to the extra legged option

There is no magical design for two connected sticks waiting to happen that will be better than a tripod and as light or lighter than current bipods out there

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you are unimpressed with what is currently on the market for a two legged support from $100 to $1000, perhaps it is time to move on to the extra legged option

There is no magical design for two connected sticks waiting to happen that will be better than a tripod and as light or lighter than current bipods out there
Agreed. Consider ditching the bipod and put that weight to upgrade to a stronger tripod—took me a long time to reach that conclusion. It’s not for everyone, but more people should be open to it.

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv gotten to play with it all. And as noted, my favorite is still a bag on a tripod. I just swap bags as necessary. The lighter fills are not as stable, it’s a trade off. I can use that same bag prone, off a log or rock or whenever as well.

Tripod rear is awesome, but you’re not tracking anything for follow ups, and it takes a while to deploy, along with practice.

I can’t see walking around with a triple pull but maybe one day.

Good to have options. It sure is easy to make a good shot when your wobble is near zero. This is what I always go for now. If I’m not thinking about my wobble it means I can think about my trigger pull.

I thought I was the only one to do that. Never heard anyone else admit to it.
It would probably freak some people out. I did it with the tripod legs extended far enough for standing position, but all 3 legs together. The rifle was clipped in and I was only holding the tripod legs with the rifle just hanging over my back with the muzzle pointed up (nothing in the chamber). The only thing keeping it from falling was the Anvil head clamping onto the rifle's ARCA rail which I trust completely.

Basically like this but with a rifle and not a camera. In a flat prairie there wasn't really a concern of it catching on anything so it was nice for short distance repositioning for my shot.

T151tripodbig_e85464dc-7514-4a1b-86cb-ed4a68e43515.jpg

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It would probably freak some people out. I did it with the tripod legs extended far enough for standing position, but all 3 legs together. The rifle was clipped in and I was only holding the tripod legs with the rifle just hanging over my back with the muzzle pointed up (nothing in the chamber). The only thing keeping it from falling was the Anvil head clamping onto the rifle's ARCA rail which I trust completely.

Basically like this but with a rifle and not a camera. In a flat prairie there wasn't really a concern of it catching on anything so it was nice for short distance repositioning for my shot.

T151tripodbig_e85464dc-7514-4a1b-86cb-ed4a68e43515.jpg
I carry my binos, spotter, and rifle like that…

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Agreed. Consider ditching the bipod and put that weight to upgrade to a stronger tripod—took me a long time to reach that conclusion. It’s not for everyone, but more people should be open to it.
My body feels every ounce these days. There’s just no way I’m carrying a big tripod in the mountains. Long before I do that, I’ll just pass on shots. I hike far more than I shoot on a hunt.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My body feels every ounce these days. There’s just no way I’m carrying a big tripod in the mountains. Long before I do that, I’ll just pass on shots. I hike far more than I shoot on a hunt.
At 52, me too. Leaving the bipod gives me weight for the tripod. When people weigh their load out of bipod and tripod, they will see. And, they have to make sacrifices for height and stability.

It’s not for everyone and it depends on shooting style/hunting, but there are many that should switch and be amazed at the difference.

My tripod and head is just under 4 pounds. I am 6’2” and it extends to standing height to glass and is stable to shoot standing

The Gunwerks Revic Hunter tripod and Gunwerks 2.0 Bipod weigh more than 4 pounds per their web specs. But, the tripod can’t extend as tall as mine or as stable.

A hatch tall tripod and Tricer AD tripod are lightweight and high quality. They weigh more than 4 pounds.